So I just started playing Acoustic and I'm doin Ok learning all the chords and then when I go to play the songs I find that most of them need you to switch between from a CMajor to a Gmajor very fast. I'm finding it incredibly hard to do this is there any trick behind this or is it just a lot of practice?
Defintly lots of practice.

Try playing them back to back slowly. Make sure they're cleanly played with no muted strings. Soon enough you'll get it.

Chord switching is hard at first, but once you get good at it, the rest of the chords will follow.
Keep practicing and you will eventually get it. You could also try barre chords as both C and G are third fret chords.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
which way are you doing it?
are you doing:

X32010 to 320033?

cos you could easily do:

X32033 to 320033

OR

X35533 to 355433

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
You could try play C like this 0320xx and G like this 320xxx. I think that's easier way to play this chords
well you should be using your little finger on the top E for the g chord , that way you only have to move your ring finger and middle finger up a string while changing form C to G... it also means you can make it G7 with the spare index finger
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by dantheman558
which way are you doing it?
are you doing:

X32010 to 320033?

cos you could easily do:

X32033 to 320033

OR

X35533 to 355433

He/she could, but a third of those aren't the correct chords.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Just practice switching chords slowly, it shouldnt take all that long. I would learn the basic open position chords before worrying about inversions and extensions.
The biggest trick is that you need to try to move all your fingers at the same time, so they all lift off and touch at the same time.
I would suggest against the different chords listed here. Sure, it would be easier, but you need to learn how to do it from 032010 to 320003, in order to become a better guitarist. Just practice every day. You may feel like you're not making progress, but you are. Just because you practiced for an hour and still can't make the switch doesn't mean you didn't make any progress.

Also, X32033 is not a C major.

EDIT: ^What he said. And also, make sure that you're not muting any strings when you switch. You need to play the chords right, or you'll form bad habits.
Last edited by Ninjamonkey767 at Jan 27, 2009,
Don't listen to the people telling you to barre it - when first starting out open chords and simple scales should definitely be the starting point. Learn all the open chords fluently before moving on to barre chords. Too many people on these forums tell newcomers to the instrument to push on too quickly.
Don't look for tricks or shortcuts. Learn things the right way the first time, and practice them until you can do them correctly.

Spend 4 hours a day just changing between the C and G chords over and over if that's what it takes. Repetition will "program" your muscles to do the movements without much thought.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ