I slap a lot like Les Claypool, where the notes are fully pressed and ring out a little. But I'd like to learn more subtle percussive slapping like you might hear in jazz/funk/soul.

Someone told me you do this by slightly touching the string right above the fret, but it doesn't sound like I think it should, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any advice welcome.
i don't understand your question,if you want to play ghost notes just slap the string while muting it with your fretting hand...
Quote by Taygunov
i don't understand your question,if you want to play ghost notes just slap the string while muting it with your fretting hand...

What I mean to say is, are you supposed to hold your fretting hand fingers directly above the fret, or slightly beside it?
i guess personal preference. As long as it's muting the string (and isnt on any harmonic) it doesn't matter.
Like Taygunov said, and then try hammering on with your fetting hand in quick succesion, you can get some cool mute rolls that way, think like the lacquer head bass solo after the first chorus...and mute poppings always cool in my book to

just play around
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Maybe some left hand slaps would also help, well thy would give you a very rythmic sound.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thats kinda what I mean (left hand slap)

also try muting strings and rippin' out tappin riffs

tis mean
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I didnt realise i was doing till iheard about it and thought i would learn it, then discovered i already had it down.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I didnt realise i was doing till iheard about it and thought i would learn it, then discovered i already had it down.

Actually me too. I used to hit the fretboard in-between playing notes with my right hand, but didn't know it was a real technique.