Finally finished! I'm really happy, it turned out sooo nice. It took about a week to finish the shaping and routing and all that stuff, and like another week to do the finish, which is a dark stain with like 8 or 9 coats of profin. It's a three piece mahogany body with dimarzio split P pups. The neck (don't kill me for this) was bought for 40 bucks off of rondomusic.com. I know people don't like rondo, but it was only $40! It stays straight, and thats all that i care about. It's wired like a jazz bass with a phase reverse switch, although i can't tell which way is reversed and which isn't, but they both sound good. Got some nice DR lo-riders for it, great strings.

Okay, now for what you came for...

what do you think?
Spiffy. I personally love Rondo.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
nice job man
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
nice dude!

but the headstock is way too bright compared to the sweet ass body

you might wanna change the neck in the long run
Looks good dude! I didn't know Rondo had a bad reputation...seems loved in the guitar side of UG Anyway, good job!
Quote by munkyRobb
nice dude!

but the headstock is way too bright compared to the sweet ass body

you might wanna change the neck in the long run

Yeah man, I know. I built the body in my beginner woodshop class, and I got my schedule changed so i'm taking advanced woodshop next semester. so i'm going to try to actually make one.

Quote by eyebanez333
Looks good dude! I didn't know Rondo had a bad reputation...seems loved in the guitar side of UG Anyway, good job!

Well, I have seen people bash on sx basses, so... you know
Last edited by Duck In A Hat at Jan 26, 2009,
Sweet! Where did you get the blueprints for the body?
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by SG6578
Sweet! Where did you get the blueprints for the body?

No blue prints, i found a picture of an old explorer bass, blew it up to size in paint and traced it lol.
I assume you had a special printer then haha
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
I hope you're joking!
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
nope, I'm serious.

But I only traced the outline for the body, the pickup and neck cavities i got templates for and i measured out where the bridge went, so I don't see a problem with tracing off the computer
That's nuts! That just seems like way too much work to make a template. I would have screwed it up.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I like the headstock, it makes it look like an old 60's bass or something, you know? Where the headstock doesn't match at all. It gives it a unique flavor.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by chuckflan333
That's nuts! That just seems like way too much work to make a template. I would have screwed it up.

oh, I didn't make the templates, ordered some from stew mac
I mean for the body.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Hmm how's the intonation on this? I dunno if it's just the pictures, but the bridge looks too far back? I may be wrong, though! I dunno why they don't make more basses with two P pups, I'd love a P pup at the bridge, must sound very burpy.
^ it's pure sex actually. and the intonation is prefect, it looks weird because the neck pocket on explorers is farther up.
Quote by Duck In A Hat
^ it's pure sex actually. and the intonation is prefect, it looks weird because the neck pocket on explorers is farther up.

Soundclips

I'm just having a chuckle to myself, using the same basic shape (yours and the Thunderbird (Bottom horn especially)), one person makes a great bass with perfect fret access, while the large company (Gibson) make it without any fret access past the 13/14 fret. So, you've beat Gibson in my eyes!
Quote by Micehorns
Soundclips

I'm just having a chuckle to myself, using the same basic shape (yours and the Thunderbird (Bottom horn especially)), one person makes a great bass with perfect fret access, while the large company (Gibson) make it without any fret access past the 13/14 fret. So, you've beat Gibson in my eyes!

Thank you

i wish i had a mic to record with

maybe next time i go to my drummer's place i can record some
Sweet! You should buy a different headstock. I am going to make a guitar body in tech ed(woodshop) at the end of the year for my free project. I also am refinishing a Peavey Strat knockoff.