I just recently got the amp mentioned above as my first tube amplifier. However, I think it may have a problem. Whenever the volume is above 2-3, there will be a very annoying and loud rattling sound if I play a note on either the E or A string. It seems to get worse the longer I have my amp on, but I may be imagining that. Is there something wrong with the amp?

I've got some new information on the problem

Every time I first turn the amp on, the problem doesn't occur
However when I play for a bit, it gradually becomes worse and worse

There's also another problem with the amp. The reverb sometimes works the whole time I have the amp on for one time, but it sometimes doesn't, regardless of footswitch activity.
Last edited by RuroKen34 at Feb 15, 2009,
Check the screws anywhere on the amp. Next, check the room you are playing in. See if there are any objects that could be rattling. Play a note that usually rattles then walk around the room trying to find where the sound is coming from. I know the lights in my downstairs rattle when I play. If not, it could be the amp. But more than likely it is something in the room.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I've checked and it seems to be coming from the amp's left speaker. Maybe just in that area
Chech all the screws and what not.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
errr i just got rid of my 65. honestly i think as nasty of an amp as it is, it just has some really finicky things with that vintage circuitry. what tho do u mean by rattling? is it a physical raddle from a part of the amp? or is it some type of distortion/buzz coming from the speaker?
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
tubes! i got the same thing with my champ - when the preamp tube was microphonic!

screw the back off, check the tubes by tapping them with a pencil or something, if one rattles - that's the one!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hoondog
errr i just got rid of my 65. honestly i think as nasty of an amp as it is

Whats wrong with you?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
That just happened to my friend's amp, and it was a bad preamp tube. Take it to a shop and have it checked out.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite