I had been experiencing severe (really, brings me almost to tears severe) pain in my wrist over the last few weeks so decided to go to the doctors this morning to get it checked out.

It's RSI. He gave me some anti-inflammatory and told me I can't even touch a guitar for two weeks.

Now thats all well and good, but I'm half way through a foundation degree in "popular music" (playing guitar..) and if I miss two weeks (then another two burning off the chop-drop) I'm going to be in a pretty terrible position as far as passing this course goes.

So..

Does anybody know of any ways to speed up the healing process? Any magic, voodoo or hoo-haa welcomed. I need all the help I can get!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
oddly enough, i'd listen to the doctor. Being as he's well.........a doctor
Dude, that's tough. Which wrist is it in? If not both, fret while a friend plays, or vice-versa :P.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon!
Quote by Mazzakazza
Dude, that's tough. Which wrist is it in? If not both, fret while a friend plays, or vice-versa :P.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon!

Its my LEFT wrist (fretting hand) .

Anyone have any experience playing wrong handed with a foot to strum with?
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by willieturnip
Its my right wrist (fretting hand) .

Anyone have any experience playing wrong handed with a foot to strum with?

I'm afriad you're going to ask Jimi Hendrix.. he has lots of experience with that :P
pray to god you don't jerk it with that hand too, or you're gonna be missing a lot of action for the next few weeks
I'm amazed nobody else picked up on that.
Unfortunately, RSI treatment cannot be rushed. I've read a research recently which said that some higher than usual protein consumption (especially fibre type proteins,colagen) may SLIGHTLY reduce recovery time, but we are probably talking a day at most.
Quote by Adam Loeke
You probably got it from the computer keyboard.

Or the 6-10 hours a day, every day for the last few months..

Actually the doctor said it might have been the switch to the SG at christmas. Totally different neck to my strat. I bloody well hope not though, I love this SG to death .
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']pray to god you don't jerk it with that hand too, or you're gonna be missing a lot of action for the next few weeks
I'm amazed nobody else picked up on that.

I actually think we did :P, i don't know why anyone didn't mention it.. but well done for stepping up son..

You actually will miss a lot of FAP.. unless you have a girlfriend, which is anotehr good thing.

She can fret for you / strum for you... / .. other... erm... stuff...?
No worries. Right hand fap, left hand fret.

"unless you have a girlfriend"?

I'm on a guitar forum, what do you think? It's the only scenario where guitar's aren't cool and I'm a part of it.

Girlfriend my arse..
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Well... Not sure if you've noticed.. but i'm also on a guitar forum?
and IMO i think that anyone should be using this forum?

I bet you'll find many people on this forum with girlfriends , (Including myself).

So like.. stuff? XD.
I had a girlfriend once....good times.....

Maybe you shouldn't play for 6-10 hours a day? It's a bit excessive even for some one in your position.
Jimi Hendrix > All

Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone Les Paul (SD JB + 59)
Epiphone Dot (Dirty Fingers + 57 Classic)
Yamaha FG700S Acoustic

Crate V-18 212

Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Sovtek Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Boss BD-2
Boss BF-2
Maybe try some different tuning which require different positions of your fretting hand over the usual shapes? At least you'll stay somewhat current with your playing?

Another way to look at it is: take your time, let it heal properly. If you fail the course, no big deal, I'm sure you can re-take it. If you wrist doesn't heal properly, that's a much bigger deal, because it could hurt your playing for the rest of your life.

--- D
Also, even if you have to take the course over again, consider the pros: more time to perfect your technique and get everything down pad. Can you really complain about that?
Seriously, I've have had that too. Back when I was 23-24 years only. I used to rockclimb a lot also. My left wrist hurt so back that if I were to just bump it would kill kill me. I put it in a brace at times. I still did play guitar (a little at a time) I just had to hold up upright. That condition would come and go every six months or so for a few years. The past 10 years its never returned even after doing blue collar work all of the while. Just don't push it. It sucks.
AL
Quote by strekship
Let it heal correctly or you could do permanent damage.

Listen to this guy.
ಠ_ಠ
Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead wheres an arm brace of some kind.

But it's on the strumming hand.
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Learn to play the guitar left handed, and then just the fretting hand. I'm serious this is a great oppurtunity.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73