hey everyone,
so i have a line 6 spider III (no need to flame, i know it sucks) and i was eager to get some sort of tone for cheap. I was curious what would happen if i took an old piece of particle board and basically taped it to the back of the amp, and to my amazement, i swore it sounded better with less harshness and more body. I left about 3 inches of space on the top for the wire.

I am just wondering if any of you have ever tried something like this with any results? do you think i should make it permanent, or could it all just be a matter of tweaking the eq? also, could this possibly harm the amp/speaker since it wasnt designed for the increased pressure? any thoughts/opinions would be great

edit: i cant test it now, but i realized the amp was about 3 ft away from a wall in my room...could the closed back simply be stopping the sound from reflecting off the wall, and really have no affect on the raw sound of the amp?
Last edited by eric1123 at Jan 26, 2009,
No, whether or not it was near the wall won't have much effect on tone.

Where it is makes a lot of the sound... but...

Just screw a back on, it will sound as Jim has described.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I was wondering this too. My Vypyr doesn't sound tight enough with the open back and I just can't get a good bassy chug out of it... would this help? I'd just be taping it, so I don't void the warranty.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Øttər
No, whether or not it was near the wall won't have much effect on tone.

oh yes it will.

even if it isnt an open backed cab/combo you will get all sorts of tonal differences depending on where you put it in relation to a wall. both distance and angle will make a difference as will facing it out of a corner. try all of them.
Thank you please.
Quote by Øttər
Where it is makes a lot of the sound... but...

Yeah, I know.

But it won't make much of difference to whether or not it sounds like a closed back or open back.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Invader Jim
Make it permanent. And yes, it'll sound better. Better bass response and more balls.

Don't tape it, though. Screw it on.

Hmmm. I've wanted to do this to the Palo too.... It doesn't push the sound like I want it to. Will this help that too?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
This will make the amp sound tighter and improve bass and ball size. Everything you guys wanna get can prolly be achieved by making it a closed-back. Just remember to make it 'air-tight'. Not ACTUALLY air-tight, but you know. Tape won't cut it.