I am looking at a Mesa/Boogie amp around £1000, i ahve tried the Express 5:25 which was awesome was wondering are there any other Mesa/Boogies or other amps such as peavy or marshall that can provide the versatile and great sound the Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25, i play Nickelback, Linkin Park, Rise Against, Foo Fighters, Joe Satriani but am not looking for an amp with lots of effects.

Thank You
Currently Using
Guitar: Paul Reed Smith Custom 22
Amp: Line 6/Bogner Spider Valve 212

Chad Kroeger uses a PRS SC250. I want that =P
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

This sticky has a comprehensive guide to amps broken down by price range and style. Look for high-gain styles in your price range.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Go second hand, I got my DC-5 for under £700 and imo and many other opinions it kicks the express' ass.
kool thanks. ill look into that
Currently Using
Guitar: Paul Reed Smith Custom 22
Amp: Line 6/Bogner Spider Valve 212

Chad Kroeger uses a PRS SC250. I want that =P
you could look used...

or get a different amp which is better value in the UK than Mesa- Engl, brunetti, Framus, Laney, Martamp, etc. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
get a different amp which is better value in the UK than Mesa- Engl, brunetti, Framus, Laney, Martamp, etc. etc. etc.

+1, getting a Mesa in the UK is like getting an Orange in the US - a waste of money when there are better amps for cheaper.

Or like getting any amp in Jamaica, except every amp is expensive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??

sucks about jamaica
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Raijouta
+1, getting a Mesa in the UK is like getting an Orange in the US - a waste of money when there are better amps for cheaper.

Or like getting any amp in Jamaica, except every amp is expensive.

+2

Those damn tariffs our governments slap on foreign goods........
That is partially keeping me from buying an ENGL.
Though Mesa Boogie makes some nice stuff......
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
The American government likes its money..
It doesn't know how to use it correctly, though..

On topic..
Yeah, defiantly check out some cheaper (in the UK) amps, better amp for a lower price.
It's a win-win!
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Last edited by cavalier14 at Feb 18, 2009,
It's the home country that charges the taxes though....

Just like I don't consider orange and marshall here in the US, I wouldn't consider Mesa if I was in the UK. I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for an express let alone twice that (1000 GBP = 1400 USD).
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Butters8754
+2

Oh, I know how you feel. I was looking into ENGL not too long ago, but decided to go with Mesa, simply because the massive amount of extra money I would spend wasn't justified IMO. Oh well, I like my F-50 head

Anywho, to the TS, Mesa Boogie make great amps, but you end up paying more for it because it's an imported good where you live. If you're really set on Mesa, that's one thing, but if you're open to options, consider other brands made closer to you, as this tends to get you more for your money.

Mesa-wise though, the F-series and DC series are supposed to be better than that Express line, but I can only vouch for the F-series, which do kick ass. Not sure what a recto goes for over there, but it would also be good for you.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Here is a Rectoverb + flightcase in the UK for 999£:
Ebay.co.uk

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Don't get a Mesa in the UK, especially with that budget.
I'd get a Brunetti, Engl or Cornford over anything Mesa put out.
Yes, mesa is damn expensive in the UK, but dont let that stop you looking second hand, ebay is always full of them. Look for DC amps, F series (got my f100 off ebay for £500 with a flightcase) and sometimes single and dual recco's go under 1k.
However, also keep checking other amps because Mesa is certainly not the be all and end all of high gain
Last edited by vitchb at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by iamtompublic
Go second hand, I got my DC-5 for under £700 and imo and many other opinions it kicks the express' ass.

I second that. Mine was a part/ex, a Fender Blues Junior plus £350 cash. It's a top-notch workhorse amp
Europe + Mesa = no....
Europe + ENGL,Laney, Orange, Laney = YES........

if you REALY want an american sounding amp that can handle all the genres you play, I'd look for a used Peavey JSX....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Butters8754
+2

i'm pretty sure it's not just the tariffs. they don't help, but they don't double the price either.

Quote by Kevin Saale
It's the home country that charges the taxes though....

Just like I don't consider orange and marshall here in the US, I wouldn't consider Mesa if I was in the UK. I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for an express let alone twice that (1000 GBP = 1400 USD).

and a while ago, £1000 was over $2000!

Quote by Horlicks
Don't get a Mesa in the UK, especially with that budget.
I'd get a Brunetti, Engl or Cornford over anything Mesa put out.

i wouldn't necessarily say over anything mesa put out (personally)... i quite like mesas, especially the roadking. the problem is that the roadking is £3000 ($4500),. while in the USA it's just over $2000 (if i remember correctly). the roadking's not 3 times as good as my savage SE, for example. or over twice as good as a cornford (if you ask me, cornfords are better ). etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Europe + Mesa = no....
Europe + ENGL,Laney, Orange, Laney = YES........

if you REALY want an american sounding amp that can handle all the genres you play, I'd look for a used Peavey JSX....

well done for not reccomending a peavey vypyr
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.