I'm pretty good at bass. I can play anything anyone wants me to play. Unfourtunately I don't have a bass of my own. So whats a good bass for me to play around with and possibly play gigs with.
i don't mean to be skeptical, but i have a tough time believing that you can actually properly play bass without owning one, unless you spend a whole lot of time with one at a studio or something.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Quote by failedstagedive
i don't mean to be skeptical, but i have a tough time believing that you can actually properly play bass without owning one, unless you spend a whole lot of time with one at a studio or something.

i play my brothers. and its junky so i want my own. i can do carousel by blink 182, journey to the end of east bay by rancid just to show my skill level.
with your style based on that, i'd say look into the fender P bass series. you can go anywhere from $300 used to $1000+, based on whatever you're looking for in your price range.

EDIT: didn't see the price range. in that case, check out the squier VM P bass.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
it's super unneffective!
Last edited by failedstagedive at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by failedstagedive
with your style based on that, i'd say look into the fender P bass series. you can go anywhere from $300 used to $1000+, based on whatever you're looking for in your price range.

this...try and save up some more money and get a decent bass
those songs aren't that hard for most bassists. Try to play Donna Lee and a Portrait of Stacy by Jaco if you really want something that's a good indication of skill.

In anycase, just get a Squier VM or CV or an SX bass. My best suggestion, go to GC and play every bass you see until you find something you like.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Portrait of Tracy
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
it's super unneffective!
Quote by Thomme
those songs aren't that hard for most bassists. Try to play Donna Lee and a Portrait of Stacy by Jaco if you really want something that's a good indication of skill.

In anycase, just get a Squier VM or CV or an SX bass. My best suggestion, go to GC and play every bass you see until you find something you like.

It is a good indication of skill, but more along the lines of Godlike than Inter
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Yeah I didnt think punk was a very difficult genre and I think its a bit pompus to say you can play anything anyone asks you to but thats besides the point.

Go with a used Fender P-bass, a lot of punk bands play them and they give a nice punchy sound.
Go to your local music store(s) and try everything out. All of it. If there's not a store nearby, I think this is a big enough occasion that you can travel a bit. (I know, you're 14 and live in the middle of nowhere, but I'm sure a parent would be willing to help. I was in the same situation when I started.)

Also, look at all of your local paw shops. If you see something you like, research it or com back here and ask us about it.

Actually, it'd be good to researh (or ask us about) anything you're about to buy...would want you to end up with a Dean or Epiphone or something horrible like that.

Whatever you do, getting something used is going to be your best bet, and a P bass (or something similar) will probably have a tone that you like.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 26, 2009,
I could learn all those songs in half an hour with a metronome.

however, they are very nice songs with catchy, cool sounding basslines. a Squier VM Precision would suit ya.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by sloasdaylight
*posting this for the sole purpose of going against the grain*

Get a Wal.

Wow, excellent way to contribute. Recommend a $3000+ bass for no particular reason.

TS, you may think of yourself as an accomplished bass player because you can doodle up a few punk songs....but your really at the bottom of the totem pole as far as bass playing goes. If you really want to learn, a Squire Precision (Vintage Modified if you dont mind a few extra $$) and get work. Theres a stickies post at the top of the thread page that has a list of songs by difficulty.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Wow, excellent way to contribute. Recommend a $3000+ bass for no particular reason.

TS, you may think of yourself as an accomplished bass player because you can doodle up a few punk songs....but your really at the bottom of the totem pole as far as bass playing goes. If you really want to learn, a Squire Precision (Vintage Modified if you dont mind a few extra $$) and get work. Theres a stickies post at the top of the thread page that has a list of songs by difficulty.

i dont think im accomplished. I can play any punk song that you want me to and thats all I said. Thanks for the input though
Quote by famous1234
i dont think im accomplished. I can play any punk song that you want me to and thats all I said. Thanks for the input though

My apologies. Judging from your post i thought you were trying to say you can play anything But yeah, P-bass is pretty much synonymous with punk music. Though its worth mentioning that Klaus Flouride from the Dead Kennedy's uses a Jazz bass, and Paul Simmonon was known to record with a Rickenbacker and a Wal every now and then (but his main axe was a Precision).
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
My apologies. Judging from your post i thought you were trying to say you can play anything But yeah, P-bass is pretty much synonymous with punk music. Though its worth mentioning that Klaus Flouride from the Dead Kennedy's uses a Jazz bass, and Paul Simmonon was known to record with a Rickenbacker and a Wal every now and then (but his main axe was a Precision).

what do you think about a danelectro 63 long scale for me?
try it out, if you like it then it's for you.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by famous1234
what do you think about a danelectro 63 long scale for me?

I dont really have any experience with Danelectro's - the music shops in my region fail pretty hard at diversity. Though by reputation, ive heard they have a kinda "twangy" sound (regulars correct me if im wrong?). Punk bass is supposed to have a kinda beefy, solid tone, which i think is why the P bass is generally favored. But eh, we'll see if somebody whos actually played a DE will pop in
Quote by thefitz
Quote by CBurtonIsKing

Oh come on, have a sense of humor. Everyone else in this thread told him to get a P bass, and I specifically said I was saying it for no real reason (i.e. sarcasm). What had to be said was said already, no one wants to hear 15 people saying the same thing.

Variety is the spice of life!
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
I dont really have any experience with Danelectro's - the music shops in my region fail pretty hard at diversity. Though by reputation, ive heard they have a kinda "twangy" sound (regulars correct me if im wrong?). Punk bass is supposed to have a kinda beefy, solid tone, which i think is why the P bass is generally favored. But eh, we'll see if somebody whos actually played a DE will pop in

well thats what fat mike from nofx uses. and i kinda like its tone
I hear nice things about Danelectro, but I'd have to agree with everybody else. Get a Squier P-Bass if you're into punk. Fat Mike of NOFX uses a Danelectro, but I believe that's because of his back problems-- he can't carry a heavy bass.

On another note, I dislike long-scale basses. When I was first starting out I thought it'd be really cool to get a long scale bass (my first is a 24 fret), but the more I played it the more I realized how much of an inconvenience it is because the first few frets are that much farther away. Unless you're playing bass solo or practicing some Jaco, there's no real use for a long-scale bass.
Quote by slash1890
I hear nice things about Danelectro, but I'd have to agree with everybody else. Get a Squier P-Bass if you're into punk. Fat Mike of NOFX uses a Danelectro, but I believe that's because of his back problems-- he can't carry a heavy bass.

On another note, I dislike long-scale basses. When I was first starting out I thought it'd be really cool to get a long scale bass (my first is a 24 fret), but the more I played it the more I realized how much of an inconvenience it is because the first few frets are that much farther away. Unless you're playing bass solo or practicing some Jaco, there's no real use for a long-scale bass.

Long scales have better string tension, so drop tunings arent as "floppy". Plus 24 frets are actually used in some genres. Personally i dont mind either, i have looooong skinny woman fingers, so frettage is simple
Quote by thefitz
The "long scale" on the Dano is used as opposed to the "short scale" model, not because it's actually long. It's standard 34". Although, I think it's been discontinued...MF only has what stock they have left.

They are supposed to be twangy, yeah, but they do have a vintage-type tone. It'd do fine in a punk band.
Nope, no sig here.
New danos are hard to come by, since the company went under, got bought, reproduced most of their line, then discontinued all their guitars, almost went under and then does one repro per year... they're complicated.

Fat Mike's tone is mostly from his amp, actually. The dano bass sound is like a jazz bass, only more hollow sounding. I've never liked them, myself.

Just get yourself a tried and true fender if you want our advice. If not, go out and play every bass you can get your hands on and see how much you like them.

Also: The Metro and F*** you Aurora by Alkaline Trio, Blacklisted and Maxwell Murder by Rancid, The Decline by NOFX, Man Overboard by Blink 182, Walk the Line by Face to Face, Off the Wagon by the Get Up Kids.... that;s about all I can think of... yeah, those are more "punk" songs that have pretty challenging bass parts, especially compared to Carasel and Journey

woops, earlier offspring stuff, too... like Smash, that album had some cool bass parts.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
New danos are hard to come by, since the company went under, got bought, reproduced most of their line, then discontinued all their guitars, almost went under and then does one repro per year... they're complicated.

Fat Mike's tone is mostly from his amp, actually. The dano bass sound is like a jazz bass, only more hollow sounding. I've never liked them, myself.

Just get yourself a tried and true fender if you want our advice. If not, go out and play every bass you can get your hands on and see how much you like them.

Also: The Metro and F*** you Aurora by Alkaline Trio, Blacklisted and Maxwell Murder by Rancid, The Decline by NOFX, Man Overboard by Blink 182, Walk the Line by Face to Face, Off the Wagon by the Get Up Kids.... that;s about all I can think of... yeah, those are more "punk" songs that have pretty challenging bass parts, especially compared to Carasel and Journey

woops, earlier offspring stuff, too... like Smash, that album had some cool bass parts.

well i can do man overboard and most of maxwell murder. the other ones ive never heard of or havent tryed. im gonna learn them thanx