I searched for one, found a bunch of overrated guitarist threads and underrated bands. I wanna know underrated musicians, all types.
Guitarist- Bradley Nowell of Sublime. Really some of his live **** and Thanx Dub just guaranteed him a spot on my list.
Drummer-Mitch Mitchell. He may not have much to offer on studio tracks, but live he is fantastic. You gotta be good to back Hendrix live.
And I don't really know about bassist. I guess Geezer Butler, but I dont know if hes really underrated.
I think alot of people will disagree with me but I have to say Yngwie Malmsteen. Most people won't even realise how clean his playing technique is, his sweeps are marvellous and the speed is really amazing. All they see is a fat donat lover whose ego is bigger than him.
Brian Elwin Haner, Jr
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
Chris Hannah from Propagandhi. Excellent songwriter and musician. Can play some awesome guitar stuff while singing too
Dusty Warring from Between the Buried and Me. Since Paul steals the show, it's pretty easy to forget there's a second guitarist doing just about the same thing. He also is more involved in the writing process than I imagined.
Alex Skolnick of Testament
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Punkismygod
I think alot of people will disagree with me but I have to say Yngwie Malmsteen. Most people won't even realise how clean his playing technique is, his sweeps are marvellous and the speed is really amazing. All they see is a fat donat lover whose ego is bigger than him.

A lot of people already think he's a god. How much more interest do you think he deserves? I think Alex Lifeson is a pretty underrated guitar player. He is amazing but gets overshadowed by neal pert and geddy lee, who are both ridiculously talented.
Gary Wilson-Gary Wilson
Aaron Franks-Steel Colossus
Josh Carnes-Malthusian.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
Mike Einziger - Incubus

So underrated it's not even funny.
Quote by GNiCk89
The other day my girlfriend called me a pedophile.

I said, "Damn, that's a big-ass word for an 8 year-old."
Incubus
Beck. Modern Guilt was so overshadowed by crap like lil wayne, i almost vommited.
jimmy page is an underrated guitarist, considerin his entire legacy is Stairway to Heaven
jimmy page is FAAAAAAR from underrated, if someones underrated in led zeppelin is john paul jones
Jaki Liebezeit
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by wildwildwes594
Alex Skolnick of Testament

+1 Great player. Hes like Kirk Hammett, Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads in that he has killer technique and can rip, but understands the importance of melody. But he never gets the props he deserves.
I think John Myung from Dream Theater is pretty underrated. But he could be overatted for all I know.
Singer - Ronnie Van Zant (Lynyrd Skynyrd) --- He is easily one of my favorite singers of all time. Skynyrd just isn't the same without him.

Guitarist - Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) --- His guitar playing is so simple, but so incredibly badass. I was listening to some really old CDs that I burned a long time ago the other day. "Waitin' For The Bus" came on and it instantly made me start banging my head and play along with it. It's the same way with pretty much every ZZ Top song.

Drummer - Jim Fox (James Gang) --- Lately, I've been listening to a whole bunch of bands that I've never really payed attention to before. That's when I came across this certain band that Joe Walsh used to be a part of... named The James Gang. I was instantly hooked. The thing that makes this band so great is Jim Fox.

Just listen to this song right here and tell me he isn't a great drummer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUud1VvdQsU
I'm gonna throw in an underrated guitarist here, and go with Izzy Stradlin. People generally don't see how much of a core element he was to the original GNR sound.

I'm not surprised, it's easy to fall in the shadows of a guy like Slash(especially when you're as quiet as Izzy is).
Tim Sult of Clutch.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Billy Cox and Buddy Miles. The music they did during the Band of Gypsys era (and then Billy Cox with Mitch Mitchell) was awesome.
Jefferson Airplane.
Joy Division.
John Butler Trio.
i doubt anyone gonna with me,but Davey and Jade from AFI are underrated for all the creative things they do...
Alpine White Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Classic Vox DA5
Josh Clark the guitarist from Tea Leaf Green is amazing.
Trey Anastasio the guitarist from Phish is just a master of the jam. Nobody can keep a jam going like him.
Chris Wood the bassist from Medeski Martin and Wood is the grooviest white ever. period.
Billy Joel.
Great musician, songwriter, singer. Yet not a lot of intelligent musicians really listen to him. Basically, its only the pop culture and mainstream that know who he is, but really he is incredible.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
people dont realize how underrated Buck Dharma is, infact blue oyster cult is underrated in general
BLUE OYSTER CULT IS SUPER UNDER-RATED!!!!!! Same with Kansas (except for there christian crap)
Kevin Shields.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Billy Corgan
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
Kerry Minnear and Ray Shulman from Gentle Giant.
Everybody in that band was amazing but these two stood out imho.
Chris McCaughan is a tremendously underrated guitarist. Best punk rock guitarist, IMO. Great lyricist, too.
kill all humans
i think some of the old blues musicians were very underrated. people like john lee hooker. i dont think ive ever heard anyone talking about him.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

The whole band Linkin Park - It might be a stretch, but, what I love about them is their musical sensibility. Everyone in the band seems to do only what fits in the songs... You'll never hear any 20min guitar wankery in a Linkin Park song.

Overall, all the musicians out there who are smart enough to do the stuff that fits the song best, rather then the stuff that shows off their talent best