http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1005000602.htm

the serial number is A029071

i am thinking about buying this guitar, is this a good buy for 450?

What i really want to know is what is the difference between the imported or exported Japanese Fenders, And if this is one of the better ones.

the link doesnt work, so just make a judgement based off the serial number?
not to sound like a prick, but this should be in Electric Guitar, not GB&C
Wrong forum, and your link is broken.

However, $450 for an MIJ Strat is pretty good, but not over craigslist.

EDIT: The guitar was made in the Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation factory, between 185 and 1986.

Play it, and if you like it, buy it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 26, 2009,
*reported for move*

also, a MIJ for that cheap is a great deal. You should play it first to make sure though. The seller may be trying to pass off a lemon on you
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
i Think the imported ones are actually made out of basswood usually(sometimes reffered to as Japanese alder, it is not though.)
I thought MIJs were made of japanese ash or something

That it's not what?

Oh it not being Japanese Alder? He means that Basswood isn't Japanes Alder or Ash or whatever.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by FenderStrat4
how do you know that it is not?

Reffered to me?
well, i am only saying what i have learned through different forums and ebay related shops which sell alder strats (which i think are the MIJ strats that are just made to stay in japan) but basically Japanese alder is infact alder but some people seem to think that the imported basswood ones are alder (easy mistake i imagine) and because of this a lot of mistakes are made when describing the guitars

not 100% though i cant remember it perfectly
Quote by FenderStrat4
how can i find out if it is alder or basswood?

weight difference possibly?
if not you could open up the back where the guitar is not painted and maybe figure it out from the looks of the wood?

this is all guesswork now but even if it is basswood, it is still a very usable wood for guitars. It just isnt strictly the same as an alder strat. No better or worse
Well Jaco Pastorius' 1985 MIJ Fender Bass was Alder... Seems as though MIJs were alder in '85.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Maple, like all standard Fender necks.

It might have a skunk stripe up the back which will be Walnut or Koa if I'm not mistaken.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
might be ash, if you're lucky