Hi all. I recently purchased a VOX Tonelab LE and wanted to run it through the power amp of my MG50 (I know, it sucks ass) but the MG kinda destroyed the tone of the Tonelab. Should I think about investing in a small marshall power amp and small cabinet? Or should I return the Tonelab and just use my MG?

Thanks
Headphones are a bad idea with the tonelab - it just plain sucks with them.

1) Just plug the Tonelab into the amp like you'd plug in a guitar. The Tonelab has been designed to be used like that.
2) Use the clean channel, the amp's treble, middle and bass control all at 12 o'clock.

Trust me, I've used a Tonelab SE (practically the same thing), with way sh*ttier amps in the past and it always got the job done. One thing to keep in mind are the different output settings on the Tonelab. My SE only has two, one being for use with an amp, the other being for use with a PA system. I only use the PA option, even with amps, because the other option never sounds good. The LE has even more of these options (five or six I think?). I recommend you try them all out.
Tonelabs are great all in all. They're a tad complex, but worth the time it takes to get used to them.
Here's the problem...you don't use pedals with modeling amps (especially not modeling pedals). You can do whatever you want to, and its not going to sound good. If you won't use headphones, look into cheap tube amps or non-modeling SS amps.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
^^That is not correct. The Tonelab is some sort of modelling amp without a power stage - all the tone is created within it, the amp just has to provide the power to make it loud. What you said applies to boosters and most overdrive pedals, but not to modellers like the Tonelab.
Plug the tonelab into the FX Return
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Hey Quailman thanks for the help, but I tried all the output settings, I even tried it through the effects loop but I just couldn't get a good tone. All the presets sound crap and i tried making a better one that sounds quite good with headphones and that but not through the MG. I think I'll return it. Thanks anyway
Quote by TheQuailman
^^That is not correct. The Tonelab is some sort of modelling amp without a power stage - all the tone is created within it, the amp just has to provide the power to make it loud. What you said applies to boosters and most overdrive pedals, but not to modellers like the Tonelab.

Bull****...the crappy sound comes from stacking effects together. You can't bypass the modeling on an MG, so the MG's processor is always going to affect the sound of the ToneLab.

Dude...it's your amp, not the pedal. Sell the MG and get a small SS amp or keyboard amp. It'll sound loads better.

Don't judge me.
Maybe you could let the guys at the store show you how to fiddle around with the settings. But anyway, if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you and I guess you'd find a better use for the money then.

Quote by theoreticmusic
Bull****...the crappy sound comes from stacking effects together. You can't bypass the modeling on an MG, so the MG's processor is always going to affect the sound of the ToneLab.

Dude...it's your amp, not the pedal. Sell the MG and get a small SS amp or keyboard amp. It'll sound loads better.

I've been using a Tonelab for two years now with different amps, even modelling ones and it always worked brilliantly. Let's see... whom/what do I trust more? Some random guy who's yelling at me on the internet or my two years of experience? Oh, I think I know the answer.

"Stacking effects together" - clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Though I must admit that the MG is not much of a good amp and the ts would probably get better results with something different.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 26, 2009,
I think I'll return it, I'll just use my MG with the MXR equalizer which is just fine for my bedroom practicing. I think I'll stick with it until I can afford a Metro Plexi.

Thanks
Quote by TheQuailman
Maybe you could let the guys at the store show you how to fiddle around with the settings. But anyway, if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you and I guess you'd find a better use for the money then.

I've been using a Tonelab for two years now with different amps, even modelling ones and it always worked brilliantly. Let's see... whom/what do I trust more? Some random guy who's yelling at me on the internet or my two years of experience? Oh, I think I know the answer.

"Stacking effects together" - clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Though I must admit that the MG is not much of a good amp and the ts would probably get better results with something different.

Oh, God, I hate to question your whole two years of experience, but stacking two modeling processors together is not the same as stacking analogue effects together. Why don't you do a bit of a search on this forum about that topic and see what you find...? Or maybe you just only trust your own experience. if that's the case, then making recommendations to anyone else is pointless.

Don't judge me.
It's not like digital signals are comletely different from analogue signals. Granted things will sound strange if the amp is eq-ed weird or (god forbid) has the lead channel switched on. But with the eq set flat, an MG is basically a cheap and somewhat crappy PA that will work with modelling processors like the Tonelab well enough.
I found a lot on this forum, some useful information on one side, prejudices and bandwagon-jumping on the other. I prefer to form my own oppinion.

Big question is: Have you ever used a Tonelab with a modeling amp?
Yes...I have. I was going to buy one and demoed it extensively. But any amp with a DFX processor always puts the signal through some sort of processing unless there is a bypass function. I guess all tone is subjective, but I can't stand modeling amps and modeling pedals together. I used to use a Pod XT with an MG, and then switched to a Roland JC-120, and the results were...marvelous.

Don't judge me.
Well, the difference between an MG and a JC would have been pretty big anyway, POD or not.

I played my Tonelab through several (really bad) Ibanez solid state combos, a Marshall Valvestate, Marshall MG, an Epiphone Valve Junior and several PA systems. The tone was never especially good, except with a PA. Whether I used it with a sh*tty solid state combo like the MG or a sh*tty valve combo like the Valve Junior didn't make much of a difference. It was just a different blend of mediocrity. That being said, the MG's bad speaker doesn't help much, either.

I stand by what I said earlier, but I guess we won't be able to settle this argument here. I promise I'll try the Tonelab with an MG the next time I come across one and pay close attention. We cool?
Yep...I was never heated as I appeared.

Don't judge me.