I keep hearing that the Gen 1 (red foam instead of blue) "chainsaw" style Gibson guitar cases are indestructible, and that they can be run over by a car and still protect the guitar inside. Is there another guitar case anyone recommends that offers similar protection? I've got a Michael Kelly Patriot Glory that I want the best possible protection for!

Someone recommended this SKB case at Guitar Center:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/SKB-SKB-56-Deluxe-Les-Paul-Style-Electric-Guitar-Case-541666-001-i1177905.gc

Anyone have any opinions on it?
what is the "chainsaw" style Gibson guitar case?

either way, I have a case with the bright pink/red velvet inside, Idk if that's the one you're talking about though, it's a pretty nice case.
how often is your guitar going to get runover to need that osrt of protection
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I'm an SKB flight case lover personally. If your not traveling alot and need to keep your guitar in the back of vans knocking around with amps or on planes then I wouldn't say you need that type of protection. If you want it for a piece of mine then by all means go for what you think is best.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Last edited by OsirisProtocol at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by al112987
what is the "chainsaw" style Gibson guitar case?

either way, I have a case with the bright pink/red velvet inside, Idk if that's the one you're talking about though, it's a pretty nice case.

Here are some pics of the Gen 1 chainsaw case:

Quote by rancidryan
how often is your guitar going to get runover to need that osrt of protection

I've got a 4 year old niece and another niece on the way. There's no such thing as too much protection
Quote by RabidWookie

That's the ugliest looking case I've ever seen

Really, any decent hardshell case is fine. Unless you're seriously thinking about running over your guitar, there's no point in spending tons of money on a case like that imo

Since you said you have nieces, just put the guitar away when they're around Get a case with a lock on it so they can't open it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have the bass version of the skb case posted above- Its sturdy- Ive dropped it a couple times with no damage to my bass and I love the new latch style.
that thing looks bullet proof,
but realistically the skb would probably be plenty safe,
at a certain point it's just overkill
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by RabidWookie
I've got a 4 year old niece and another niece on the way. There's no such thing as too much protection

well, if someone had used protection, you wouldn't have that problem in the first place

but seriously, gator cases and anvil cases are excellent for maximum protection. I've had one fall off the back of a truck and the guitar was still in f*cking tune!!
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's the ugliest looking case I've ever seen

+1

I want one. It looks like something Mad Max would keep his guitar in. Not that the looks of a case matters, but if I saw that at a garage sale (or somewhere cheap), I'd pick it up.

I went to Guitar Center to try out the skb case. Apparently a Michael Kelly guitar isn't as thick at the base as a real Les Paul, because when the guitar was resting in the case the neck was up slightly higher than it should be and pressing against the top of the case. The guy at Guitar Center said the problem could be remedied by putting a thick cloth in the case to lift up the base of the guitar. That's not good enough for me; if I'm spending $100+ on a case I want it to fit my guitar perfectly.

Anyone have any suggestions for a super-durable Les Paul-style case?