I'm upgrading from a starter Washburn X-Series and I was interested in some Jackson guitars (I found some cheap) and B.C. Rich Guitars.

The main comparison I'm interested in is the Jackson WRXT and WRMG.

What are the pros and cons of each?

I also wondered how these stack up against the Jackson Kelly: What difference does a bolt on vs thru neck make?

How do these guitars compare spec-wise to B.C. Rich guitars like the Warlock?

Also, would anyone be able to give me a general price range in Canadian Dollars? Thanks a lot, in advance!
The wrmg has better pick ups and tremelo than the wrxt.
It's basicly the same as the kelly except the kelly has Seymour Duncan pick ups instead of emgs.
Supposedly a thru neck gives you more sustain, but i read in guitar world a good bolt on will sustain just as good (well to the point of an unnoticable diffrence).
Around that price range alot of B.C. Rich guitars are poorly made and aren't worth it.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Regarding the Duncan and EMG pickups, how do they compare?
Sorry this is getting so technical, I just figure if I'm going to spend a few hundred I might as well get the better guitar (of those body types) in that price range.
I think I stand for everyone here when I say: STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP B.C RICH GUITARS.
that is all.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
A thru-neck is only partly about sustain as for me its biggest attraction is in the great access you get to the upper frets. As for which guitar, I'd have any Jackson over any BC Rich!
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
So I looked it up, the WRXT and WRMG have the same bridge, and therefore tremolo...
But what exactly makes the WRMG pickups "better"?

And which Kelly model is most comparable?
KE2 or KE3, the KE2 seems to be more expensive, but the KE3 doesn't have the thru-neck construction.
Last edited by cdrinkh20 at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by Doadman
A thru-neck is only partly about sustain as for me its biggest attraction is in the great access you get to the upper frets. As for which guitar, I'd have any Jackson over any BC Rich!

EXACTLY. Regardless of how much sustain either neck gives you, there's a very good chance you'll get MUCH better fret access with a neck through. The only time I can think of where a bolt on got better fret access would be a BC Rich IT series guitar vs a Gibson.

Quote by cdrinkh20
So I looked it up, the WRXT and WRMG have the same bridge, and therefore tremolo...
But what exactly makes the WRMG pickups "better"?

And which Kelly model is most comparable?
KE2 or KE3, the KE2 seems to be more expensive, but the KE3 doesn't have the thru-neck construction.

About the bridges, yes they're the same model, but there's a marginal difference in quality. The WRMG will have the better quality tremolo. When comparing the WRMG to a Kelly, the KE3 will be the closest comparison.
Quote by Vittu0666
EXACTLY. Regardless of how much sustain either neck gives you, there's a very good chance you'll get MUCH better fret access with a neck through. The only time I can think of where a bolt on got better fret access would be a BC Rich IT series guitar vs a Gibson.

That isn't even a fair contest. Gibson makes some of the biggest set neck heels ever. Compare it to something like Schecter and you'll find that their set neck heel is practically nonexistant on their high-end models.

Also, 2 of my guitars have bolt-on necks with AANJ and i have no complaints. I don't really like neck-thrus mainly for the fact that if it is damaged or breaks then you're pretty much f*cked over and have to get a new guitar.
Thanks a lot everyone this is great help! But I again feel the need to ask for clarification as to why the EMG pickups are "better" than the Duncan Detonators...sound wise how are they different? Are they pretty much the same sound, but of different quality?

And while the KE2 is the only one with the neck through, it also appears to be twice as much as the KE3 and WRMG so that's probably out :P
Quote by Pac_man0123

That isn't even a fair contest. Gibson makes some of the biggest set neck heels ever. Compare it to something like Schecter and you'll find that their set neck heel is practically nonexistant on their high-end models.

Also, 2 of my guitars have bolt-on necks with AANJ and i have no complaints. I don't really like neck-thrus mainly for the fact that if it is damaged or breaks then you're pretty much f*cked over and have to get a new guitar.

Lol. That's exactly why I compared the two. It shows how great ingenious the IT series is.

As for the pickup question, it's all about preference. Some people like EMG's, some people like Seymour Duncan.
Quote by Vittu0666
Lol. That's exactly why I compared the two. It shows how great ingenious the IT series is.

Not really, you're just comparing to totally separate methods of getting a neck on a guitar.

In all honesty, i've seen neck thru necks with fret access that is no better than a set neck. It has also been tested and proved that neck-thru guitars usually sustain worst out of the 3.
If your playing metal EMG's will suit you better, but they are more sterile and the tone will come from the amp. The SD's will be more versitial and don't toss a guitar away just because its a bolt on because many bolt ons have smaller heels too and will sustain just as well.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by Pac_man0123
Not really, you're just comparing to totally separate methods of getting a neck on a guitar.

In all honesty, i've seen neck thru necks with fret access that is no better than a set neck. It has also been tested and proved that neck-thru guitars usually sustain worst out of the 3.

No, what I was showing was that not all neck-throughs have awesome fret access, yet not all bolt ons have horrible fret access.

I really don't care if it's been proven that neck-throughs have the worst sustain. My Rhoads (without the Tremol-No, that's a completely different subject though. Maybe I just got a lemon?) sustains for days. That's all that matters to me. Lol.
Quote by Vittu0666
I really don't care if it's been proven that neck-throughs have the worst sustain. My Rhoads (without the Tremol-No, that's a completely different subject though. Maybe I just got a lemon?) sustains for days. That's all that matters to me. Lol.

No guitar will really sustain worse than the other due to a neck setup so its all really up to personal choice
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
No guitar will really sustain worse than the other due to a neck setup so its all really up to personal choice

And I prefer neck through.
Haha that argument went a little off topic haha...

Quote by alternitivebass
If your playing metal EMG's will suit you better, but they are more sterile and the tone will come from the amp. The SD's will be more versitial and don't toss a guitar away just because its a bolt on because many bolt ons have smaller heels too and will sustain just as well.

Anyways, how do you mean sterile? I do for the most part play metal so if you say it's better for that why is that if the tone comes from the amp rather than the pickup? I thought that was the reason for the different pickups :P (ie. humbuckers in general are more guttural and heavy than single coils)

I'm definitely not as term friendly with guitars, I've drummed for much longer and never been in a band so I'm still working through it all.
Quote by cdrinkh20
Haha that argument went a little off topic haha...

Anyways, how do you mean sterile? I do for the most part play metal so if you say it's better for that why is that if the tone comes from the amp rather than the pickup? I thought that was the reason for the different pickups :P (ie. humbuckers in general are more guttural and heavy than single coils)

I'm definitely not as term friendly with guitars, I've drummed for much longer and never been in a band so I'm still working through it all.

The point is that EMG's are more transparent, to a point that they lack "character" or have a certain sound characteristic. EMG's do two things well, they have a lot of output which helps get maximum gain out of a tube amp, and they have some natural compression, which makes them sound "smoother." This is EXACTLY what you want for metal. You want that fat compressed humbucker sound, yet doesn't overly shape your tone. Most mteal guys want their tone to come from the amp. The Seymour Duncans are also great metal pickups but don't give that natural compression, and possess a lot of tonal characteristics. THey are going to sound a little warmer with less output than EMG's, which is better for softer music.

As far as the Kelly... I'm the Kelly man.
KE1 is awesome, extremely well built and pre fender, but good luck finding one and they are sky high price wise.

KE2, identical to the KE1, but with a neck pickup. I t is a neck thru as mentioned, and there is no comparison between neck thru and bolt on. Neck thru feels like the guitar is one solid piece of sturdy wood, bolt on doesn't have that feeling. Those that say they prefer bolt on, they either haven't played a neck thru enough to relize, or are just trying to make themselves feel better about their bolt on guitar.

KE3, cheapy guitar..... it's just the bolt on knock off of the KE1-KE2. Fine guitars, but I wouldn't keep one around for long. Good for beginners and more experienced players with a tight budget.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
KE1 is awesome, extremely well built and pre fender, but good luck finding one and they are sky high price wise.

KE2, identical to the KE1, but with a neck pickup. I t is a neck thru as mentioned, and there is no comparison between neck thru and bolt on. Neck thru feels like the guitar is one solid piece of sturdy wood, bolt on doesn't have that feeling. Those that say they prefer bolt on, they either haven't played a neck thru enough to relize, or are just trying to make themselves feel better about their bolt on guitar.

No kidding! I'm not sure the KE1 is made anymore, doesn't appear on Jackson site...
Ya, I'm not up for full-time kind of playing and I'm still learning; I'm in university so not as much time as I'd like for everything I enjoy, so a good quality cheaper guitar will do just fine (especially since I'm mostly strapped for cash!). Like I said, I'm upgrading from a Washburn that came in a cardboard box with a shi**y little amp.

The KE2 seems to cost twice as much as the Warriors, and frankly I'm more attracted to the Warrior body anyway so I'll probably go with those...though I'm sad the WRMG doesn't have Sharkfin inlays :P
Washburn X-Series (starter guitar)
Jackson WRMG Warrior (EMG 60/85 and Afterburner)
Boss PW-10 Wah Pedal
Behringer DD400 Digital Delay Stompbox
Line 6 Spider III 150W (2x12" Celestions)
Cube 15x Practice Amp
first off, on the sustain issue, thru neck guitars have better sustain yes, but the Liscensed Floyd Roses on jackson guitars have a lower quality sustain block, so the notes aren't sustained as long as they could, that being said, some people reckon that having a neck through fixes the problem of the Jackson sustain block.

on the EMG vs Seymour Duncan, i have a DKMG which has active EMGs in it, i personally have no qualms about the EMGs but nothing can beat the versatility of a good passive pickup.

final opinion, know what you are going to use the guitar for, and buy accordingly.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by cdrinkh20
No kidding! I'm not sure the KE1 is made anymore, doesn't appear on Jackson site...
Ya, I'm not up for full-time kind of playing and I'm still learning; I'm in university so not as much time as I'd like for everything I enjoy, so a good quality cheaper guitar will do just fine (especially since I'm mostly strapped for cash!). Like I said, I'm upgrading from a Washburn that came in a cardboard box with a shi**y little amp.

The KE2 seems to cost twice as much as the Warriors, and frankly I'm more attracted to the Warrior body anyway so I'll probably go with those...though I'm sad the WRMG doesn't have Sharkfin inlays :P

THe last year for the KE1 was 1997. THere are normally a couple a year on Ebay. They KE1 is obviously out of the question.

The KE2 is so much better than a Ke3, in every way. But, the KE3 sounds like it would work well for you. I had one for about a month, not a bad axe.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by Pac_man0123
Seymour Duncans will generally be more versatile than EMGs, but EMGs are designed for high gain because they add more gain to the natural output of the guitar. EMGs are also active. I prefer passive but

What do you mean by "passive" and "active"? I think I had heard mention of batteries in the guitar at some point??

If so, how often do said batteries need to be replaced, what type of batteries, how much? etc...

Does the WRXT have active pickup as well?
Boss PW-10 Wah Pedal
Cube 15x Practice Amp
Last edited by cdrinkh20 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by RJF
The point is that EMG's are more transparent, to a point that they lack "character" or have a certain sound characteristic. EMG's do two things well, they have a lot of output which helps get maximum gain out of a tube amp, and they have some natural compression, which makes them sound "smoother." This is EXACTLY what you want for metal. You want that fat compressed humbucker sound, yet doesn't overly shape your tone. Most mteal guys want their tone to come from the amp. The Seymour Duncans are also great metal pickups but don't give that natural compression, and possess a lot of tonal characteristics. THey are going to sound a little warmer with less output than EMG's, which is better for softer music.

KE3, cheapy guitar..... it's just the bolt on knock off of the KE1-KE2. Fine guitars, but I wouldn't keep one around for long. Good for beginners and more experienced players with a tight budget.

Wait a second.....

What you said in comparison to the EMG's and Seymour Duncans was a very good explanation but I think some of the info you gave about the guitars was alittle biased and unfair.

The KE1 info was spot on.

I would have to disagree with what you said about bolt-on guitars. This is your personal opinion and I'm fine with that but I think your passing it off as a fact and it really is more of a matter of opinion. A nicely made bolt-on can feel just as sturdy to any guitarist as any neck through and there are high quality guitars made that are bolt on's.

Also the KE3 runs about 800 canadian and is an intermediate grade guitar.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by cdrinkh20
What do you mean by "passive" and "active"? I think I had heard mention of batteries in the guitar at some point??

If so, how often do said batteries need to be replaced, what type of batteries, how much? etc...

Does the WRXT have active pickup as well?

Passive pickups dont use batteries while Active pickups do. Active pickups use a 9-volt battery and most guitarists say they last 6-12 months depending on use. I'm pretty sure they use only 1 battery at a time usually but you can wire 2 together to get an 18volt mod to add headroom. The WRXT does not have active pickups. It has Seymour duncan knock offs.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Score! Ended up getting the WRMG Warrior for $200 less than anywhere else 2 days before the Fender price jump! ($650 Canadian!) It had passive pickups, surprisingly (EMG HZ's) and were part of the reason for the sweet deal.

Loving it, thanks for the help!
Boss PW-10 Wah Pedal
Cube 15x Practice Amp
Congrats on the nice new guitar and welcome to the happy club of jackson owners!
Now first thing to do is getting these horrible EMG HZ's out and put in a set of SD's
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl