Hi there, so I've been playing like for an year by now (like, real practice, i've first started a couple of years ago), and the last couple of days I've thought I was doing something wrong.

I searched for a right way to hold the pick, and a friend told me how, that is something like: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-001-ChordsPicksBeginners.php

I tried using the pick that way, but, it kinda hurts my index finger. The way I was holding it before it was like, the thumb and index looking each other, I dunno if you get me...

The other thing I thought I might be the way I position my arm on the guitar, and the angle of the pick. I don't know what I'm doing wrong -if anything- and I kinda get frustrated sometimes, because I think, practice helps, but if i'm doing things the wrong way...

Any advise?. I think maybe getting a teacher or something like that, someone to tutor/guide me.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
I don't think there's a clear cut way to "correctly" hold the pick, look at marty friedman, or paul gilbert (bends his thumb, which is extremely uncomfortable for me), ya know? I say just find a way thats comfortable to you, and then only adjust where the pick is between your fingers (like holding close to the top, or in the middle, or closer to one side, etc) then just practice your ass off. good luck
There isn't a right or wrong way to hold a pick. You'll see pros who hold it in a variety of ways including with 3 fingers. There are only ways that are suggested to give you the best chance to succeed. In terms of the justinguitar method, I prefer a more of a criss cross of the thumb and pointer. Whatever works for you works for you. You just have to make sure it actually does work.
I spent a LONG time trying to figure out what my picking problem was. Instead, try catering your picking technique to what good habit there are for picking. Not anchoring (some people do but personally i'm not willing to make the speed for stability trade), relieving all tension from the motion, etc.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
if that link didn't work, go to utube and type in "paul gilbert alternate picking lesson" good luck!
It doesn't really matter how you hold your pick, what matters is that you don't change the angle of your pick, especially when you're crossing strings.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RGA121
Vetta II HD
Okay, thanks for the answers. This is how I hold the pick:

I think maybe my angle is changing sometimes.

Anyway, I would keep practicing without changing my way to hold the pick... thanks.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
I have the exact same problem , and I hold the pick exactly like you do.
I have alot of speed in my left arm , but when I try to tremolo pick , or alternate fast the pick tip get's stuck on the string , it isn't gliding on the string.

Edit: Well i've mostly solved it , changed the strings on my guitar with thinner ones , the pick glides just great now.
Last edited by Kroaton at Jan 29, 2009,
Wow, I just tried the way you hold the pick and my tremelo picking was much faster but my accuracy went way down.

Edit: As for your problem, hold the pick however you want but make sure your picking technique is correct.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Last edited by LeperAffinity at Jan 28, 2009,