Hi All,

I'm pretty much up to the stage where I think I could start playing very basic songs...... I have all the basic chords down pat almost. Anyone have any recommendations? I'd really like to start playing some tunes as practicing chords is getting a bit boring

Metal/hard rock in particular... Or alternative type songs. Standard tune preferred
Last edited by maxwolfie at Jan 26, 2009,
Up to the point of being able to play basic songs? You really shouldnt have to work yourself up to that and if you know most of the basic chords you can play a lot of songs already.

Horse with no name?
Power Chord Songs:

Peace sells - Megadeth (Riffs, avoid the solos lol)
Ironman - Black Sabbath (Maybe avoid the solo)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath (Maybe avoid the solo)
It's my life - Bon Jovi (Do the solo!)
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (Good up/down strumming pattern, good easy solo to practice)
The Inmigrant Song - Led Zep
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (Basic chord songs, I love this one)
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
I might suggest Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day, Take it Easy and Already Gone by the Eagles, About a Girl by Nirvana, Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down, maybe a little challenging for a begginner but fun, The Entertainer by Billy Joel, Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi, China Grove by the Doobie Brothers.... Also look into Neil Young- he's not the greatest guitar player in a technical sense, but his stuffs got feeling, and some of it's definately grunge. And if you want a little workout for your picking, More Than a Feeling by Boston is good, just probably wanna skip the solo. Also Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama.
A couple of old stompers.
Brown Sugar - Stones - Has something to make you think away from simple chords
Hi Ho Silver Lining - Jeff Beck - Try the solo. You must progress sometime
Ride a White Swan - T Rex - Very basic but good for getting tone
Rockin' All Over the World - Status Quo - Good for bar chords and stretching a bit
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf - All time classic that adapts to most styles (my band featured Electric Violin on this)
Almost anything by Hawkwind.
Well, I did say they were old. But modern rock, in all its forms, is mostly too complex at your stage. That comes later.
Last edited by Lurcher at Jan 27, 2009,
Just about anything by Godsmack (mostly drop D and drop C tuning)
Shine down
The Enemy
Mistakes
Awake
Etc..
jimi hendrix - voodoo child

good song if you wanna practise moving your fingers.

or stuff by airbourne.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

All sorts of black sabbath is what you're decribing, and that's some good music too
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist