Page 1 of 2
*gear in sig*

I like my tone now, but it seems a tad bright and I'd like to give it warmer tone, especially for solos.

All my guitars are Mahogany, amp has KT77's, and custom wound Invaders (only on white one).

Now, when i solo i switch to the neck pickup. Could it be the pups in the black Syn? They are Duncan Designed HB-108's (even crappier Invader). If i were to change them out, I'd look for something warm yet high output
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Jan 26, 2009,
try just rolling the tone knob back a little bit, add some reverb and EQ it differently
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Well, that is another thing I'm in the habit of doing, lol. It does work by rolling the tone knob back, and i always use reverb. But i was wondering if there was any other way. Thanks bro
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Is the tone knob a master? If so, then just rewire it so that it only affects the neck pickup and keep it rolled off
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
get an overdrive pedal with a tone control or some sort of eq, that way for solos you can add a bit more gain as well as warm up your tone if you set the tone knob down.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Slap some Pure Nickel strings on your axe - or maybe even bright flatwounds like D'Addario Chromes. Also lower the pickups a little.
If that doesn't do it, you might want to consider a speaker change.
A speaker swap may be in order. I know these amps react strongly to preamp tube swaps as well.
Do you know what brands and types of preamp tubes are in the amp?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
it has all Fender rebranded 12AX7 and the same only 12AT7 in the PI.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Add some Mid-bass whit an EQ and cut a little bit on the higher frequencise.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by bjovi400
it has all Fender rebranded 12AX7 and the same only 12AT7 in the PI.
If I were you I would put JJ ECC83S's in the amps V1 & V2 spots. This will darken and smooth out your amps tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
whats you're EQ look like if your mids are scooped add some mids it'll help a whole lot
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
EQ my friend. More mids and a little bit of delay will thicken your sound.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
like every one else said, EQ and if you use a lot of reverb roll off it a little
i use light delay and reverb all the time. and my EQ is

Gain: 7
Bass: 5.5
Mid: 4
Treble: 6

that's where it's at now, but every few times i play it, I'll adjust certain things ever so slightly but moving mids doesn't do anything for darkness. Like i said, the only thing that really works is rolling back the tone knob on my guitars.

I'm not looking for thickness, i'm literally looking for... warmth... lol. I just want to darken it up a bit, ... since the XXX is bright too
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Jan 27, 2009,
The Synyster Gates guitar has a Floyd right? You're gonna need to lower your treble to account for the added brightness of a Floyd.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
it's the same for my C1

Lowering my treble doesn't darken it up, it only adds more bass and mids due to the active EQ.

See how I'm kinda stuck here? lol
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by bjovi400
it's the same for my C1

It could just be some overly bright pickups then. The flatwound strings suggested earlier would be good for giving you a warmer, mellower tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
lower your treble and presence.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by bjovi400
i use light delay and reverb all the time. and my EQ is

Gain: 7
Bass: 5.5
Mid: 4
Treble: 6

that's where it's at now, but every few times i play it, I'll adjust certain things ever so slightly but moving mids doesn't do anything for darkness. Like i said, the only thing that really works is rolling back the tone knob on my guitars.

I'm not looking for thickness, i'm literally looking for... warmth... lol. I just want to darken it up a bit, ... since the XXX is bright too

more mids less trebble and bass could probaly stay the same waybut if you get like a 10 band eq pedal youll have more control and will be able to make it warmer too
Quote by Waterboy799
lower your treble and presence.

read my posts, i've already tried this
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
maybe you need a new amp.

what kind of music do you play?

(sorry, i know you are an amp expert - just throwin that out there)

I'm not an expert, i just know a lot obout Peaveys amps and no i don't need a new amp, it took me so long to get this thing, and i love it. I just want a few ways to 'darken' or 'warm' it up
Quote by eberg2
more mids less trebble and bass could probaly stay the same waybut if you get like a 10 band eq pedal youll have more control and will be able to make it warmer too

Tried adjusting the EQ, it doesn't really work too well for adding warmth or darkness. And i am looking at perhaps a 10-band EQ pedal, speaker swap, new preamp tubes, and maybe pickups.

amirite?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400

I'm not an expert, i just know a lot obout Peaveys amps and no i don't need a new amp, it took me so long to get this thing, and i love it. I just want a few ways to 'darken' or 'warm' it up

Tried adjusting the EQ, it doesn't really work too well for adding warmth or darkness. And i am looking at perhaps a 10-band EQ pedal, speaker swap, new preamp tubes, and maybe pickups.

amirite?

depending on wich speaker, i dont know enough about the different brands/types sorry lol, but that would definately help i fyou want it like permenantly changed, i would try the eq pedal first if you just dont like the brightness of the amp but you like the over all tone
Triple XXX from my experience is just a naturally bright amp. You already use a mahogany guitar, already running kt77s, you might want to try new speakers. Another option is that you might want to try some new pickups, though I think switching speakers may make a bigger impact.

Maybe some pickups like these?
http://www.wcrguitar.com/herc.html

I haven't tried them myself but they get glowing reviews (like pretty much all of his pickups) from just about everyone who has.

Or pickups like these?
http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore.html

I have the Fillmores in my guitar, they're not really high output pickups (more like overwound vintage pickups, but are super versatile), but they're definitely the warmest pickups I've ever used. The highs have a lot of bite, but not really the edgy kind of grind making them sound really smooth with a very creamy texture. Listen to the sound clips, they're very accurate.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=349730&content=songinfo&songID=6572910

There is another clip, which I really like, the harmonic detail is just extraordinary. They're not "dark," but they are warm sounding, and have a very "vocal" kind of tone. You might like them for whatever music you play. Definitely consider pickups like these if you are looking for new ones and can spend in the $300 range. Look around the web, brands like WCR aren't really that popular around here (where everyone uses either EMGs, Duncans or Dimarzios), but everyone who has tried them pretty much love them. That being said Jim Wagner is a cool dude himself.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by bjovi400

i did and you have your Treble at 6.

like i said, lower it.

Presence also controls the frequencies above Treble, try lower that too if you have one.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Waterboy799
i did and you have your Treble at 6.

like i said, lower it.

Presence also controls the frequencies above Treble, try lower that too if you have one.

Quote by bjovi400

Lowering my treble doesn't darken it up, it only adds more bass and mids due to the active EQ.

See how I'm kinda stuck here? lol

See how I'm kinda stuck here?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
See how I'm kinda stuck here?

lower all of your knobs by one notch.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
that doesn't warm it up! I've tried all of the EQing i could do with the amp. I'm satisfied with the tone, i just want it darker. If that makes any sense. I will try a 10 band EQ, and new tubes. I do need them
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Using a heavier string gauge will give a thicker, richer sound. Also, your pickups ideally need to have Alnico magnets to get the warmth. Using 250K pots instead of 500K pots will also shave off more treble and darken the overall sound.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Jan 28, 2009,
a 10 band (or even a danelectro fish n chips 7 band) Eq pedal is a addition to anyones pedal board. If you need new tubes anyway, then you should get those but always keep in mind that you can pick up a decent eq pedal for 30 bucks and it could really help add warmth. Even if you can't find a good setting for you they are always handy to have and help shape your tone a lot more than 3 band. Plus active eqs can get tricky.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
If rolling back the tone knob does the trick, I don't see why it's a problem to just do that.

But, maybe try some different preamp tubes. JJs?

Also, to whoever suggest pure nickel strings, that's not a bad idea. I use GHS Nickel Rockers on my Strat because they are a bit warmer than your standard Ernie Ball, etc. strings.

Strings and tubes aren't going to change your tone's character, but they would help a little bit.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
It may not help you but when I'm feeling like I need more "warmth" I turn the reverb up a notch or two. Just throwing that out there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Invaders aren't exactly the warmest pickups ever.
I know your guitar is mahogany, but it's a rather thin mahogany with a thin neck if I recall properly, which will reduce the warmth the wood would usually impart.
Running a thin guitar with really hot pickups into a peavey amp is not a good way to get a warm tone. You're probably going to have to change one of those things or make a significant addition somewhere else (EQ pedal, tubes, etc).
Quote by bjovi400

OK. That's cool. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I just didn't want to insult you so I called you an expert. That was based on other intelligent posts I've seen from you regarding amps. I love the XXX so don't get me wrong. It just seems like you've been thru all the suggestions made and are still not totally satisfied. Roc just made a great observation as well. bright + bright + bright = bright. right?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
OK. That's cool. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I just didn't want to insult you so I called you an expert. That was based on other intelligent posts I've seen from you regarding amps. I love the XXX so don't get me wrong. It just seems like you've been thru all the suggestions made and are still not totally satisfied. Roc just made a great observation as well. bright + bright + bright = bright. right?

oh ok, It's not that I'm not satisfied with the suggestions, it's just that further EQing the amp does absolutely nothing to darken it up and i always use a bit of reverb and a splash of delay. I do however realize that perhaps a 10 band EQ, new pups, tubes especially (considering the ones in there now), speaker swap, or a combination of all of these can help

Quote by Roc8995
Invaders aren't exactly the warmest pickups ever.
I know your guitar is mahogany, but it's a rather thin mahogany with a thin neck if I recall properly, which will reduce the warmth the wood would usually impart.
Running a thin guitar with really hot pickups into a peavey amp is not a good way to get a warm tone. You're probably going to have to change one of those things or make a significant addition somewhere else (EQ pedal, tubes, etc).

My Syn Custom and Standard are strangely different when it comes to wood characteristics, actually. What i mean is, that my Custom (still made from Mahogany) is the same thickness & size as my Standard, only sounds much brighter and lighter (wood-wise) than my standard, which I find odd considering the price difference and presumably higher grade materials. Both aren't Les Paul size and thickness, obviously, but I wouldn't call them thin bodied/necked at all.

Would anyone hapen to know what kind of tubes they really are now? all i know is that they are all stamped and worn looking with the Fender logo and 12Ax7 & 12At7
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Jan 28, 2009,
Fender makes good tubes right?
Those preamp tubes you have...prolly bright but could be dark. Buy some new ones that are darker. I don't remember how many they have. Pics? Yes a combination of things will help over all. Download the manual.
unfortunately, my sister lost my camera, and i have yet to be payed back, so i have nothing. I'm trying to find a picture on google of what they look like
Ibanez AEL 12-string

^cool. can you count the fender tubes that are there now. Those should be easy to replace. JJs yep....i think 12AX7 and 12AT7 right? At least that is my immediate thought....along with some of the other suggestions.
Fender tubes are pretty mediocre tubes, in my experience, assuming they actually make the preamp tubes. Their power tubes are usually Groove Tubes. I'm sure the preamps are relabeled something or other.

But I do think tubes would be the easiest and most dramatic fix, short of getting an EQ pedal, I guess.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^cool. can you count the fender tubes that are there now. Those should be easy to replace. JJs yep....i think 12AX7 and 12AT7 right? At least that is my immediate thought....along with some of the other suggestions.

why count them, 3 of the 12Ax7's and 1 12At7 in the PI. all the same Fender logo and color writing
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Page 1 of 2