So, I'm building a frankenstrat and I don't know what kind of pickups to put in it. I am gonna connect the neck pickup. I need a humbucker and a single coil pickup for hard rock and metal, also it would help if MF sells them.
if you like metal, get an EMG for the humbucker... i have EMGs on my bass and theyre kickass. EMG pickups are known for being good for playing metal, i dont know what you would use as the single coil cause im not all that familiar with guitar pickups...
well, hard rock and metal... theyre on my schecter and i can get a wide range of tones because theyre active pickups. i can even get a warm fat sound like in jazz out of them. im not sure how the guitar ones are. My brother has a schecter as well but his guitar has seymour duncan pickups which, in my opinion, are very good so thats another good option.
Last edited by freedomdeceptiv at Jan 26, 2009,
An EVH style frankenstrat?

Get a Seymour Duncan Antiquity for the bridge.
Get some UG searchbars.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Lace Alumitones should add to the instrument's flexibility, and they come in single-coil or humbucking sizes.

(Yes, I said "sizes"- apparently, the two types perform nearly identically. The different sizes exist to fit different guitars.)

http://lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/alumitone/alumitone_specs.php
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Depends entirely on your amp, your playing style and what other pedals/accessories you use.

For example if you play on a Marshall JCM 800 100w fully cranked all the time playing in arenas with a heavy pick action and you're not using any pedals, then active pickups might be good or at least a higher-output passive pickup like a Seymour Duncan JB model.

On the other hand if you mostly play in your bedroom on a 1/3 volume 15w combo amp using pedals for distortion then you'd be best off with a mid- or lower-output passive pickup like a Pearly Gates or a DiMarzio PAF Pro.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
in that case, you're screwed! :p
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Seymour Duncan SH-5 ftw

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by sglover34479
what if I play medium volume at small gigs using sometimes just the amp and sometimes pedals?
Then you should avoid active pickups certainly. Some higher-output passive pickups might still be viable for you depending on the specifics of your rig.

Even so, if you use pedals at all and/or if you're not fully cranking your amp then you are probably best off with a mid-output pickup for the bridge and a low-output pickup for the neck. Overwound Alnico II or underwound Alnico V for humbuckers and definitely something nothing overwound for singlecoils. I'd suggest something in the range of a SD Five Two singlecoil pickup and anything between a Pearly Gates up to a Duncan Custom humbucker.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
What Peavey amp? What guitar wood? What bridge? What main music style? Lead or rhythm focused? Specific tonal demands? It all matters.

In any case I'd suggest that the PAF Pro is too bright for the bridge position in anything but a mahogany or possibly korina body; anything brighter and a better choice would be a Duncan Custom 5 or DiMarzio Breed.
Wouldn't bother with high output pickups then; they're designed to drive the front end of a tube amp, so they won't do much in something like a Transtube. You're probably better off saving up for a new amp, but since you're probably not going to need anything too high output I don't see why you shouldn't change pickups now.
Try the Breeds, both bridge and neck. they work perfectly in alder.
Well, I am saving for a new amp but other things are more important. I'm not switching pickups I'm building a guitar and wondering pickups to put in it. Breeds eh? I need a single coil and a humbucker, do they come in both sizes?

SGEDIT: I checked, I only see humbucker sizes. Any suggestions for a single coil?
Last edited by sglover34479 at Feb 15, 2009,
Oh yeah, I completely forgot the details

Try the DiMarzio Area '61; fat, weighty single coil sound without hum.
No problem whatsoever. You might want to get other opinions too though, because that's just what they are; opinions.
Quote by Rock Pig
No problem whatsoever. You might want to get other opinions too though, because that's just what they are; opinions.

Okay, I think any pickups are better than what's in my current guitar. It's an Epi Sg speacial with stock pups, so anything will be an upgrade.