Page 1 of 2
Hey guys what are the various methods to add a growl to your distortion channel?
Right now my tone is pretty good, but it's more of a "Masters of Puppets" sharp distortion sound. I can't really describe it, but it's more "smack" than a "growl."
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
If you want growl like lamb of god, I know the lead guitarist sets his amp up: Bass-8 Mid-5 Treble-2, Try it and see what you think.
I realized I wanted a more growly tone when listening to John Petrucci's rhythm tone if that helps any, and I'm not about to upgrade to a Mark IV anytime soon.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
1. Insert rotweiler into cabinet.
2. Taunt rotweiler.
3. ?????
4. Profit!

Just kidding. Hmmm.... adding growl to tone? Uhh.... what do you mean? Like getting a more aggressive distortion?

As in, are you trying to get out of the more cutting style (like Metallica/Megadeth thrash sound) to a more modern, defined, aggressive sound?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
stratman_13 you nailed it completely.
That's what I was trying to say, but couldn't think of how to put it.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Midz.
Quote by Soul Eater
stratman_13 you nailed it completely.
That's what I was trying to say, but couldn't think of how to put it.

I know. Rotweilers are the solution to EVERY tone problem

If you're trying to get a more defined, aggressive sound, you could try pushing your mids a little harder (I know the 5150 is a very, VERY, mid-y amp), and maybe pushing the treble frequencies? Maybe something like.....

Bass - 6
Mid - 6
Treble - 7?

I mean, it all depends on how the 5150's EQ sweep is; I have no clue how sensitive it really is. But I'd try pushing the mids more, and maybe a tad bit more treble, and bass to taste.
--

--
Clean-boosting with a tubescreamer type OD can add tons of growl. As has been said, keep your mids high on the amp too (though I disagree that the 5150 is a middy amp, quite the opposite in my opinion).
Well the 5150 is a really middy amp because of the stock Sheffields it has in the combo.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Yeah, I definitely second the OD opinion. The BBE Boosta Grande works better than a Tube Screamer in my opinion; it literally is a clean boost.

I'm going to run some experiments running two OD systems. My Boss RC-20, when run in the effects loop and having the output level almost maxed, pushes the power amp really hard. I'm going to boost it with my BBE as well. We'll see what happens

But yeah, an OD or a clean boost will also do wonders for your sound. Good point, Nolly
--

--
Would that give me more of a growl than an MXR EQ? I was looking into getting the EQ beforehand.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
get an EQ. run it in front of the amp, that way you can use it as a clean boost as well as boosting and cutting certain frequencies to help you get that sound. the MXR should be perfect, especially the 10 band
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
EQ, definitely. Listen to nutinpwnsgibson; from what I've seen in his posts he knows what he's talking about.

*waits for a sig *

If you get it, we demand pics and clips. It's the GG&A standard
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jan 26, 2009,
Yea, I was going to get the 10 band used for $70. It was mainly for getting hid of some unwanted stuff, but this is an added bonus.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by stratman_13
EQ, definitely. Listen to nutinpwnsgibson; from what I've seen in his posts he knows what he's talking about.

*waits for a sig *

If you get it, we demand pics and clips. It's the GG&A standard

sig'd

Quote by Soul Eater
Yea, I was going to get the 10 band used for $70. It was mainly for getting hid of some unwanted stuff, but this is an added bonus.

are you also getting the other stuff?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 26, 2009,
I would love to get clips, but seeing as I'm just upgrading from beginner's equipment, I don't have anything for recording. All you see in my sig is what I play through.
I figure I should get my sound before I try to record it .
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Cheers nutinpwnsgibson

Quote by Soul Eater
I would love to get clips, but seeing as I'm just upgrading from beginner's equipment, I don't have anything for recording. All you see in my sig is what I play through.
I figure I should get my sound before I try to record it .

Do you have a PC? Can you download Audacity? Can you borrow a RockBand mic from someone?

Bam. Recording rig. Check my profile for the proof
--

--
Funny thing about that. I went to your profile, listened to the first to songs and crashed my firefox. Maybe there's some weird encoding on one of your MP3's? But from what I heard, the quality wasn't half bad.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
TBH it just sounds like you are a fan of British Hi Gain. Mod your 5150 to take EL34s/84s?
What would be an example of a British hi gain, other than ENGL?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
you could get one of the high-gain marshalls and push it with an OD pedal + Eq pedal
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
IDK if you saw, but I got this amp last month and I'm not looking to "upgrade" to a Marshall (I wouldn't call it an upgrade) just pedals/trick to make it sound like I put a Rottweiler in my amp w/o PETA getting on my case.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Just boost your mids.

Turn them to 10

And play louder.
Quote by Soul Eater

one word buddy: SLAYER. of course, they dont always sound very good on albums and live, but if you ever get to try out that JCM800KK signature, or just a regular JCM900/800 it defines that juicy british hi gain sound
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by imgooley
Just boost your mids.

Turn them to 10

And play louder.

As much as I disagree with goolz, he's nailed it (twice) in this thread. Before I even opened it I thought mids, then you mentioned the metallica thing (who scooped their mids to death) and knew that mids was your answer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The problem I should have stated before was I was getting a Metallica setting with my mids at 5.5. I bosted them and I don't like the sound of it. Maybe an EQ could get the freq I'm looking for?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Yes, or maybe an OD of some sort.

I will say though, I think of british amps when I think growl, so you might be at a disadvantage with the 5150 there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I found the ideal 'growl' I would be after in this if that helps you guys at all. The part when he's playing the chords from 0:22 to 0:34 and some chugging at 1:50 is the growl I'm talking about.

You all have been really helpful so far, thanks a lot.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
i dont think he's looking to get a brighter, british type of sound.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Yeah, if Petrucci can get the tone out of a Mark IV I don't think British is really what I'm looking for.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
My .02

Marshall has to much bite too it and its way to bright and 6505's have more of a raw bark to them. When I think of growl the amps that come to mind are Engl Fireball's and Bogner Uberschall's. Just something with a really smooth gain structure and nice lowend.
Growl comes mostly from mid/high mid voicing. It's hard to make an amp that isn't voiced for growl, growl. Turning up the Mid's with a touch of treble might help you get there.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
So would my amp be less voiced for growl than say, a Mark IV?
I'm just wondering if it's something I'll have to play w/o or if I can obtain it somehow.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Damn i also want to achieve a tone which i guess might be close to yours. i want my pod xt live to sound like children of bodom but when i turn treble or mids it just sounds stupid
The 5150 does a good CoB tone, you should try one out. They even used it on one of their albums.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
You can boost it with an OD to tighten it up a bit and possibly add some growl, but the 5150 is a pretty mean sounding amp as it is.

Quote by Soul Eater

Splawn, or Marshall JVM

Quote by Soul Eater
So would my amp be less voiced for growl than say, a Mark IV?
I'm just wondering if it's something I'll have to play w/o or if I can obtain it somehow.

JI wouldn't bother with a Mark IV, if you're having trouble dialing in a 5150 you will have a really tough time with a IV.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Jan 27, 2009,
I'm not saying I'm looking for buying a Mark IV, but that's where the tone I was after came from. And it's not that I'm having a hard time dialing one in, I just would like to know the various ways on how to shape my sound. Thanks for the help though.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Soul Eater, I will drive to your house and give you $600 cash for your amp.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Page 1 of 2