ive been told to play fast you should hold the pick at a 45 angle. what exactly does that mean? yeah im dumb but if someone could explain it would be cool.

also any tips on tremolo picking?
I'm not sure if this is going to make sense but when you play normally (strumming or picking individual notes) you hold the pick flat like this --- . It works great for strumming but if you want to tremolo pick it doesn't work as well because the pick gets caught in the strings and you won't be able to pick as fast or as cleanly. You want to hold the pick at a 45 degree angle like this / so it's angled enough to not get caught but also so the notes come out cleanly. Hopefully that makes some sense, but basically when your tremelo picking angle the pick diagonally to the strings, keep your wrist loose, and anchor your hand whatever way is most comfortable
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
A little bit of both, personally I move the pick from between the palm side of my thumb and side of my index finger to the palm side of both by pushing the pick up against it with my thumb and I sort of **** my wrist. The key is to do what's comfortable for you that lets you get the angle. Once you get it you'll know, just keep messing around with how you hold the pick and your wrist. It took me a bunch of tries to find something comfortable. The most important part besides getting the angle is keeping your wrist loose too. If you have those two you'll have it down in no time

EDIT: wow it censors c ock that's kind of sad
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
Last edited by austinb0309 at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by austinb0309
I'm not sure if this is going to make sense but when you play normally (strumming or picking individual notes) you hold the pick flat like this --- . It works great for strumming but if you want to tremolo pick it doesn't work as well because the pick gets caught in the strings and you won't be able to pick as fast or as cleanly. You want to hold the pick at a 45 degree angle like this / so it's angled enough to not get caught but also so the notes come out cleanly. Hopefully that makes some sense, but basically when your tremelo picking angle the pick diagonally to the strings, keep your wrist loose, and anchor your hand whatever way is most comfortable

Do you use a certain pick when doing this, stiffer seems to work better for me. I was thinking about trying some other picks. I am getting better at tremolo but it gets harder as the left hand gets farther down the neck.
i can tremolo really well now with my left hand at any area on the fret board, my trick isnt pick angle but its the movement of my right hand, my pick angle is straight | for tremolo but angled / \ for strumming actualy, its as simple as PRACTICE and you will get it perfect, you could know the theories of how to do it correctly but without practice you wont be able to play correctly
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO