I really like their style and when I sit down to write some music, I can't make anything that sounds good >_> I feel like all I can write is breakdowns with sour notes or whatever they are called in there.

Any tips for that style?

If not, I will just take some tips for anything vaguely in that category of music.
Well Thomas writes stuff from his own life... but if you are going to try, make it catchy, and it doesnt necessarily have to rhyme. lol The Fall of Troy is my FAVORITE band you have good taste in music my friend
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
They are pretty good. I would suggest not trying to write songs that sound like another band though. Just be yourself. I know... really lame advice but I got stuck in a songwriting rut when I tried to sound like other bands. In fact I was trying to sound like protest the hero. Now i'm much better off writing what comes naturally to me.
Quote by urrynater86
They are pretty good. I would suggest not trying to write songs that sound like another band though. Just be yourself. I know... really lame advice but I got stuck in a songwriting rut when I tried to sound like other bands. In fact I was trying to sound like protest the hero. Now i'm much better off writing what comes naturally to me.

+100 so true
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
If you want to sound like any band, then play their records and jam along to it. If you play something unlike them, then abandon it and try something new next time. If you play something similar to them, make a mental log. That's all there is to it. Hope this helps.
I've been getting into The Troy a lot myself lately too and I've been trying to incorporate certain parts of Thomas' playing into my own.

Use a dropped tuning and some delay.
Try finding "chords" (I use that term loosely) of 2-notes that are somewhat atonal that can resolve to nicer ones.
Play passages with odd timings/tempos.

While I think it's great to analyse other guitarist's styles and try and copy parts, I definitely agree with urrynater86 that for your OWN music, don't copy. Just pick as many ideas from as many players as you can and weave them around your own style.
Trying to write music that's similar to another band is harder than you think - managing to sound enough like them to be recognisable without downright copying a song isn't easy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i've got my dd3 so I will see what I can do ;D

and i just like their style as a genre, if that even makes sense.

i have no intentions of being in a tfot rip off band XD