I am soon going to be purchasing a marshall 120watt halfstack (MG100HDFX) and i may sound like a total noob but, do i need to buy anything to connect the head to the cab? my friends dad said he did, but i just thought i would double check before i oreder my amp, i dont want to get it and not be able to use it because i didnt buy a cable or something. Plz help?
a Y cable. Pick it up at radio shack or your local music center for less than $10.00 easily.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Take that $600 and buy a used peavey 5150 or something, please. Those amps are a huge waste of money, especially in half-stack form.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Quote by Lt.DustyBanana
Take that $600 and buy a used peavey 5150 or something, please. Those amps are a huge waste of money, especially in half-stack form.

I agree, but tone is completely personal taste. Maybe he likes the sound a Marshall will give him.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I would suggest not buying that giant oversized penis enlargement you call an MG.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales

Quote by Levi79
I am soon going to be purchasing a marshall 120watt halfstack (MG100HDFX) and i may sound like a total noob but, do i need to buy anything to connect the head to the cab? my friends dad said he did, but i just thought i would double check before i oreder my amp, i dont want to get it and not be able to use it because i didnt buy a cable or something. Plz help?

uh...
MG's are crap. Seriously don't buy one. You could get a ton of better amps for that price! Plus a half stack is not needed.
*cough*Check out some Bugeras*cough*
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by Levi79
why? your gonna tell me marshall, the biggest metal name in guitar amplifiers is a piece of junk?

I didn't say Marshall's suck. Let me explain.

The MG series isn't even a Marshall in the first place. They were made by a Chinese company called Park, who Marshall bought and stuck their name on with the precise intention of hocking these poorly built pieces of crap to beginners who, like you, saw the Marshall logo and thought it must be awesome.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Let me continue.

Secondly, it's solid state. The great Marshalls that produced that tone you've heard on so many records and have been used by Hendrix, Page, Slash, Wylde etc are all tube amplifiers, which are generally considered to be better than SS. However, tube Marshalls are insanely expensive new. Look for a used one.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666

The MG series isn't even a Marshall in the first place. They were made by a Chinese company called Park, who Marshall bought and stuck their name on with the precise intention of hocking these poorly built pieces of crap to beginners who, like you, saw the Marshall logo and thought it must be awesome.

what kind of half stack do you reccomend i get with 600$
Quote by Levi79
why? your gonna tell me marshall, the biggest metal name in guitar amplifiers is a piece of junk?

This marshall, in essence, IS a piece of junk. I suggest buying something else.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Levi79

for 600$ you could get a windsor, b-52, im actually not really familiar with stacks, but are you sure you need a stack, for 600$ you can get a pretty nice combo
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by Levi79

By the bands in your sig, I'll assume you play metal and heavier rock.

My first suggestion would be a Peavey Windsor. 100w all tube, based on a Marshall, and currently available at Musicians Ffriend for $399.

Otherwise, I'd say look into a combo. You don't really need a halfstack anyway; the main reason to have one is to look cool (not that there's anything wrong with that). If you must have a stack and don't want the Windsor, look used.
Quote by Cathbard
You could also look at a Krank Rev Jr for $700. Kranks are love/hate, but I personally love them.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666

My first suggestion would be a Peavey Windsor. 100w all tube, based on a Marshall, and currently available at Musicians Ffriend for $399.

Otherwise, I'd say look into a combo. You don't really need a halfstack anyway; the main reason to have one is to look cool (not that there's anything wrong with that). If you must have a stack and don't want the Windsor, look used.

thanks for the help, I was thinking about one of the ministacks too
^What ministack?

EDIT: A better question would be; are you gigging? Because if you aren't, the Peavey will be way too loud for just bedroom playing.

In that case, look into a Blackheart Handsome Devil and whatever cabinet you can get, plus an OD pedal. Or just the Krank head and whatever cab you find, cause that can do high gain metal without any help.
Quote by Cathbard
Last edited by shadow__666 at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
MG's are crap. Seriously don't buy one. You could get a ton of better amps for that price! Plus a half stack is not needed.

some people like stacks some like combos, i like stacks and apparently so does he

well before you buy any amp play through it first. if you decide you like it(or hate it) try some other amps in the price range see if you like those better
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
I checked Craigslist for you. I don't know if you're closer to Calgary or Edmonton or whether you can travel to either easily, but:

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/msg/976818278.html Kustom Defender- $500. Combo, but very Marshally in character. Probably needs an OD for metal.
http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/msg/961766889.html I don't know much about the older Traynors, but I hear they're real good. Once again, you might need an OD.
http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/msg/1000297439.html Seriously, if you can save some more, this amp is the gold standard round here for metal. You'll need to buy a seperate cab though so you may not be able to afford it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666

Please please please know what you're talking about before you say it. Park isn't a Chinese company, and Marshall was never a distributor for Park amps, Jim Marshall launched the Park name to distribute Marshall amps for a while to avoid the Rose-Morris contract. All the amps released under the "Park" moniker were all Marshalls. So stop trying to discredit the MGs as not being Marshalls, they are. They just don't sound that good.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by shadow__666
^What ministack?

EDIT: A better question would be; are you gigging? Because if you aren't, the Peavey will be way too loud for just bedroom playing.

In that case, look into a Blackheart Handsome Devil and whatever cabinet you can get, plus an OD pedal. Or just the Krank head and whatever cab you find, cause that can do high gain metal without any help.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_MG15MSII%20Micro%20Stack%20Series%20II%20Guitar%20Amp_-1_10052_10002_-49973660_cmCategorySA-10001#TabSection
and i am not gigging yet, but i plan to in a few months maybe
Quote by al112987
Please please please know what you're talking about before you say it. Park isn't a Chinese company, and Marshall was never a distributor for Park amps, Jim Marshall launched the Park name to distribute Marshall amps for a while to avoid the Rose-Morris contract. All the amps released under the "Park" moniker were all Marshalls. So stop trying to discredit the MGs as not being Marshalls, they are. They just don't sound that good .

I've actually heard that MG's are relabled Drive amps

To TS: Check out some B-52's and Bugeras.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Oh, and to answer your original question, you have to connect the head to the cabinet with a speaker cable. If you use an instrument cable it'll destroy your head (more or less.)
Quote by al112987
Please please please know what you're talking about before you say it. Park isn't a Chinese company, and Marshall was never a distributor for Park amps, Jim Marshall launched the Park name to distribute Marshall amps for a while to avoid the Rose-Morris contract. All the amps released under the "Park" moniker were all Marshalls. So stop trying to discredit the MGs as not being Marshalls, they are. They just don't sound that good.

My bad. I was using second hand knowledge there.

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that the MG's suck. TS, don't get that micro stack either, it sucks as bad as any other MG.

If you're not gigging right now, get a tube combo like the Blackheart Handsome Devil and an OD pedal to boost it into metal
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
My bad. I was using second hand knowledge there.

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that the MG's suck. TS, don't get that micro stack either, it sucks as bad as any other MG.

If you're not gigging right now, get a tube combo like the Blackheart Handsome Devil and an OD pedal to boost it into metal

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-All-Tube-Half-Stack?sku=485059 im going to get this, its 50$ more than a blackheart 15w half stack, and this is a peavy windsor tube 100w, thank you so much for the help btw, i am not a noob at playing but i am at buying amps because im 14 and never have any money lol
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Oh, and to answer your original question, you have to connect the head to the cabinet with a speaker cable. If you use an instrument cable it'll destroy your head (more or less.)

This is correct, although the risk is generally negligible with SS amps. I'm not sure what the guy who suggested the Y cable is smoking...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Levi79
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-All-Tube-Half-Stack?sku=485059 im going to get this, its 50$ more than a blackheart 15w half stack, and this is a peavy windsor tube 100w, thank you so much for the help btw, i am not a noob at playing but i am at buying amps because im 14 and never have any money lol

Whew. Congrats on not getting the MG.

If you can try to find maybe a nicer used stack than the windsor. Otherwise it will probably be a fine choice for you.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Go ahead, the Windsor would be great. Just remember it can't get any cleans without a ****eload of EQing and never turn it above 1 inside your house.
Quote by Cathbard
I own the MG 100HDFX overall it is decent at low levels but once you take it up a few voloume notches it gets really fizzy ect. Personaly if i could do it all over again and choose a different amp i woulda saved my money for a KranK. Tube amps are the best and KranK is more reliable in my opinion. The Marshall is decent tho i still use mine until i get my KranK.
Gear : Schecter Omen-6 , Schecter Devil Spine.
Marshall MG 100 HDFX , Krankenstine Half Stack (soon)
Thanks for bumping this thread to make such a useful post.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Yes you will be a speaker cable with 1/4" phono plug on both ends. Everyone above pretty much has covered the sound of an MG. I think that the small mg combos are OK. But halfstack...Think about it.
AL
Quote by shadow__666

Get the Windsor with an OD/Distortion pedal and EQ. Should be able to get all three under $600.

EDIT: didn't realize the age of this thread. Sorry for the added bump.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Feb 24, 2009,