Hi, this is a really really stupid question so im sorry

does it matter which way you bend? coz on my high E string if i bend up it goes off the fretboard, so would it matter in any way if i bend towards the b string?

thanks, sorry for the stupidity
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
no difference at all, both ways are the same

EDIT: original post made no sense
Last edited by SteamMaster at Jan 26, 2009,
both the same, whichever way is less likley to go off the fretboard is usually better, but whatever is more comfortable.
Equiptment:

Bass: Yamaha RBX170
Amp: Fender Rumble 100
Pedal: Boss BOD-3 Bass overdrive pedal
Normally you'd bend towards the centre of the fretboard for the outer strings - otherwise you are pretty limited to how far you can bend a note before you run out of space - so you'd normally push to bend the e and B strings, pull for the E and A strings, and whatever feels right to the D and G strings - but there are always exceptions
oh ok, i understand
thanks guys

Join The NSW FTW Group
Why would you want to go off the fretboard? You lose string durability, and can damage your strings (even break immediately if it's a high E). Bend towards the center. Alot of people use 3 fingers for more strength, but I find it much easier to just do it with one. Only downside to bending towards the center is you tend to hit another string, causing it to ring out, and that's one of the WORST things that could ever happen.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Why would you want to go off the fretboard? You lose string durability, and can damage your strings (even break immediately if it's a high E). Bend towards the center. Alot of people use 3 fingers for more strength, but I find it much easier to just do it with one. Only downside to bending towards the center is you tend to hit another string, causing it to ring out, and that's one of the WORST things that could ever happen.

if you bend into another string it usually deadens it however, unless you accidentally hit a natural harmonic, then it can be quite unpleasant
Well, its usually caused by fingernails. If you have even somewhat long nails, it tends to pluck another string, and since it rings out with clarity, it ruins the sound, and well... Y'know. Getting it to deaden the sound takes a bit of practice though. A while ago, my guitar teacher gave me the advice that it's a good idea to palm mute the strings above to prevent it.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Well, its usually caused by fingernails. If you have even somewhat long nails, it tends to pluck another string, and since it rings out with clarity, it ruins the sound, and well... Y'know. Getting it to deaden the sound takes a bit of practice though. A while ago, my guitar teacher gave me the advice that it's a good idea to palm mute the strings above to prevent it.

oh yes, my bad, slight misunderstanding, you were meaning when your releasing the bend yes? catching the string, ive done that on occasions, its even worse when the thumb of your picking hand has a longish part of the nail and catches the string aswell
Don't believe I've ever had that happen to me, unless I never noticed it. But then again, I have very short nails, and a lot of people I know who are great at pinches have pretty long nails. Maybe it helps? My pinches are weird anyways, I kinda pluck out, so I don't miss the harmonic.
Wait High E? You Mean Low E?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
on the high E string i bend down all the time, it makes a cool sound. Satch does it to sometimes.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

well he did say towards B string so he just got his direction mixed up, cause, left handed wouldnt make any difference, its just a horizontal mirror of right handed

EDIT:

Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Don't believe I've ever had that happen to me, unless I never noticed it. But then again, I have very short nails, and a lot of people I know who are great at pinches have pretty long nails. Maybe it helps? My pinches are weird anyways, I kinda pluck out, so I don't miss the harmonic.

i just forget to clip my nails alot, but, i pinch harmonic like crazy
Last edited by SteamMaster at Jan 27, 2009,
Yeh sorry i did get my directions messed up
i was looking at the guitar whilst on the stand, not playing it and got it mixed up
sorry guys

Join The NSW FTW Group
Going off the fretboard can sometime cause a "harmonic" (not really just a higher pitch), such as in Master of Puppets, in which Kirk Hammett does it in the last note of the solo.
Magnum - Lead Guitar/Vocals ...Feeling Lucky?

Quote by pilgrimevan

...actually my favorite riff came out of getting a handjob.