ok, i have a crazy, idle-minded idea.

theres a secondhand music store in a town i visit regularly.
there website says they have a 1988 rickenbacker 4001 for just £950.
being a lover of the rickenbacker look and sound this makes me tingle with joy.
one problem, it's left handed.

now here starts the crazy, i'm entertaining the idea of hendixing the situation, that of course being fliping it over and playing it right handed.
leading me to pose this qustion to any rickenbacker buffs out there:
can i swap the nut round to take right handed strings and be able to reverse it at a later date?

becuase the second half of my master plan is to sell it on for more than i payed for it, i mean a rick for £950 is a bargin, let alone a lefty.

so yeah, anyone know if it could be done cheaply and reversable?
Quote by 2112pk
ok, i have a crazy, idle-minded idea.

theres a secondhand music store in a town i visit regularly.
there website says they have a 1988 rickenbacker 4001 for just £950.
being a lover of the rickenbacker look and sound this makes me tingle with joy.
one problem, it's left handed.

now here starts the crazy, i'm entertaining the idea of hendixing the situation, that of course being fliping it over and playing it right handed.
leading me to pose this qustion to any rickenbacker buffs out there:
can i swap the nut round to take right handed strings and be able to reverse it at a later date?

becuase the second half of my master plan is to sell it on for more than i payed for it, i mean a rick for £950 is a bargin, let alone a lefty.

so yeah, anyone know if it could be done cheaply and reversable?

Buy it, sell it on eBay and buy a right handed Rick...and you WILL have money left.

Might be interested to read about left handed Ricks and their rarity...

"An analysis of the registered 1700 Rickenbackers at the present time reveals that approximately two percent are left-handed."

http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/lefty.html

I seen the Chris Squier version (left handed) go for £1,600.

What i'm saying ; Don't touch it, just sell it on.
That was definatly plan B.

infact, i was thinking of asking the gutitar store that's about half a mile from the 2nd hand store how much they'd buy it for before i even buy it.
then selling it without ever taking it home.
Quote by 2112pk
That was definatly plan B.

infact, i was thinking of asking the gutitar store that's about half a mile from the 2nd hand store how much they'd buy it for before i even buy it.
then selling it without ever taking it home.

Don't sell it to a music store, they'll rip you off. Post adverts on BassChat and the Rickenbacker forum, that's where the die hards lurk. I was reading about this yesterday on another forum how a guy in the UK had a massive bidding war going for his left handed Ricky, finally sold to a guy in America who was willing to pay the transport costs. Shows how much these things are wanted!
Quote by Micehorns
"An analysis of the registered 1700 Rickenbackers at the present time reveals that approximately two percent are left-handed."

F*********************************************************!!!!!

I saw a lefty Rick at a used guitar store a while ago. Actually, it was over $2000 (it was old, like 70s or 80s or something), so I probably wouldn't have made a profit off it anyway,
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
NEVER sell to a music store- you WILL get ripped off. eBay that mo'fo.

Rickenbackers are orgasmic- everyone deserves one.
how would i get ripped off just depending on where i sell?
I'm smart (and tightfisted) enough to haggle up till i get a reasonable price, if not, i'll walk away.
surly £1500 of their money is as good as anyone from ebay, better really, no fees or shipping costs.

also Delirium, why post that here?
you said yourself it's pointless to come all up in the crib and start hating on the homies, or something to that effect.

plus, love it or hate it, a rickenbackers has EPIC potential as a weapon of terror.
you be helping them, is that what you want? is it?
also Delirium, why post that here?
you said yourself it's pointless to come all up in the crib and start hating on the homies, or something to that effect.

I was doing it for light relief. The other instance wasn't, since I was actually off doing some research for you. A 1979 4001LH went for only $995, so your best bet is to make sure you shop around... and sometimes, all the haggling in the world won't get a shop to buy at your price- remember, they have to make a profit.
I am of course aware of the fact that haggling doesn't ALWAYS work.
especially with larger stores , but that's when you walk away and find a better offer.
I'm just cautious of selling on ebay, seeing as i have no expirence and have heard negative things about the fees for selling
this is all on the proviso that they even HAVE the bass for me to buy in the first, which is increasingly unlikely.

also, no-one has answered my question.
can you modify the nut with out irreparable modification?
see i ASUME that's how it would be.
but rickenbacker just ****ing LOVE making simple things like a nut or a tuning peg Immensely complicated.
but they also love telling everyone how complicated these things are.
and seeing as i've seen no reference to the "amazing rick-o-bridge", i doubt it's anything super complex
gotta agree with Del, I do not like the Rics very much. they look cool. that is where it ends. besides the dual tone knobs, it is rather uninteresting on a single signal. the tone it gets just doesn't move. like many have said it sounds only like a Ric. that bugs me.

but, I think it would be really cool looking upside down.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The only thing I like more than a Ric, is making money

Ok, I like several things more than a Ric, but you should still definitely buy this one, sell it, and buy another one! Just because you can.

BTW, Aidy? I clicked your sig when I started reading this topic, forgot about it, and had the sh** scared out of me when your music randomly started blaring 10 minutes later... I just figured you would wan't to know.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
^ilol'ed- especially if it was These Are Streets We've Known!

Also, reverse Ricks look great- a bit like an iceman, actually:

It'd look a little like that, methinks.

Oh, Delirium- you coming to the Manchester gig?
Alrighty- It's either in the middle or the end of our album recording, so we'll be shoving out quite a lot of new songs. That, and I'll be rocking the Rick for, I think, its 4th show. You're free to have a go on it.
You have to take the strings completely off to change the nut....normally this isn't a problem, but it might mean you will have to adjust the truss rods, which is a big thing for the 4001. It has dual truss rods that can cause the fretboard to pop off if done improperly. (google this)

Also, in addition to what was listed above, Talkbass.com is also a good place to sell. They even have an ebay-like buyer/seller feedback system. I think you have to be a supportimg member to sell, but it's like $15, which is cheaper than what eBay would charge.
Nope, no sig here.
do any of the rickenbacker owners here know if the nut has any of the neck finish on it?
becuse that would probably make taking it off harder
do you recon it'd be hard to remove?

becuase i've read that you just need to line it up with a bunt object and tap it with a hamer a bit.
there seems to be alot of talk about removing GUITAR nuts, but i havent heard anything about the nuuts on the basses
They have the same basic construction...I don't see why they'd be any different, though if there's finish on the nut then things will be a bit more complicated.
Nope, no sig here.
do you think i could use the same nut, just turn it round?
rickenbacker nuts look very square. on both sides
Quote by Aidy Damage

WTF is that? It's sexy.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
It's a Killer Simmony. It's based on the old signature for Toshiya from Dir En Grey before he switched over to ESP. They still produce it, just under the 'Simmony' name instead of calling it a Toshiya sig.
Quote by 2112pk
how would i get ripped off just depending on where i sell?

You won't necessarily get "ripped off" at a music store but you'll probably get less money. (Yes, there is a difference) If this Ric generally sold for fifteen hundred pounds used (example only), the store couldn't possibly pay you fifteen hundred for it. They want to make a profit selling it, so they might only offer you eight hundred, one thousand, or the like. If you just skipped the music shop, you could sell it to someone for fifteen hundred.

Problem is, you have to find someone to buy it. The store can sit around with the thing in inventory for quite a while. You might want the money sooner. People tend to value money now better than money later, so selling to the store is still a viable option.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jan 29, 2009,
after looking at the bridges on most rickenbackers, it looks to be a fairly simple fix to remove.
i'll most probably check to see if it's still there at the weekend