What's up everybody? I'm 19 years old and have recently decided to purchase a guitar and learn how to play. In fact me and a few of my friends now have aspirations of starting a Metalcore band. However I know next to nothing about what is considered a good guitar for a good price along with a good amp and whatever else I may need to start rocking out. So I figured I'd ask some people on a forum like this for some help.
Last edited by Legendary Z at Jan 27, 2009,
Epiphone Les Paul 100

Cheapest possible version of one the greatest guitars

EDIT: Yeah i just answered the question on the title, i never really clicked the link in the first post. Go with their advice if you want something good for metalcore, but the LP 100 is a good all around guitar. Also it's fairly cheap and pretty good for a first guitar.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Last edited by PhillyHendrix at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by PhillyHendrix
Epiphone Les Paul 100

Cheapest possible version of one the greatest guitars

dont listen to him. if your looking for a metal core sounding guitar your not going to like a guitar like that (no offense to you or the guitar). http://www.music123.com/ESP-LTD-MH-250NT-Electric-Guitar-516687-i1149050.Music123 its a fairly good guitar for the price and http://www.music123.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-482912-i1413609.Music123 but if you can try to go for the 75 watt i think that one has looping functions but im not sure
I use a line 6 what of it?
It depends on your style. I usually would look for signed artists to get a feel for the brand's genre. Like if you want something that's TRUE METAL, go with BC Rich. If you want "metal" (imitation metal, metalcore, nu-metal), then go with Schecter. Fenders and such are more for like... Well, they're single coil pickups, so more like solo guitar and boring crap. Jackson is another good metal brand.

Note, I'm not suggesting these just based on artists, but also pickup usage and defaulting, body style, and overall quality.

I however, go with BC Rich and Jackson.
Cheap Schecter + Solid state amp ( He dont need a ****ing tube so dont start whit that )

For amp ill suggest a Line 6 Flextone, Vox valvetronix, or a roland cube.

Idd suggest the Flextone because its versatyle as **** and get you awsome metal tones
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
So do you guys think I would be better off with this Jackson or one of these Schecters? I don't really want to spend more than $600 between the guitar and amp (although I am willing to go a little over that if necessary) and I obviously want the best quality I can get for my money.
If you buy the cheapest guitar in the market it will perform so badly that you will soon get bored and will abandon music. Go and get an intermediate model from a well known brand, for metal you might start with Ibanez but for someone who never played electric before I would recommend Squier Standard (not Affinity!!) Strat or better a Fender Standard Strat.
For amps you should not buy a high power device... just go for some 15 or 30 watt Fender, Roland or Marshall for metal (still Marshall is more expensive).
Good luck.
Quote by dynamo0
If you buy the cheapest guitar in the market it will perform so badly that you will soon get bored and will abandon music. Go and get an intermediate model from a well known brand, for metal you might start with Ibanez but for someone who never played electric before I would recommend Squier Standard (not Affinity!!) Strat or better a Fender Standard Strat.
For amps you should not buy a high power device... just go for some 15 or 30 watt Fender, Roland or Marshall for metal (still Marshall is more expensive).
Good luck.

How much would you say an intermediate model costs?
Between $400 - $699 would be my guess, seven hunnie and up and you're getting into better than medium, less than three and it's usually starter quality shite. Exceptions can be made.

Want my epiphone?

Seriously haha I'm selling an Epipohone, it has a bridge humbucker, good for metal.

I would suggest looking at used Ibanez', you can get a really nice RG470 for $$400 or $500 is you really look, and provided it doesn't have a shite trem, it will be great for metal.

Here is a pretty nice beginner guitar

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784

The Ibanez S series are pretty good for the money too, this one is a bit more expensive. '

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S470DXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519933

I played one of these at my local music store and I was very impressed with the quality for it's price.

By the way, what's your budget?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 27, 2009,
plz plz just dont get a line 6,marshall MG, or a guitar with a tremolo youll regret it forever.
I use a line 6 what of it?
For Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox Valvetronix VT30 or AD30VT-XL
Roland Cube 30

I'd go for the bold ones though.

For Guitars:
Check out ESP, Schechter, Epiphone and Ibanez, they have decent cheaper models.

Hope this helps.
are you willing to go used?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
pawn shops.
sometimes the people that work in them don't know that they have gems that they're practically giving away.

i saw a MIM strat for 100 in mint condition once. sadly i didn't have the money to buy it.
another example, an Ibanez RG570 with Original Edge Trem in mint condition for 275. again too broke to buy it
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
One thing not to forget to buy is a guitar tuner and a decent bag to carry your guitar in if you are looking at playing with your mates and carrying it around with you.

Another quick tip is take someone who can play the guitar with you to test out the one you want to buy. That way they can tell you if it is suitable and plays well. When I bought my first guitar ( a cheap strat copy) I had no idea what I was buying. After a few months practice I realised I needed a better guitar and upgraded. The new guitar was much easier to play and I progressed alot faster after that.

Good Luck !!

Dont get a starter pack, thats what i did and i got screwed over. Get a cheap Epiphone or Squier ( DONT GET AN IBANEZ, they rnt even real guitars). Then get a halfway good amp like a valveking or maybe a spider.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by Muffin Murderer
plz plz just dont get a line 6,marshall MG, or a guitar with a tremolo youll regret it forever.

*looks at sig* /irony

also, im playing on a starter guitar i got 4 years ago with a trem and i dont regret it, im glad i got it. and im playing a line 6 too and its a good amp for a beginer (how the hell do u spell that?)
Peavey vypyr for the amp, anything with a humbucker bridge pickup that doesnt have a cheap LFR or edge 3 bridge will be fine for a guitar. Don't let chumps on here tell you that all fenders suck for metal because they can and do work fine for metal.
get a squire strat which are pretty cheap, and a small amp, maybe peavey, about 15 watts. Get that amp if you just want to practice bedroom level. However, if u want a good amp for playing in a band, get a peavey vypyr, the 75 watt model being the best for its price. It has a lot of effects and will help you get to know what you want over time.
id recomend in the lines of a humbucker bridged guitar or a double humbucker. and for the amo ill suggest a peavey viper series i have one ad it works very great. and if u are willing to go used im sellin a heavey metal soundin guitar cheap so yeah
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Quote by Legendary Z
Ok from what everyone has told me so far I'm thinking of getting this guitar and this amp. Sound reasonable?

That would suit you perfectly for starting. Would last a really long time too
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Ibanez GRG170DX for the guitar. Great starter guitar and it is an ibanez so it plays metal pretty well.

Peavey Vypyr 15w/30w. You will probably need the 30w to be heard over a drummer.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by gucio93
That would suit you perfectly for starting. Would last a really long time too

Thank you... I can't believe it took that long for someone to actually respond to that post lol.
For a metal band a Jackson Look those up they are pretty intense
amp cannot go wrong with a marshall
Well since I figured out what I'm getting I guess this thread can be closed now. Thanks to everyone who helped me out by responding.
Quote by Legendary Z
I'm 19 years old and have recently decided to purchase a guitar and learn how to play.

Good to hear.

Same story here (well, I'm actually only 18...). I recently decided to learn to play guitar, and I'm in the process of purchasing a guitar.

Now I don't feel like it was too late for me to start.

Learning pricing is easy. Just look at the MSRP of the instrument/amp (usually available in a company catalog/website), also look at Ebay prices, and Craigslist. You'll generally start to see a pattern in pricing.

As far as what to buy, well, that is up to you.

My advice: go to your local guitar store (be sure to check the oddball music stores too) and try out several different types of guitars. You can usually narrow it down quick.

Although price is generally a factor, that shouldn't be the focus of your search (I tried out a $1,000 Strat, knowing darn well I would never buy it).

Also, try out the guitars on a "basic" amp. A really great amp may make a piece of garbage guitar sound great.

Another thing about amps; start by playing the guitar without the amp. If it sounds good without it, it will sound great with it.

When you do turn on the amp, make sure it's set to a "clean" setting. Overdrive can cover up some of a cheap guitar's "defects".

I wouldn't buy a guitar on the first visit. Shop around a little, and ask some questions here if you need to.

And if you do decide to buy one from a guitar/music store, don't be afraid to barter. Maybe a little discount, some extra strings, whatever. But be polite about it

Well, this became more like an essay than a post, but I hope it helps.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Legendary Z
How much would you say an intermediate model costs?

Well I am not sure about US but in Europe it is around 300 - 500 € to get a good one. I would say:

- Ibanez RG series (there is a wide collection and different prices, I wouldn't recommend any with a floyd rose bridge for a beginner as it is very annoying if you don't how to put strings and to fine-tune the guitar).

- Fender Standard Stratocaster or Telecaster (made in Mexico). The new '09 upgraded models are really good. If you like heavy music, you have the HSS Stratocaster.

- Squier Standard models. They are cheap but good and you also have the "vintage modified" series which are great.

- Epiphone. If you don't mind to have a "chinese-handcrafted" guitar, there are several nice models which are licensed copies of the real Gibson models.

Still, my advice is: go to the store and try different guitars. Don't let "eye candy" to catch you, a guitar has to fit your hands and chest, it has to feel solid but soft, fretboard has to be easy to go up and down, you have to be able to bend strings easily, strings should not buzz too much and there must not be dead notes at all.

So don't buy from the internet, even if there are good prices. Try a real instrument before buying.