Quote by tsixe_sneila
it says it has transtube technology what does this mean?

It means it's solid state.

Trans is a Latin noun or prefix, meaning "across", "beyond" or "on the opposite side". The reference is that solid state electronics were invented long after the vacuum tube, therefore "beyond tube"

But they're just trying to make it sound like a tube amp because tube amps sound better.
Last edited by imicius at Jan 26, 2009,
For an SS amp, they're pretty good.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
For an SS amp, they're pretty good.

This is true, my friend played through one for a while and they were pretty good, especially for solid state amps.
yea im just looking to get a tube amp becuase i was told that it would not be worth it if i got emg pickups and played through a solid state
Quote by tsixe_sneila
yea im just looking to get a tube amp becuase i was told that it would not be worth it if i got emg pickups and played through a solid state

Definitely not. It will sound terrible. What's your budget?
Then unless you're willing to get an Epiphone VJ or similar (which can't get much past classic rock) or look used, you got nothing.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
All of this is for new amps, for used, you should check eBay and your local craigslist; you can often find awesome deals there.

As you can see, there aren't that many choices for tube amps under $200. The $200-$300 bracket is not much better, listing only two amps, both discontinued. You're probably looking at $300+ for a tube amp.

For the $300-$500 range, there's a B-52 if you're into metal, the 112 VK, an amp which I greatly dislike, a Fender Blues Junior if you're into clean/jazzy/bluesy stuff, and two Blackheart combos, the Handsome Devil and Little Giant.
Last edited by imicius at Jan 26, 2009,
First one's hybrid. The second two are decent, but can't do metal if that's what you want (and since you have EMGs, I'm assuming that you do).
Quote by Cathbard
ZakkWyldeFan79 has an Explorer with EMG's (81/85, I think). He uses it with a solid state Vypyr and he says there are no problems. The Vypyr is a transtube amp with modeling in the preamp. I asked about the clipping a long while ago.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by tsixe_sneila

I have played through this amp, and really liked it for what it is. What it is is a hybrid amp; an amp with a tube preamp and a solid-state power amp.

The single preamp does not give it the tonal characteristics of a tube amp, but it's a really nice amp for the price, a terrific practice amp, and I like the way it sounds despite its hybridness. That said, EMGs will probably not sound very good through this amp.

The other two are tube, but probably not worth the money; you could easily look used or buy a solid-state practice amp now and save for a tube amp.
well i already have a solid state that ive been playing since i started and at this point im just looking to upgrade to get the most out of the emgs
Quote by tsixe_sneila
hmm the b-52 is nice as hell but its so much. im thinking about this one http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8-5W-1x8-Tube-Combo-Amp-481661-i1383113.gc

and yes shadow i play metal so i definently need an amp capable of it

Are you gigging? Do you currently have EMGs in your guitar, or is this a in-the-future kinda thing?

A 5w tube amp will get over a soft drummer, and you can easily mic at venues, but if your drummer is a gorilla, it will be a stretch for practices.
Look, Solid State=/= bad. Tube =/= Good. EMG's and Blackouts/Livewires sound FINE with solid state amps. Dispelling a bunch of myths here.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
im just practicing right now but will be gigging in the future. the emgs are an in the future thing. im buying an ibanez rg350mdx or 420eg and want to get a tube amp with it.

and the drummer will be beasting it of course definently playing double bass
Quote by oneblackened
Look, Solid State=/= bad. Tube =/= Good. EMG's and Blackouts/Livewires sound FINE with solid state amps. Dispelling a bunch of myths here.

You're right. They don't instantly sound terrible on your amp, because pickups aren't normally a make/break factor. But they will sound different on a SS then a tube. For example, the difference between all of my grit pedals (MXR M-108, DS-1, TS9, MXR M-133) was HUGE. The M-133, a boost pedal, for example, went from adding more distortion (my SS) to an almost clean boost (my tube amp). My argument is that the $100-$200 OP will spend on pickups could easily go tword a nicer amp, whether SS or tube.

Quote by tsixe_sneila
im just practicing right now but will be gigging in the future. the emgs are an in the future thing. im buying an ibanez rg350mdx or 420eg and want to get a tube amp with it.

and the drummer will be beasting it of course definently playing double bass

If you delay buying the EMGs, you open more amp options up.
thanks for all your help imicius i think i will buy the guitar and play it on my solid state for now and save up for a nice tube amp and one day hopefully buy the emg's

thanks to everyone who posted feel free to keep it coming
Quote by tsixe_sneila
thanks for all your help imicius i think i will buy the guitar and play it on my solid state for now and save up for a nice tube amp and one day hopefully buy the emg's

thanks to everyone who posted feel free to keep it coming

As far as tone goes, amp>guitar. A new guitar will improve your sound somewhat, but a nice amp will GREATLY improve tone.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by imicius
It means it's solid state.

Trans is a Latin noun or prefix, meaning "across", "beyond" or "on the opposite side". The reference is that solid state electronics were invented long after the vacuum tube, therefore "beyond tube"

But they're just trying to make it sound like a tube amp because tube amps sound better.

Actually it means they are using Transistors to mimic a Tube circuit. Hence the TransTube "logo", which is a combination of schematic drawings of a tube and a transistor.

It's really pretty good for a solid state design.

My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah