will having great technical ability as a guitarist get you anywhere in today's music

as a session musician, TBH the only time in recent memory when great technical skill got you anywhere was a very brief period in the 80s, good songwriting is far more important unless you just want to be a session musician.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
No
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
No, but playing music the people want to listen to will. Just have creative riffs, good transitions, and half-way sensible structure and you may get somewhere. Oh, and don't do what AC/DC did and write the same damn song for 10 years.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

ability doesn't matter, Pop sensibilities do, you need to write music people will like to gain fame, if it includes flaunting and talent, good for you, if not, good for you
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by flyingjew34
No, but playing music the people want to listen to will. Just have creative riffs, good transitions, and half-way sensible structure and you may get somewhere. Oh, and don't do what AC/DC did and write the same damn song for 10 years.

actually it's been about 30 years.

Last.fm
Technical ability is nothing. You need to be creative and able to actually write good music, not just play a bajillion notes per second.
kill all humans
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
actually it's been about 30 years.

After about 5, it all just blends together anyway
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Goddamnit, why won't you die already.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Nope,

Music has always and will always be about feeling...

This is not to say that technical playing lacks feeling, but you can be as fast and knowledgeable as you want, if you don't feel the music, neither will anyone else.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by Xiaoxi
Goddamnit, why won't you die already.

Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Lets just say the worse you are at your instrument, the better off your band will be.
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
Not really. Ditch the guitar and get a synth if you want to get anywhere.

.aaaahhhh just messing. Creativity over technical ability every time. No one likes guitar wank.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by Metal_Hed_23
Lets just say the worse you are at your instrument, the better off your band will be.

that's total bullshit. The reason you don't see a lot of technical wankery in the mainstream is because most people have no interest in listening to it.

Last.fm
It does if you play metal.....
Quote by KaMiKaZi90
"Mr. Owl? How many strokes does it take to make my little man explode?"
"Lets find out! One! Two! Three!"
*Crunch*
""