So I'm finally going to get a new acoustic, having been playing my ****ty 250 USD yamaha for quite a few years, the sound of it has been bothering me for a while. But I love the body shape of it. I went to the store and played a few different shaped acoustics, most of them taylors, and they didnt feel right under my arm. Are there advantages to a non traditional dreadnought shape? Am i losing anything by sticking with it, or would a new shape open up the potential sound for the guitar?
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
It depends on what you are going to be playing. Most guitars can play most things well but depending on your own body shape you may have differing opinions on what shape is best. I like smaller guitars but I play mostly fingerstyle pieces. I'm also 5'8'' so a dread feels a little large for me but with proper positioning I can make any guitar feel comfortable. I can play 17" jumbos to parlor guitars and not have a problem. Dreads are great for strumming Bluegrass tunes but they can also do well with fignerstyle pieces depending on which dread you go for.
The only real disadvantage of a dreadnought guitar is if it is uncomfortable for you. Other than comfort, the dreadnought is the most versatile body for a guitar.

That being said, other body style are more focused on certain playing styles. For instance, if you play primarily fingerstyle guitar, an 00 or 000 body guitar is pretty much tailored to that style of playing.
What jim said.

I love dreads. since I'm 6'1 and weigh about 195 lbs, a big guitar is very comfortable for me. In fact, smaller sized guitars (NEX, Grand Auditorium) are actually very UNcomfortable because of how small they are.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray

No, not yet. But I plan on getting a ukelele as a reward for myself when I get a job and my first paycheck

I mean, if Iz can do it, so can I!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i prefer a cutaway. like they said it depends on your style. i just dont find a dread comfortable. the only way to make this decision is to go to a gc or local store and play whats comfortable. good luck with your search
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
I don't find a dread comfortable at all but maybe that's because I'm only around 5"4 hehe. I find dreads best for strumming. They have this boomy bassy tone. I heard this cheap lam top dread and it sounded very good albeit soft. I can't imagine what a high end dread sounds like.

I like the looks of cutaways but I read they take away some of the tone of the guitar or something like that. I have a NEX Takamine that are apparently famous for being bright and thin but it's comfortable for me to use and it has good eye-candy .
Well, I'm average height, right about 6 foot, and while dreads aren't uncomfortable, 000 size guitars just feel more natural to me. They aren't as boxy.

Also, lots of dreads are way too bassy for my taste.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I'm about 5 foot 8 myself(decent height for an asian, I'd say) and I find them a little uncomfortable when standing up, but not unbearable. I usually play sitting down and find it really comfortable. I can pretty much just hug my guitar and pluck away at it.

Note: I'll come back and finish my reply. A class is invading the computer lab.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
alright, so its mostly the feel of it? I very very rarely do fingerstyle guitar playing, I just play it in place of my electric if the song doesnt have overly distorted parts, I like the sound of an acoustic over an electric any day. The two shapes i was looking at were the dreadnought and the cutout, both were taylors, As this is all my local shop has for higher end guitars for the most part, They have one Martin, and i tried it and the sound was all muddled and I hated it.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

Wait....umm....

You can have a dreadnaught with a cutaway, or a full bodied dread. Neither one is really going to have much of a difference in tone or feel.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
alright, well sounds like i'll be getting a dread then, i'll try a few with a cutout and without, if i cant tell the difference in sound i'll get the cutout.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

What model of Taylor are you looking at?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
no idea, i was just picking up all of the ones that looked good in the acoustic room, wasn't really looking at the tags or the models.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

Ah, ok.

I'm hoping price is no object for you, just in case it turns out to be crazy-expensive.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Ok, well im back home now, but i've completely forgotten what i wanted to say because my accounting 100 course is very confusing.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Natrone
Ah, ok.

I'm hoping price is no object for you, just in case it turns out to be crazy-expensive.

my shop doesnt really have crazy expensive guitars, I'm like 90% sure i didnt play anything worth over 2 grand, I'm trying to stay around 1500, wont be buying for a while still saving up, getting a side job in a month, I might do one of the payment plans with 0% intrest if i can still get one with the ****ing recession.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Quote by Meths

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.