Hi I just had a question regarding choosing the right tab, as usually there is about 20 versions of the song that i want. Normally i go for the one with the most downloads, but I was wondering with all the different versions, IE ver1, ver2 etc, are they by different people, or are they generally just updates of the previous version?

Any other tips on how to select/find the most accurate tab would be great, thanks.
RG's & Mesa's
i usually go with the one with the best rating, with a few exceptions
say you have version one, rated by three people 5 stars. then you have version six, with 38 ratings, and 4 stars. i'm gonna go with version six
each version is by a different person, generally.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Ignore anything with 3 stars or less. look at all the rest. some will be the same chords in a different key others will be the same notes but played up the neck on a different string. Most 4=5 star tabs will be very much the same once you have allowed for this after all they are different versions of the same song. where they agree they are usually correct where they disagree is the tricky bit of the song usually. Try all the versions to see what sounds right to you. You will learn much more about the song this way. Tabs are rarely 100%.

Remember to open the comments as a lot of useful corrections are here.

Finally once you have learned the song go back and rate it so the next person is helped by your ratingthe way the people before helped you with theirs
Sorry I should also have pointed out powertabs and guitar pro which are excellent because you can listen to the tab and slow it down whilst you are learning. Tux guitar is freware which will play these
i go by rating / number of people who rated ie: 4star (40 people) is better than 5 star(10 people) but checkem both out. and it depends on what you like - chord progression vs full tab. Some times a sh!tty tab will have lyrics so look through those too if you want to know the words
I look at all the tabs and kinda skim through them with my guitar to see which ones sound best. Most of the time I end up kinda taking something form one and something from another one and so on and so on to get the whole song down the way I think it should be played.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I look at all the tabs and kinda skim through them with my guitar to see which ones sound best. Most of the time I end up kinda taking something form one and something from another one and so on and so on to get the whole song down the way I think it should be played.