I'm looking into buying some new strings and i was wondering what gauge i should go with. I currently have medium gauge but was thinking about getting heavier. I play a of of thrash and death metal, like slayer, metallica, megadeth, lamb of god, arch enemy, etc.
If you switch to a higher gauge theres a good chance you'll need to set up your guitar again, especially if you have a floating trem like a FR. It'd be nice to know the exact gauge, "medium" is sort of vague.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i have a tune-o-matic bridge so nothing fancy. the gauge i have are i think .10-.46
Then you could probably go to 11s with no issues, though the nut might not be cut wide enough.
make sure you or a professional checks the guitars intonation and bend in the neck once you put the new strings in. But like kevin said you should be fine just going to 11s but checking would not be a bad idea.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
11's have a heavier sound and are much more full. But if you're not used to such a thickness, be prepared for A LOT of pain. 8 to 9, and 9 to 10 weren't too bad, but going from 10 gauge to 11 is actually a pretty big step up.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
11's have a heavier sound and are much more full. But if you're not used to such a thickness, be prepared for A LOT of pain. 8 to 9, and 9 to 10 weren't too bad, but going from 10 gauge to 11 is actually a pretty big step up.

I disagree, I thought 9 to 10s was worse. Considering he probably has an LP style guitar 11s aren't really that heavy, comparable to 10s on a strat I'd say.
Yep, go to 11's definitely, especially if you like downtuning. If the lowest you go is C#, I recommend Elixir 10-52's, I have never played better strings in my life (in the process of trying out a pack of Ernie Ball Titanium's, bought them off Ebay yesterday) but Elixirs pretty much pwn for tone and durability.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by guitar-godfrey
lol sorry to hijack but if i want to go to drop b (7 string tuning) what gauge should i get?

standard 7string tuning isnt drop b, its actually B-E-A-D-G-b-e. drop b would be B-F#-B-E-G#-c#-f#
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I use GHS Boomers .11-.53 They are amazing for any genre especially Heavy Metal, Thrash, and Death Metal. Basically for any metal you want.
Quote by macfreak1
I use GHS Boomers .11-.53 They are amazing for any genre especially Heavy Metal, Thrash, and Death Metal. Basically for any metal you want.

This, or something similar,

I use ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom 10 - 52