Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a multi f/x unit.

Here are the parameters.

-It can be easily used to record into my PC.

-It has a wealth of good effects.

-It can be had for $150-300 used.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Quote by dviv17
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a multi f/x unit.

Here are the parameters.

-It can be easily used to record into my PC.

-It has a wealth of good effects.

-It can be had for $150-300 used.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

You should look at the Line 6 POD.
Quote by imicius
You should look at the Line 6 POD.

I have, but I was looking for people who have used or own such things that could maybe give me some more detailed advice.
Pod'S are badass.

there is nothing more to say. It will do everything you need.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu
Pod'S are badass.

there is nothing more to say. It will do everything you need.

I was looking at either a POD X3 or a POD XT because they're both around $200 used on eBay. Do the live version of the XT and X3 have the same "desktop" abilities that the non-live versions have.

I'm speaking in terms of being able to plug into the computer and record in.
Quote by Harrydoodle

I see it has MIDI in/out but I don't really know my way at all with MIDI. I was thinking more in terms of USB connectivity.
oh Ill keep looking sorry dude Im at guitarcenter all the time next time I'm there ill keep a look out for you
Quote by dviv17
I was looking at either a POD X3 or a POD XT because they're both around $200 used on eBay. Do the live version of the XT and X3 have the same "desktop" abilities that the non-live versions have.

Yes they both have the same interface.

Ask any question i have a pod x3 :P

Btw Do you only play at home/recording ?

Because you could get a pod studio...

FACEBOOK
Quote by dviv17

A good friend of mine has a POD X3 and it has USB capability, but you need some kind of software for it; L6 does not include their recording software with the PODs.

My only experience with multi-fx personally is a little Zoom G2. It was OK, but I would probably not buy one again.
Quote by imicius
A good friend of mine has a POD X3 and it has USB capability, but you need some kind of software for it; L6 does not include their recording software with the PODs.

My only experience with multi-fx personally is a little Zoom G2. It was OK, but I would probably not buy one again.

Well any recording program do the job. I suggest cubase or audacity.

BUT dont forget that you can edit your tones straight on you computer whit a Gearbox

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu
Yes they both have the same interface.

Ask any question i have a pod x3 :P

Btw Do you only play at home/recording ?

Because you could get a pod studio...

I have the TonePort, and don't really care for it's only purpose to be with the computer. I would like something that can stand-alone w/ my amp, but also be used to record into my computer.
Quote by dviv17
I have the TonePort, and don't really care for it's only purpose to be with the computer. I would like something that can stand-alone w/ my amp, but also be used to record into my computer.

Pod x3 live or Pod xt Live.

FACEBOOK
Quote by dviv17
So the Live's can connect via USB?

Yes and once you have the POD all the downloads are free from line6.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Yes and once you have the POD all the downloads are free from line6.

Thank you. How do you like your XT live? Was it worth the purchase?
Quote by dviv17
Thank you. How do you like your XT live? Was it worth the purchase?

unless footswitchability is a MUST, then i'd take the x3 over the XTL. they both have USB, but the X3's have usb 2.0, as well as dual tone, and pod farm compatability, and all the model packs installed
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
unless footswitchability is a MUST, then i'd take the x3 over the XTL. they both have USB, but the X3's have usb 2.0, as well as dual tone, and pod farm compatability, and all the model packs installed

Yes, that's what I've been looking at. XTL vs. X3. They both go for around the same price so it really just depends on which one I want more. The X3 seems more user-friendly and desktop-oriented, but I do like the pedal-board type look of the XTL.
Quote by life_777
Korg AX3000G is good, I think it's like $199..

That's interesting. I don't think it has computer capability though.
Personally I find Line 6 gear to be far too digital so I'd look at something by Digitech as the computer interface is fantastic for both editing effects/amp models and recording. The GNX3000 is fantastic and should be a steal second hand as mine was only £169 brand new when they were on run-out. The RP range should also be cheap.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Personally I find Line 6 gear to be far too digital so I'd look at something by Digitech as the computer interface is fantastic for both editing effects/amp models and recording. The GNX3000 is fantastic and should be a steal second hand as mine was only £169 brand new when they were on run-out. The RP range should also be cheap.

Thank you, I'll definitely look into that line.
Boss ME-30. You can find one for $90 if your lucky. They are great pedals, with great effects. They are easy to set up and easy to get a good sound out of. Only flaws are that it has a small sweep range, for wah, volume, and tremelo.
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
Boss ME-30. You can find one for $90 if your lucky. They are great pedals, with great effects. They are easy to set up and easy to get a good sound out of. Only flaws are that it has a small sweep range, for wah, volume, and tremelo.

I'm looking for something with direct connectivity to my computer.
I have a Digitech RP250, it's really nice. USB connect into the computer good for recording and downloading presets from the community at the digitech website and other stuff too. It has some great features you should check it out. The tones aren't bad at all except for some of the distortions but they are still alright. You can download a program from Digitech's site called X-Edit and you can customize your presets on the computer or as i mentioned earlier download some off the internet. Overall it is a really great product and i bought mine new for $149.99
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
Pretty sure you can connect it from line out into your computer, but not sure.

you can do that for ANY processor. this guy was talking about USB/MIDI connectivity
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by chad120
I have a Digitech RP250, it's really nice. USB connect into the computer good for recording and downloading presets from the community at the digitech website and other stuff too. It has some great features you should check it out. The tones aren't bad at all except for some of the distortions but they are still alright. You can download a program from Digitech's site called X-Edit and you can customize your presets on the computer or as i mentioned earlier download some off the internet. Overall it is a really great product and i bought mine new for $149.99

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion/insight.
I'm a fan of the GNX series and have a GNX4. They are especially good if you want an onboard recorder/looper. I also have an X3 Live. Both units will record thru USB. The Pod XT and X3 are both good for that. I'd recommend the GNX4, XT, or X3. I recently sold a GNX3000 on CL for $150. It would fit your needs as well.

Even though I've never tried the RP350/250, they do have the newer AudioDNA2 chip in them and I don't see why they wouldn't sound good. Plus they have USB connectivity.
Quote by fly135
I'm a fan of the GNX series and have a GNX4. They are especially good if you want an onboard recorder/looper. I also have an X3 Live. Both units will record thru USB. The Pod XT and X3 are both good for that. I'd recommend the GNX4, XT, or X3. I recently sold a GNX3000 on CL for $150. It would fit your needs as well.

Even though I've never tried the RP350/250, they do have the newer AudioDNA2 chip in them and I don't see why they wouldn't sound good. Plus they have USB connectivity.

Thanks for the help. Which do you like best overall out of the X3 Live or GNX4?
The GNX4 takes more work to tweak because the cabinet modeling is complex and affects the tone a lot. I would pick the X3 given a choice of ease of tweaking tone only. But the benefits of an 8 track recorder/looper/mp3 backing track player and drum machine on the GNX4 could easily give it the nod if those features are important to you. Plus the GNX4 is cheaper. Although I got a great deal on both. I paid $225 for each of them, and my GNX4 came with a 2GB Compact Flash upgrade as well.

I should add that the X3 would probably have higher resale value.
Last edited by fly135 at Jan 28, 2009,
The GNX4 is insanely amazing if you have the supermodels disc and actually spend a little time learning how to use it. You can get some total GNX4 packages off Ebay that include gigbag and supermodels for probably a bit over 300. Cabinet modeling and effects aside, to me the looper, recorder and drum machine alone were worth the price I paid.
GNX4 closing in 5 minutes on eBay. Now at $227.50.

Wow! Closed at $306.99.
Last edited by fly135 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by fly135
GNX4 closing in 5 minutes on eBay. Now at $227.50.

Wow! Closed at $306.99.

Yeah, I was watching that. I can either get a POD X3 for like $250 to $300, a GNX4 for $250-300+, or a POD XT Live for $200-250. Hmmm...