What are things I could do to a poly finished guitar to help make it express bumps and hits more than it usually would?
I know I can't get an exactly nitro-aged finish on my guitar, but are there little things I could do, like maybe dull the finish, and stuff, so that it'll be more aged than an average poly finished guitar?
Start smoking. And blow your smoke directly at the guitar after every puff.

Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Don't be careful with it, sweat like a bastard while you play, and smoke all over it. Hot boxing guitars ages them wonderfully...

Go play bars and dirty places haha...

In all honesty, just play it and in fifteen or twenty years it will be a relic.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^Well yeah.
But I'm saying, when you bump a poly finished guitar, it doesn't really show wood, just another layer of poly.
Is there any way I can make it so when I do happen to bump it, it shows bare wood?
All these jokes about smoking....are actually true. Pickguards, frets, bridges, etc turn yellow after only about 2 years of sitting in a room with a smoker. The finish over my maple neck has gone yellow, giving the maple underneath a very aged look.

EDIT ; I set my Ibanez on fire, that exposed the wood and the melting lacquer probably got me high. Make sure the fire is controlled though and no where near electronics lol.
Last edited by Micehorns at Jan 26, 2009,
You could be like all the retarded 13 year olds on hear and take mommy's lighter and daddy's tools and fuck the guitar beyond playability.

Ya know, 'cause it looks cool.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Micehorns
All these jokes about smoking....are actually true. Pickguards, frets, bridges, etc turn yellow after only about 2 years of sitting in a room with a smoker. The finish over my maple neck has gone yellow, giving the maple underneath a very aged look.

EDIT ; I set my Ibanez on fire, that exposed the wood and the melting lacquer probably got me high. Make sure the fire is controlled though and no where near electronics lol.

I wasn't joking!
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Øttər
You could be like all the retarded 13 year olds on hear and take mommy's lighter and daddy's tools and fuck the guitar beyond playability.

Ya know, 'cause it looks cool.

I don't wanna do that though.
I wanna play it so I get the wear and stuff, but I want it to look like nitro wear.
I just don't know how to get that with poly.
Poly doesn't wear like that.
Which is why I ask if theres a way to make it so bumps turn out like nitro on the poly finish.
Maybe sanding it down a little or something.
I don't support relic-ing in any way shape or form, but if you double-face-tape some 200-400 grit sandpaper to the heel of your right hand and your right forearm while you're playing, you can get some nice SRV-esque wear much quicker than he did.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...