Alright, still haven't decided.

What's a good SSS configuration for an American Strat?

I need Eric Johnson type tones, general blues, classic rock, Hendrix, stuff like that... I'm playing through a Traynor YCV50 Blue, if that affects anyone's suggestions. I've looked at a number of DiMarzio pups, but I haven't been able to draw a conclusion yet.

I use mainly my neck pickup, so emphasis on the quality of the neck pick up.

Er... oh yeah, the bridge can be a single coil, or a single coil sized humbucker... and if I can be arsed, I may consider routing it for an actual humbucker. We'll see. I would rather stick with a SC, though.

So, yeah... fire away.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Jan 26, 2009,
My favorite sss combo is

bridge pup - Dimarzio HS-3
middle pup - Dimarzio HS-2
neck pup - Dimarzio YJM
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
My favorite sss combo is

bridge pup - Dimarzio HS-3
middle pup - Dimarzio HS-2
neck pup - Dimarzio YJM

Alright, cool.

I was definitely considering the HS-2, but for the neck? I dunno, I heard EJ wired it some way... I dunno.

I went to Ed's Music today in town, and Don, who I definitely trust seeing as he's quite an experienced luthier, suggested I get Fender Hot Noiseless? Now, I hear different opinions about them. I told him I was actually looking at DiMarzio, and he seconded that choice.

So they're definitely gonna be DM. How's the hum cancellation on these? They're not too noisy, are they?
Those are all malmsteen signature pickups, at least the YJM is,
He uses the HS-2&3,
IDk if theyre sigs though
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
Those are all malmsteen signature pickups, at least the YJM is,
He uses the HS-2&3,
IDk if theyre sigs though

Oh, well I don't think the HS-2 and HS-3 are his signature pick ups.

But I didn't know he used that. In that exact configuration?
I didn't want to bump this but it's kind of urgent I get more opinions.

I think I'm going to go with JLT's suggestion, since it incorporates two of the pickups I wanted, and I'm sure the HS-3 is going to be swell as well.

I'm writing the configuration down and my dad is going into work tomorrow, so I'm going to get him to drop off the Strat (hopefully) at L&M and have him place the order. Frig, now I'll be without a guitar for a few days.

Alright, well, I hope all goes well. I'm certain I'll be satisfied with this purchase.
Trade in for a eric johnson signature strat. Beautiful guitars (especially the new ones for 09) and the pups are wired to his specs and I dont think you can buy them seperate from the guitar.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I did some research for ya and found EJ has a pickup done by DiMarzio and I think its called the DP211 Eric Johnson Signature Custom Pickup. So search around for that or go to the DiMarzio site and it shows some other pups he uses. Give it a look-see!
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Trade in for a eric johnson signature strat. Beautiful guitars (especially the new ones for 09) and the pups are wired to his specs and I dont think you can buy them seperate from the guitar.

I would... in... a... heartbeat.

But I really doubt I could do that... they probably wouldn't even give me that much for my Strat.

As much as I would like to, I don't think I can get $1700 or whatever it costs.

I was planning on just getting my Strat possibly rewired so the neck and bridge can operate together.

Damn, now you've got me GAS'ing for an EJ sig.

EDIT: I looked on their site and I looked under EJ and I know for sure he uses the HS-2, but he also uses the Elemental? Would he use that on his ES's? Or his Strats?

As far as I see on this site, there's no signature EJ pup.

EDIT: Holy cow they exist! But they appear to be humbuckers. :| How much do you think the bridge one would be? CDN bucks. I don't expect you to know, though.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Jan 27, 2009,
no clue, try musicians friend or ebay just to get a price. Or ask your local store, Im sure they'd have that info for you.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Well, due to the insane amount of snow, I won't be getting them put in just yet, so I have a bit more time to decide.

That EJ pickup would be sweet in the bridge. I'm seriously considering it. I'll call L&M tonight myself and see how much they'd charge.

Thanks for your help, Moose.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
EDIT: I looked on their site and I looked under EJ and I know for sure he uses the HS-2, but he also uses the Elemental? Would he use that on his ES's? Or his Strats?

As far as I see on this site, there's no signature EJ pup.

EDIT: Holy cow they exist! But they appear to be humbuckers. :| How much do you think the bridge one would be? CDN bucks. I don't expect you to know, though.

EJ humbucker is a nice pickup, but if you're after his tone you should still stick to single coils.
Elemental is an acoustic pickup.
Quote by Rock Pig
EJ humbucker is a nice pickup, but if you're after his tone you should still stick to single coils.
Elemental is an acoustic pickup.

Oh, alright.

Yeah, I might just stick with the original HS-3, HS-2 and YJM.

Not really a high gain player anyways.