So I have been playing for about a year now.

And I cant bring myself to learn a full song. I ono if it is a.d.d or what.

But it's a huge bummer. =/

Help?
Just listen to it a whole bunch of times untill your motivated to learn it. I personally never learn songs unless they are taught to me cause I don't have a PC in my studio/sound room.
That's common. Simple answer - Just do it.

Learn Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. The parts in that song are really cool.
Si
Quote by warwaker

Help?

I've been playing for 7 years and I can't play a single cover song.
There's no secret to it, sit down and learn the song. Pick a simple one to start off on to get your confidence up.
hey don't feel bad, i can't learn full songs either. but most of the time i have a guitar in my hand i either doodle or write music.

i haven't learnt a full song in over a year and a half.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

As already said, you don't necessarily HAVE to learn whole songs.
But it's cool if you can play a whole song that somebody wants to hear and not just like one riff from it, because that's lame.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
That's not unusual. I was the same way for a long time. I only learned the parts that I thought were cool on guitar.

The rest can get boring if you're not playing along with other people or at least singing along.

The important thing is that you're able to learn a whole song if you need to.

Even now, I'd rather just learn the basic structure of a song and play it how I want - instead of learning songs note for note.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by warwaker

Help?

I TOTALLY know what you mean. I've been learning for about 9 months and can play all sorts of little bits but can't play a whole song throughout. I don't know why I can't focus my attention on learning one thing at a time but I keep moving on to another riff. When I tell people I'm learning guitar and they say 'play something for me', I just look like a tard, haha.

It's well frustrating!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Solution: go get a copy of guitar pro (or similar, I use tux guitar), get a tab for an easy-ish song (safely within your capabilities to start with), play along with it. My first song was A Question of Heaven, by Iced Earth. Took me about half an hour of runthroughs at varying speed (building speed up, of course- hardly as if it's needed for a song that simple).

*puts up flameshield* Almost like guitar hero in some ways, apart from that it's actually useful...
There is nothing that says you have to learn any full songs unless of course you plan on playing in a covers band. When I was younger I knew a handful of Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera etc songs all the way through but its been years since I learned any all the way through. However, every day I am always working out parts of songs that I like to assist my ear. I think its best to learn what you will use ie. if there is a certain aspect of someones lead or rhythm style that you particularly like focus on getting it down PERFECT. Same phrasing, timing etc. That way it is something you can use, and making sure you get it down exact helps you gain a sense of your own phrasing by learning to treat different notes or passages in different ways instead of playing everything the same if that makes any sense.
Andy
Look up some backing tracks to songs you really like and learn those. Maybe that will motivate you to learn an entire song.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -