Page 1 of 57
Well captivate and I talked, and we think it would be nice to have a chat thread for the good ol' Acoustic & Classical forum. This forum has a pretty good community feel to it, and we thought you all might like a place to shoot the breeze with each other.

Keep the conversation mature and civilized! This isn't the Pit, and it isn't a place to come spam a bunch of nonsense. This thread is just intended to nurture the community feel of our beloved forum here.
I'll start this thing off...

So you will notice that captivate and I made some small changes at the top of the forum. First, obviously, we added this thread. But we also created a master information thread and linked some of the other really helpful threads there. We both like to try to keep the clutter down at the top of the forum, meaning we don't like 37 sticky threads

What do you guys think? Do you like it better this way with the links all in one thread? Or do you like it better the way it was where each individual thread is stickied?
And.... GO! I think this would probably be the first "Chat" thread in any of the Instruments section forums. This probably wouldn't work in any other forum, so lets not abuse this privilege(I guess you could call it)

Anyway, how's life y'all?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Smooth guys.

Well, I like it. Thanks for posting the FAQ by the way! In a sense, my little idea became a reality!

And....yeah....I really hope a bunch of Pit Monkeys don't come in and invade, causing this little thing to get closed. That would be sad
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Hey guys email me notascam@seriously.net I will do free set-ups on your guitar if you send it to me!!!

Aye, 'tis a good idea this thread. So I was going through my Youtube Favourites and watched Edgar Cruz's Dream On again, I am reinvigorated to go back to his Queen Arrangements DVD and continue Bohemian (have spent the last 6-7 months mostly with the electric since I got it and working more on playing+singing stuff with the acoustic). I just watched his Bohemian performance again and my face melted. It's funny how important repetition is as I had the entire thing memorized roughly a year ago and now I can barely recall the first 30 seconds or so, hehe.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
I guess I'm kind of lucky in that I've been able to balance out my acoustic and electric playing. I haven't really had time to learn anything new except for some little stuff for my youth band, so I just pick up what I feel like playing.

So, I got some mild frostbite in both of my pinkies tonight. Story?

Oh, and jim, I'm just curious, did you give your new strat a proper NGD on the electric forum?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 26, 2009,
How'd you get frostbite? It's been a consistent -20 degrees C here and I still haven't gotten frostbite.
Equipment:

Quote by Natrone
So, I got some mild frostbite in both of my pinkies tonight. Story?

Oh, and jim, I'm just curious, did you give your new strat a proper NGD on the electric forum?

NGD? I'm not sure what that is... New Guitar Declaration?

And how in the world did you get frostbite in both of your pinkies? Do you actually mean frostbite? That's serious!
Yeah I had some polar bears goin' through my garbage today, you in Kansas, Siberia?

NGD = New Guitar Day?
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
eh, I probably won't do the NGD thing in the electric forum. I pretty well stay around these parts I did post a thread in there when I was making my purchase decision, but that's about it.
Yeah, NGD=New Guitar Day. I'd go ahead and do it. The electric junkies will drool. Kind of gives you reassurance that you didn't just waste a crapload of money.

Ok, well here's what happened.

First of all, it wasn't severe "holy crap, amputation time!" frostbite. It was "holy crap, I can't feel my fingers!" frostbite. Mild, but still frostbite.

Anyway, there has been freezing rain here in good ol' Kansas pretty much all day, so when I got back from my bowling meet (yes, I'm on my high school's bowling team ) I had to scrape all of the ice off of my car. Well, the wind chill was at about 5F, and all I had on was jeans, Chucks, and a hoodie. You see, I didn't expect it to be this cold today. I spent about 10 minutes working my car (we're talking 1/4" thick ice on my windshield and drivers door window, and I looked over and saw some of the girls having problems. Well, being the gentleman I am (no, seriously!) I went over with my mega scraper and helped them out. Another 10 minutes of scraping off a Chrystler Crossfire, and I was back in the warmth of my own car. It was at this time that I realized I couldn't feel my pinkies. I sat on my hands, and I could only feel 3 fingers. So, I held my pinkies in my mouth to thaw them for about 10 minutes. The pain of defrosting your fingers is really quite excruciating, like someone is holding a lighter to your finger.

Even now, about 3 1/2 hours later, my pinkies are all tingly and numb from the top joint-up.

I know, I'm stupid.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
All of that blood trying to rush through those cold constricted veins... Sounds like fun. Did you get their numbers? Oh, and I like the new layout of the forum, Good job guys.
Nah. I'm a sophomore and they're all upper-classmen. I was just doing it out of kindness.

And yeah........I really never want anything to do with frostbite ever again.....that stuff HURTS!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^
I don't know about you, but I always overlook the announcement. I remember one time I was trying to find the FAQ and I looked high and low for it, not realising it was the annoucement that my eyes kept skipping over.

I like the idea of the master thread

Natrone: at least you get snow and stuff! It's not fair, we had about 1 inch of snow this year. And even then i was ill so i just stayed indoors.

so what's everyone playing atm? I've just had a strange desire to try out that car song from the Audi advert by Woody Guthrie. I just want to do the brrrrr brrrr noises to be honest xD
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Jan 27, 2009,
My left index finger is just about raw after learning Banana Pancakes today
Yeah, I know what you mean dude! Jack Johnson stuff is brutal on your hands. In the end though, I can feel my hands getting stronger when I play them, so it's all worth it I guess.

OddOneOut: Umm....yeah....it wasn't really snow. It was freezing rain, which really sucks, because instead of making everything white and wintery, it makes everything slippery, cold, and annoying. And you usually don't get school days for freezing rain.

Right now I'm just playing a bunch of worship songs for my church band. I'm a bit crunched for time to really learn anything except for on the weekends. Anyone have a recommendation for me? (Remember, I'm not all that talented!)
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Confusius
How about making the FAQ announcement part of the master thread and sticking that up as an announcement instead?

I actually do have a link to the FAQ announcement in the master thread, but as somebody else said... announcement's are always overlooked. Sticky threads are MUCH more effective than announcements.
Quote by OddOneOut
^
I don't know about you, but I always overlook the announcement. I remember one time I was trying to find the FAQ and I looked high and low for it, not realising it was the annoucement that my eyes kept skipping over.

I like the idea of the master thread

Natrone: at least you get snow and stuff! It's not fair, we had about 1 inch of snow this year. And even then i was ill so i just stayed indoors.

so what's everyone playing atm? I've just had a strange desire to try out that car song from the Audi advert by Woody Guthrie. I just want to do the brrrrr brrrr noises to be honest xD

Just be glad you didn't get -20C for 2 weeks. Walking through that to get to school isn't fun. Even if the building is less than 100 metres away. My face was like fully frozen.

As for songs... I haven't learned anything in the longest time. I kinda gave on The First Ride by Don Ross. Can't play it up to speed so I'm thinking of trying another few songs and then coming back. I'm thinking of trying For My Father by Andy McKee.
Equipment:

If you need help with your accounting class, I will give it a shot, cap. I was an accounting major for a few semesters before I switched to finance.

From another thread:
Quote by Natrone
Really? Which ones?

Takamine EG530SSC
Takamine G340SC
Takamine EG523SC12
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500P

The Epi is already sold though. It sold in like 2 hours. Maybe I should've asked for more
Lol how much did you sell it for?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
haha, thanks jim. Right now it's just really tedious work more than anything.

The "normal balances" thing where an increase in assets is a debit and a decrease in assets is a credit confuses me a little. It takes me like 20 seconds of staring at the question before I understand what to do/how to classify it. I guess I just need more practice with it.
Equipment:

Ahhh....ahhh....ahhh.....AHHHHH!!!!!!

*head explodes*

Whaaaaaaaa?!?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by captivate
The "normal balances" thing...

That's basically something you just have to learn/memorize. I say "learn/memorize" because you don't really have to straight memorize it. When you develop a basic understanding of how accounting works, you will understand why certain accounts have a credit or debit normal balance, and at that point it's more like you have learned it than you have memorized it.

I'm sure this is in your book, but the typical account normal balances are:

asset - debit
liability - credit
owner's equity - credit
expense - debit
revenue - credit

Now these are accounts for privately held companies. Publicly held companies have the same accounts, but owner's equity is stockholder's equity and they also have gains/losses accounts which are essentially revenues/expenses. These all have the same normal balance as their private company counterparts.

Not sure if you have gotten into contra accounts yet, but contra accounts have the opposite normal balance of the relative account. So a contra asset account has a credit normal balance.
Oh God... accounts. I had to take it as an 'optional' subject for 3 years. I dropped it the first chance I could.
-20?!

I'll stick with our measly 5C thanks haha.

Ughhh accounting. I'm doing Accounting for A-level, we're just doing managemenet accounting at the moment. Budgets and stuff like that. I actually understand this module, it's so easy compared to the trading and profit and loss accounts for sole traders, or published accounts for coporations. And depreciation....*shudders*
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
-20?!

I'll stick with our measly 5C thanks haha.

Ughhh accounting. I'm doing Accounting for A-level, we're just doing managemenet accounting at the moment. Budgets and stuff like that. I actually understand this module, it's so easy compared to the trading and profit and loss accounts for sole traders, or published accounts for coporations. And depreciation....*shudders*

5C? That's beach weather!

I'm in Macroecon right now. Soooooo boring. GDP this, CPI that.

"Either you're employed or you're unemployed or you're looking for a job or you're not."
Uhhh... lol. Yeah...
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
5C? That's beach weather!

I'm in Macroecon right now. Soooooo boring. GDP this, CPI that.

"Either you're employed or you're unemployed or you're looking for a job or you're not."
Uhhh... lol. Yeah...

If it has the word 'eco' in, I don' like it :p Eco friendly, economics, eco...somethingorother...

it was actually nice and sunny yesterday and on monday, it was lovely.
Quote by Renka

Just woke up. Gonna sit around and play some guitar while I wait to go to work.
My new electric just came in the mail! It's a 1998 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with an LSR roller nut, locking tuners, and Lindy Fralin '69 Woodstock single coils.

So I'll see y'all in a few days
Quote by Silverstein14
UPDATE 2/DOUBLE POST: Where's your global warming now, Al Gore?!

That guy is an idiot. You know what really sucked though? My World Studies class had to watch An Inconvenient Truth.

As I sit here with my pathetic little Squier.......I almost hate you jim.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray