Page 1 of 2
Whenever you tap, ding, scrape, or harm your bass on accident, what is your normal reaction?

Mine is usually VERY dramatic, I go get the lemon oil, return to my bass, get on my knees and scream at the top of my lungs "God, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME???"
Hell, sometimes i shed a tear.
'Bout you o_O?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Well, the reaction depends on the severity of the damage. I was quite shockedwhen I popped D string while tuning once time
Hi.
Since my ultimate plan is to cover all of the painted portion of my bass in stickers? Doesn't bother me too much...
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
when i ding my les paul it dosent bother me. a long time form now it will tell a story and feel comfortable. i love the look of long shallow surface scratches in the finish it makes it feel like its mine.
It depends on how hard of a "ding" it is. I tend not to worry too much though. Those "mystery dings" are ones that bother me.
swear a bit, get angry, check the damage, and resume playing.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
I totally CLOMMED the headstock on the corner of my wall. I hit it really hard, and it slightly dented it. Once you break the seal, you stop caring. I've gigged with it repeatedly and that's the only damage on it, really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I sigh, look at the size of the ding, and depending on the size, I'll either ignore it and keep going, or get mad and feel like I ruined my bass.
Well, what I summed up from these responses, you are all made of money. Give me some plz.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Yeah I don't care about my bass, as long as it still plays fine, any dings are just character.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
It depends on how bad it is. When it got shot with a paintball gun, I flipped out for like five minutes while I cleaned it and made sure it didn't have a short. When it hit the window, I bitched and moaned about stepping on the glass and didn't care about my bass. When it got stabbed the first time, I only cared if it would affect the tone.
I think I only freak out when it affects the playability.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
When it got stabbed the first time

the first time?

I hit my first bass on the ceiling,sloping ceiling because roof slopes there, i kinda freaked because of a small chip on the headstock. after that it wasn't so bad. I mean, come on. I used to literally throw my trombone to the sideline in marching band lol.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i usually notice 3-4 weeks later and soon as i do i try to remember what i did if by chance i do happen to remember i automatically blame my brother because i will never admit to damaging an instrument
Keep On Keepen' On
Instruments aren't going to be perfect forever. If it gets scratched or "dinged" then it gets scratched. I honestly don't care. My Schecter Gryphon is a perfect example. There is a small chunk missing from a corner on the headstock. My new VM Fretless Jazz does not have any wear and tear because I have only had her for a month. I named her Sarah by the way

Things get hurt, broken, ruined, dinged. Live and let live.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Usually, if its on the body, I freak out on the inside, but don't really say anything out loud. I think about it for a while after it happens though. I don't care too much.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Depends. I'm not too upset about my Squier or my SX, but my acoustic was a gift from a good friend and mentor and I really don't want to damage it.
Nope, no sig here.
Usually I don't care.

Looks are just that, looks.
Actually sometimes, once a bass becomes old, I think dings and scratches only add to the appeal.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I look, stroke it, then keep playing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
well, since my aerodyne is used, i laugh and say good times, shrug and play on, i dont really care 'bout cosmetics (ps. dont say the lords name in vein > .... )
Try adding more delay.
My ESP I don't really care about, since the chances of me selling that are about slim to none, I love that bass.
The other basses that I play, the MB and the Ibanez SRX aren't mine, so I tend to treat them a bit better than my ESP, but I still just think: "****"
The only time i've gotten pissed off about a ding or a scratch is when i my bass lightly hit a music stand and out came a chip.
Only time I get annoyed about a "ding" in my bass... is when it wasn't me.

I did this Bass workshop for school and one of the year 7's was being a dick. and he knocked it on a table, I noticed it afterwards, and I nearly went back and hit him.

I don't care about that one now.

Because I lifted my Bass Case and only one latch was on, and that came loose. and smashed it against the tile floor.

I can see the Alder body through the paint and varnish. I think its pretty cool.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
I have managed not to hurt my babies to badly. However the first guitar I own has a scratch on the headstock. I got REALLY sad when that happened, I like my gear as perfect as possible, so I take extra care when handling. If I have to put one of my guitars down, it's right back to the music stand, not leaning against something where it could fall.
I think the most pissed I've ever been was when my family's '79 Peavey T-60 fell foreword from its stand, and the tip of the headstock hit the bridge my brother's GSR200. If the guitar had been 1/8" farther away, it would have been fine, but as it was, it ended up with a nice chunk out of the headstock.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
After the first ding I stop caring. Battle scars add character.

Mm-hmm
it depends how nice the guitar looks and how bad it is.

but it's only ever a variation on a =< facial expression
Natural finish, dings go un-noticed. =/
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I don't care much if I ding the headstock or neck of my basses but man when I scratch or ding the body I gasp and attack it with a polish cloth.

Especially my Geddy. I feel so bad when I ding it, which I've done twice already I think its near impossible to ding the body of my Sterling.
At this point--each ding has a story. The AccuBass is over 17 years old now and I'm shocked it doesn't have MORE dings that it has. Its part of life and its history, Its got a major dent from the strap pin coming loose during a workshop and it taking a header to the floor.

The Ibanez has its share of dings mainly from me swinging it around in the studio and forgetting the size of the instrument I am holding or from a faulty gig case that had a zipper that liked to open up at inopportune times (the gig bag has since been replaced).

The Stingray has a few here and there (very minor) from again, me dinging either the headstock or body because of playing in small studios and banging against a nearby object.
this is a funny topic.. I usually am about to let out a loud "F*CK" but usually just chill it out, haha
Quote by Deliriumbassist
After the first ding I stop caring. Battle scars add character.

This

The only time I'd really mind if it was on the neck, hard.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Well, when i got my jazz 24 i took it to BP were my drummer wacked the headstock of his snare, and there was alot of "you ****in wackstain" "make me a sandwhich etc. But otherwise as long as it still works i have no porblem with it, unless its not me who dings it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
When My jazz bass was brand new i'd be pissed when I dinged it, but after the first ding it's not that big of a deal. Plus it's so hard to ding thick polyurethane painted Mexican Fenders. This is my jazz bass after one and half years of normal play wear.

Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
I've got a noticable chip in my headstock from well me and my frontman's guitars hit each other mid song.

90% of the chips and stuff happen live so I have no time for grief, just keep playing.

And for the record, my bass did more damage to his guitar

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9