Yo
heres the thing.
I sing and play rhythm guitar in my band, i like older metal, sabbath, judas priest and iron maiden and the like.
my lead guitarist, is too stubborn to play anything that isn't metal. the more we progress, the more he wants to go into power metal and **** i can't stand. and wont sing

my drummer likes the same stuff as me, but has too many other commitments to ever practice.

my bassist.. well.. doesn't play bass, he's just desperate to be in a band, so he bought a 400 dollar bass guitar and 400 dollar amp just to play bass, but he wont learn our songs and just plays whatever he wants.

i don't want to be in this band any more, but they're all too close friends to quit. what should i do.
do what i did just slowly stop practicing until eventually the idea just drifts from everyone's head and if someone asks you about it just be like "it doesn't really matter anymore does it we all sucked anyways"
Quote by speedy1330
do what i did just slowly stop practicing until eventually the idea just drifts from everyone's head and if someone asks you about it just be like "it doesn't really matter anymore does it we all sucked anyways"

+1 that aint band, thats a group of dudes in a garage who think they're cool and will get chicks cause they say they're in a band

but when you dont play any shows, dont write songs... aww theres goes your high school fame. Dont start making t shirts yet bro. Dump the other three and find people you can actually work with... and prolly learn how to lead a band in the process
almost same problem here... but my problem is just with the drummer, he don't want to go to the practices, he don't want to take his drum kit to other places ( he's the only one that has a drum kit), and he's getting into compromises the days that we gotta practice so he doesn't go to the rehearsals(and we have a gig..kinda important..in may ) should i kick him out?

you should talk with your bandmates, guitarist:get to a deal, play some of his music and some of yours, or something that both like.
drummer: pressure him so he can get more responsibilities in the band
bassist: is he rich?!?! he doesn't know how to play bass and he got a 400 dllr bass and amp? if he doesn't know how to play bass...help him learn, say to him that he need some bass classes, if the band matters for him he'll accept
Quote by k.i.k.e.
almost same problem here... but my problem is just with the drummer, he don't want to go to the practices, he don't want to take his drum kit to other places ( he's the only one that has a drum kit), and he's getting into compromises the days that we gotta practice so he doesn't go to the rehearsals(and we have a gig..kinda important..in may ) should i kick him out?

Our drummer has his drums in a fairly small room so we have to rent out a studio for a few hours. Only about £7 per hour, and they supply the drums/amps. Maybe you should find a place near you that you can rent out. If the drummer is still reluctant to practice then yes. Kick him out so hard that he won't be able to sit down for a month.

To the OP.

Tell them that you are going to take a break from being in the band for a while. It's a gentle way to say it and won't hurt their feelings. By the sounds of it, they aren't that dedicated to being in a band, and are just in one so they can say that they are in a band. Eventually their band will fall apart and you can chill for a while, practice a little and get better at your instrument to kill some time, then after a few months, advertise yourself and get into a new one.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Just let it wind down really. It sounds like its gonna happen anyway (heck, sounds like its starting to already) so y'know. When it does finally go, just keep it amicable between the lot of you.

Search around for another band in the meantime. One thats gonna work.
You have to remember though that being in a band involves lots of compromises. You may have to play song sthat you don't like. That's life though.

db
Quote by NightEmbers
+1 that aint band, thats a group of dudes in a garage who think they're cool and will get chicks cause they say they're in a band

but when you dont play any shows, dont write songs... aww theres goes your high school fame. Dont start making t shirts yet bro. Dump the other three and find people you can actually work with... and prolly learn how to lead a band in the process

^this.

It's absolutely true. I know it may sound a bit insulting to the thread starter who's just been told that his band ain't a 'real band' but once he finds likeminded guys who simply wanna get on with being in a band and being musical and bouncing off each others tastes and influences, then he'll look back at this and know exactly what NightEmbers means.
So really, the best thing is to look for other musicians.
Now, you could look for other musicians while still jamming with these guys, which some would say is a bit sneaky, or you can leave the band, be up front and honest with the guys and go and find your future.

OK so the guys may not be happy about it, but neither are you at the moment.
All you need to say is 'Look guys, this band isn't really working for me at the moment and it's making me feel unhappy, so I think it's probably for the best if I leave and have a good think about what I really wanna do rather than mess you lot around.'
If they're your mates, they'll understand, if they don't understand, fu*k 'em, they ain't your mates anyhow.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 2, 2009,