I mean sure they are fun to mess around with but I can't seem to find a good practical use for delay.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I use mine on pretty much ever lead I play. Just a little bit of delay adds a lot of character to your lead tone.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I have mine in my effects loop and its on all the time....I have it set so that there is only one echo and it is immdiatley after the notes so it doesn't linger.....adds alot of body to everything
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
I use reverb all the time, do you use short delay settings then for your leads?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

I use a moderate amount of slap delay to thicken up my sound, similar to what Mick Mars does with his rig in Motley Crue. Also add in a bit of reverb for that added slight punch.

Also, a lot of Paul Gilbert's sound has a bit of delay in it, as well as most Kirk solos [Kirk also abuses his Wah in the solos]
I use it all the time....I wish I had a reverb....but I dont have alot of money...and when I did I was saving up for my amp which is a Mesa 2 channel Triple Rect. ....but the short delay really makes the leads sound so kick ass....as for rhythm stuff it just adds a little body to things....it isnt very prominent.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
so by slap delay i assume you mean short delay settings without a lot of repeats or decay
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
I use reverb all the time, do you use short delay settings then for your leads?

I use about this much delay, starts at 45 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5rQqpbtL5k

Pretty much one of the best lead tones in existence.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Great for getting ridiculously crazy sounding or using for somethin as subtle as a little reverbishness.
Shoot, someone beat me to the Eric Johnson vid.

I find delays to be absolutely necessary, they're so useful and can really liven up your sound (especially analog delays).
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Nothing is necessary or practical, nor does it need to be. Whatever floats your boat is what I say.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
1. Listen to U2 and tell me if you still see a delay pedal useless practically.

Quote by Khoifish321

Also that. Speaking of EJ, how the hell does he get that kind of delay? I love the sound of it, I'd love to replicate that delay tone on my DD-3. Any setting recommendations?

But yeah, Kevin Saale's right; it's not needed, it's just fun and if you can incorporate it into your technique, awesome. If not, oh well, you'll live.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Don't have a delay pedal but Minus The Bear is my reason for wanting one.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Necrophagist777
I use mine on pretty much ever lead I play. Just a little bit of delay adds a lot of character to your lead tone.

Me too. I use delay so much I'm considering looking heavily in the boutique market. I want the best I can find.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Dude, I have two delay pedals, both of which counteract each other for different uses. I have delay on most of the time when I use cleans. They are unbeatable for creating ambience and making your sound bigger, as well as contributing a different character to the sound. I suggest you listen to some bands that use delay, and see where and how it is effectively used. The songs on my profile are a perfect example. Then, go and try one yourself, because they are very useful.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Matsols
That got to be the WORST lead tone I've heard in a long time.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Matsols

yeah, that sounded terrible to me.
i like to use delay to thicken up solos and add a little bit of atmosphere to cleaner stuff
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Necrophagist777

yep, it really makes your leads stand out and give it that little extra
Ragge!! Boi!!!
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Matsols

it's not supposed to be a "lead tone"... he's using very quick reverse reverb (or possibly volume swells) into a delay pedal to emulate multiple violins.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
it's not supposed to be a "lead tone"... he's using very quick reverse reverb (or possibly volume swells) into a delay pedal to emulate multiple violins.

No, it is actually just bad.

At least the Malmsteen clip is a good example.
How bout this? If you think this sucks then I obviously have a different idea of good tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38t9akRJQ54

But I agree that was a little over the top and probably not the best example. But I still really like that sound.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Rocknroller309
I have mine in my effects loop and its on all the time....I have it set so that there is only one echo and it is immdiatley after the notes so it doesn't linger.....adds alot of body to everything

My thoughts exactly. Or if you have a Carbon Copy, you can do really cool stuff with chords using a long delay and the mod switch
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
Quote by Necrophagist777
How bout this? If you think this sucks then I obviously have a different idea of good tone.

But I agree that was a little over the top and probably not the best example. But I still really like that sound.

It doesn't sound as bad on a band setting, it's just that with only one other guitarist playing it sounds like there's too much gain (imo).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I hear they make nice coasters.

Aside from a musical use.

Edit: sorry OP I think I killed your thread
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
Last edited by goshinbi at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Necrophagist777

it sounds like a boss metal zone to me, and i can't stand the sound of those pedals. to each his own. if it's metal solo tone we're discussing, i like petrucci. i just find that with that much gain, you lose all your dynamics. my fave solo tone right now is mike einziger's on "sick sad little world." to keep on topic, there is delay in there
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.