So I posted a topic here a couple weeks back asking about recording basics, and whatnot.

Now that (hopefully) I'll be upgrading some equipment soon, I was wondering if I should sell the mixer I have or keep it? Currently, the setup goes something like Shure PG57 > Berhinger Eurorack 802 > Motherboard HD audio > Audacity.

I'm looking into replacing the mic and mixer with a Shure SM57 and a PreSonus Inspire audio interface, and most likely some better software. I was planning to sell the mic and mixer, cause I'm told the mixer is basically pointless in a digital studio, and I doubt I'd be using my PG57 much if I had an SM57.

The way I'm trying to record is to lay guitar and bass tracks over a software-created drum track. I'm not sure if the SM57 is any good for vocals, but I'm not overly worried about that at this point. So any help = thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by qwertyuiop8642
get an sm57 and sm58

why 58.... 58's are pretty much only good for live use.

If you do anything more than bass or electric guitar you'll need a LDC mic but you should be fine.
yea.. theres even less point in a mixer since its plugged into the internal soundcard of your computer.. (which i can only assume like most onboard sound.. is probably less than passable)

it also depends if you're just doing one track a time kind of recording or if you need to record anywhere from 4-16 instruments to seperate tracks (like fully miking a drum kit).

take a look at the presonus line for gear that is aimed towards all sizes of audio 'studios'

as far as your PG58 goes. i have the same one, its not even that bad of a mic and its not too likely you'd get much for it anyway. it might be good to keep around as a backup or in a fix, a secondary mic.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Eh, i'm not too keen on sm57s for vocals. I think i'd have to recommend a condenser. And I'm actually looking into getting a nady condenser, simply becasue it is so cheap, and is reviewed as a great value. Of course, you can do better, but I think condenser is best for Vocals and Soft instruments like acoustic.
Personally if I were in your situation i'd want to keep the mixer, something like that can really come it handy for extra inputs etc.

But it really does depend on your financial situation, it may not be worth it for you to keep it. If I were in your shoes I would most likely keep it though because you can be fairly sure you'll need it at some point in coming years, so if you couldn't get much for it anyway it might be worth keeping.
Hmm. Well, basically the financial situation is, it depends on my tax return (still waiting on the W-2), and also, the budget isn't quite bottom of the barrel, but my main gear priority is selling my amp and buying a better tube amp (No more made in China stuff).

Also, pretty much upgrading as much gear as I can afford to for now, since I'm trying to transfer to a 4-year school next fall.

I'm basically trying to make decent sounding rough cuts, and if need be, I can probably have stuff mastered either cheaply, or free from people in the area (which leaves me money to tip in pizza and beer )

Other reasons I've considered selling the mixer and PG57, other than having more money to put towards new gear, is to save a bit of space if I'm not using it much or at all.

And another thing. It sounds like condenser mics are the way to go for vocals. What's a decent one that doesn't cost an arm and leg if I have enough leftover from the other gear purchases?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jan 27, 2009,
Ooo, thanks, I have options! haha

I'm pretty much set on selling the stuff, BUT..would the mixer be useful for any EQing? or can the audio interface/software do that?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Then it's settled The mixer and mic are going up for sale soon.

Btw, I have a couple more quick questions. I just realized that I probably will need a condenser mic. I'm not sure how much I plan to do with vocals, but from what I've gathered, they tend to work much better for recording acoustic guitar than a dynamic mic. That At4040 is a bit pricey for me, but I'm surprised how much cheaper the other mics you mentioned are. They're actually pretty good, huh?

And the last question I have (at least for now, anyway) is that have I made a good choice on an audio interface? Some others have mentioned stuff like the EMU 202 and the M-audio fastrack, but the EMU doesn't have phantom power, and I seem to hear better things about the Presonus Inspire overall (especially for stuff around the $100-$200 range). It's what I'm basically set on, but was curious for another opinion just in case.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jan 28, 2009,
They are all pretty much in the same boat, if your spending that much money (and there is nothing wrong with that) you'll get roughly the same sound quality (which is better than the behringer stuff)
I got the Line6 Toneport, and I think it is a well-made product. Specifically better than the M-Audio Fast Track, which I also dealt with, and did not like at all. The Line6 I think is the best option for the price.

I already mentioned it briefly, but as far as a condenser mic goes, the Nady condenser is well-reviewed and about as cheap as it gets, so I'm considering getting one myself. I have one of their Dynamics, very cheap, but very good sound and very good value. The Musiciansfriend.com reviews seem to be spot on on this brand.
Sell! The Inspire does what your motherboard audio and Behringer did, but better. A single SM57 will work just fine, but if you like the PG, stick with that and work on good mike placement.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I actually just sold it today, thanks for the advice everyone!

Actually, now I have another question, lol. From the look of things, I'll be getting an SM57 and a condenser mic fairly soon. I've heard mixed reviews on the MXL 990, some say it's great, others say it's junk. I was thinking about getting the Audio Technica at2020, is it better than a cheap Nady? (Not ruling that option out either). I've kind of considered the at4040, but I may have to settle with something a little cheaper due to other things I need to purchase. I'm willing to put $100, maybe $150 towards a condenser.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60