Page 1 of 10
Over here in the UK there's been a lot of anger over TV's publication of offensive material, particularly a phonecall made by Johnathan Ross and Russell Brand to the actor Andrew Sachs (look it up).

So Pit, what duty do you think the TV channels have to censor material for offensive material, swearing and the like? Do you think that actors/performers on TV should be BANNED from swearing and being deliberately offensive?
What's with all the threads asking us to discuss something without explicitly saying it's for an assignment today?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

who's to say what's offensive? are they going to make people stop wearing leather belts because it could offend animal rights activists? well then where is the line drawn and who will draw it
Call me Jack
Quote by SteveHouse
What's with all the threads asking us to discuss something without explicitly saying it's for an assignment today?

Seen as I'm at uni, this is kind of unlikely to be for an assignment.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Seen as I'm at uni, this is kind of unlikely to be for an assignment.

Fair enough.

It's all about context, man. An F bomb in one situation is completely different from another. I mean, one second you're talking about whether to close up shop early, the next, everyone is covered in fluorine and wondering what the hell happened.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Censorship is annoying. I can't stand listening to a bunch of beeps. I especially hate when they do it with South Park and shows like that, because obviously if we're watching it, we don't care about the swearing.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
Quote by srv_king
who's to say what's offensive? are they going to make people stop wearing leather belts because it could offend animal rights activists? well then where is the line drawn and who will draw it

I'm talking here about:

-swearing
- talking about sex/sexual themes
- pre-watershed violence.
Its retarded i mean the kids are just going to learn it somewhere else in my state you have to have a id saying your 17 to watch rated R movies because we all know there's a huge difference in profanity between a 13 yr old and a 17 yr old. This goes for T.V also kids that shouldn't listen to profanity probably watch Disney, cartoon network, and Nickelodeon those that don't probably already know what those words mean.
well swearing for swearings sake is unneeded, however if you need to express a feeling for a situation and no word accept for a cuss word can describe it then you should be allowed to use them, like most of the basic televison, except for family guy but family guy= win so they can do it
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Frankly, I'm sick of all the PC crap going on in England lately, let us swear and be generally offensive.
For instance, I'm not racist at all, but the things we're now not allowed to do in case we offend someone is too much such as Christmas, and I think it should be a requirement to be able to speak fluent English before you can move to this country.
As for swearing on TV, it's not hurting anyone REALLY. Go into any high street or town centre in Britain and you'll hear people swearing, it's just real life, and people need to realise that. The watershed is there for a reason, there's no need to stop swearing.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by SteveHouse
Fair enough.

It's all about context, man. An F bomb in one situation is completely different from another. I mean, one second you're talking about whether to close up shop early, the next, everyone is covered in fluorine and wondering what the hell happened.

Quote by Lewis Black

There's no such thing as bad language. I don't believe that anymore. These are the words that adults use to express rage, frustration, anger. So we don't pick up a tire iron and go beat the shit outta something.

Yep.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by dancesisidance
Frankly, I'm sick of all the PC crap going on in England lately, let us swear and be generally offensive.
For instance, I'm not racist at all, but the things we're now not allowed to do in case we offend someone is too much such as Christmas, and I think it should be a requirement to be able to speak fluent English before you can move to this country.
As for swearing on TV, it's not hurting anyone REALLY. Go into any high street or town centre in Britain and you'll hear people swearing, it's just real life, and people need to realise that. The watershed is there for a reason, there's no need to stop swearing.

Let's leave politics/PCness out of it shall we?

Seriously, I would rather listen to a well-educated person speaking Queen's English than foul-mouthed morons.

They should sack Johnathan Ross.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm talking here about:

- talking about sex/sexual themes

Everything's about sex now in American TV. Is it as bad over there as it is here? I mean, having sex in the plotline is one thing, but having sex in EVERY plotline is just annoying. You can't have a romantic TV relationship without fuckin' anymore.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Everything's about sex now in American TV. Is it as bad over there as it is here? I mean, having sex in the plotline is one thing, but having sex in EVERY plotline is just annoying. You can't have a romantic TV relationship without fuckin' anymore.

There's a difference between sex and relationships, which is something TV doesn't seem to understand. All I seem to see is people falling into bed with each other the moment they lay their hands on each other.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
There's a difference between sex and relationships, which is something TV doesn't seem to understand. All I seem to see is people falling into bed with each other the moment they lay their hands on each other.

Cause TV corporations are soulless bastards
Quote by Cianyx
Cause TV corporations are soulless bastards

Which is why I watch Genesis TV (a Christian channel)
I don't like censorship. If people don't like what they are watching they can easily turn the channel over.
Quote by maggot9779
I don't like censorship. If people don't like what they are watching they can easily turn the channel over.

In the UK it seems ALL the channels broadcast swearing.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
In the UK it seems ALL the channels broadcast swearing.

No they don't. Not "bad" swearing anyway. I've only ever heard someone say **** in the daytime a couple of times.

The worst i've heard regularly is someone saying bitch or arse or something stupid like that.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Which is why I watch Genesis TV (a Christian channel)

I thought you were an atheist now?

I looked up that channel and their schedule. I'll be honest with you, none of it sounds particularly interesting. Not even the Buttercream Gang.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by darthteet

I looked up that channel and their schedule. I'll be honest with you, none of it sounds particularly interesting. Not even the Buttercream Gang.

Being 'atheos' doesn't mean I can't watch religious programmes.
Quote by darthteet

What!?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I don't think anything on the television should be censored. It should be up to the networks whether they want to broadcast the material or not - and so long as they give explicit content warnings prior there's no problems. Programs can always choose not to broadcast swearing or anything deemed "offensive" but there really shouldn't be any mediation...Within reason.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Being 'atheos' doesn't mean I can't watch religious programmes.

But surely as an atheist listening to Pastor O.E. Jackson is even less interesting as it would be if you were a Christian.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
If we can see people being murdered on TV, there's no reason why people should be offended by a pair of tits or someone saying "fuck". I think a warning beforehand should be enough, so people know which shows to let their kids watch and which shows not to. If the makers of a TV show have put swearing or sex scenes in it, they've obviously decided kids and easily offended people aren't a part of their target audience.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by darthteet
But surely as an atheist listening to Pastor O.E. Jackson is even less interesting as it would be if you were a Christian.

True...

Plus, who knows, I might just turn back to my faith...
Quote by whalepudding
If we can see people being murdered on TV, there's no reason why people should be offended by a pair of tits or someone saying "fuck". I think a warning beforehand should be enough, so people know which shows to let their kids watch and which shows not to. If the makers of a TV show have put swearing or sex scenes in it, they've obviously decided kids and easily offended people aren't a part of their target audience.

There are warnings..
It's just the same people who ignore it are the same people who complain to TV stations...
Quote by Cianyx
There are warnings..
It's just the same people who ignore it are the same people who complain to TV stations...

And people who complain about something, after ignoring a warning that it is about to happen, and being given a small device with buttons on it that allows them to stop it from happening, should not be allowed to change anything. Censoring TV because of those stupid fucks would be like making hair dryers hand-powered because some dumb shits were too retarded to admit that it's their fault for using them in the shower, and not the appliance company's fault for making electric hair dryers.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jan 27, 2009,
Censoring I can deal with, but most of the time the censored ads are the funniest, most imaginative ones.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Censorship also ruins good stand-up comedy.

Go and watch the classic comedians- no swearing, and funnier.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Go and watch the classic comedians- no swearing, and funnier.

Yeah, like the Big Yin.

Wait.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain