So...I'm still pretty new to electric guitar, but I'm self-taught so I want to avoid starting any early bad habits.

After playing through Green Day's Jesus of Suburbia (9 minute song might be the problem) I noticed a severe pain in the arch between my thumb and index finger. Does this mean I'm holding the neck wrong, or do I just need to develop some kind of muscle there?
Are you stretching your finger to reach the chords if so it could be that your finger just needs to get used to stretching out.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Thumb behind neck...try not to press too hard, relax. Get a better guitar?
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Are you stretching your finger to reach the chords if so it could be that your finger just needs to get used to stretching out.
That may be it. Only the tip of my thumb is pressing on the back.
Quote by Tempoe
Thumb behind neck...try not to press too hard, relax. Get a better guitar?
Epiphone SG's are pretty thin-necked, so I know it isn't the guitars fault. Being a newb, a little relaxation in my playing would probably do me some good. ^^
Quote by Freohr7
That may be it. Only the tip of my thumb is pressing on the back.

Yeah thats my guess as to the problem give it a while and see if it goes away
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Getting a better guitar has nothing to do with it.

It'll be a while before you become accustomed to the shape, but it's more so a lack of, not necessarily relaxation, but the muscle development required in those necessary to play guitar - and thus hold the shape. And you're playing a nine minute song, which, even being a simple song, is a tremendous feat for a beginner.

So yes, it all comes down to muscle memory and development. Keep practicing, but stay as relaxed as possible, maintain a positive posture - by sitting/standing upright - and apply as little pressure downwards on the strings as possible - just enough to sound the note. Not only will this help with your power chords, but with ANYTHING you may attempt.

Guitar's supposed to be fun - and cramping and straining is definitely not!

Keep it up, and feel free to message me if you need advice on anything.

Alex
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by juckfush
Getting a better guitar has nothing to do with it.

It'll be a while before you become accustomed to the shape, but it's more so a lack of, not necessarily relaxation, but the muscle development required in those necessary to play guitar - and thus hold the shape. And you're playing a nine minute song, which, even being a simple song, is a tremendous feat for a beginner.

So yes, it all comes down to muscle memory and development. Keep practicing, but stay as relaxed as possible, maintain a positive posture - by sitting/standing upright - and apply as little pressure downwards on the strings as possible - just enough to sound the note. Not only will this help with your power chords, but with ANYTHING you may attempt.

Guitar's supposed to be fun - and cramping and straining is definitely not!

Keep it up, and feel free to message me if you need advice on anything.

Alex

Thanks for the advice. I'll admit, keeping a relaxed posture is probably something I haven't been aiming for.
It may also be how high you've got your thumb on the back of the neck. I find, particularly when I'm playing on lower strings (ie. power chords) that if my thumb is too high it hurts/cramps up so I try to keep my thumb towards the middle of the back of the neck, I can reach everything without effort/pain. Having said that, some people can hook their thumb over the top of the neck and don't seem to have any problems with it...
It's just a matter of getting more used to the shape so you aren't forcing it as much. Sometimes when I learn a new shape or something and it feels awkward, it press my thumb so damn hard it feels like im going togo right through the neck.