i heard that a solid body guitar has better sustain than one with a bolt on neck. is that true or not?

also are tere any other advantages to having one vs the other?
depends which bolt on guitar and which set neck you're pitting against each other.

bolt on- easy to swap necks if something were to go wrong
set - better upper fret access (usually)
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
you probably mean neck thru guitars.. in which the neck is one piece (or as many as 5 or more pieces) going thru the entire body.

lots of people have a lot of preferences as to what they like as far as bolt on, set neck and neck thru goes.. and each have their inherent pros and cons.. (set neck is like bolt on.. but glued instead)

it'll really come down to personal preference.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Solid body=not hollow
bolt-on neck=neck is screwed on

Do you mean set neck? In all honesty, they probably don't make enough of a difference to even physically hear, but bolt on necks do allow you to change necks easier if you break it or something. Plus it's easier to do work on the guitar.
there's a slight sustain difference between the two as well. not much, but some.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Actually, a well-done bolt on neck guitar will have better sustain than a set neck.

Seriously.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've got both and I don't really notice that much difference.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Depends. some bolt ons have better sustain. I prefer neck-thru for the easier upper fret access.
theres actually been test, and if you take a look at guitar worlds new issue matt bruck discusses about the differences about set neck, neck through and bolt on neck. He states that he has seen some bolt ons out do a neck through but some neck throughs out do some of the set necks and bolt on. Basicly he states that a sustain can not be judged simply by the neck but by the whole build of the guitar as a WHOLE. So to answer the topic its just personal preference.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
^ Very good point.

I prefer bolt-on just because if you completely destroy your neck, you just buy a new one, instead of freaking out like "OH NOES, MY GEETAR IS ROOINED!!!!!"
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
its really a matter of opinion, how long are you going to be holding a note for anyway that you are going to need an hour of sustain? bolt on necks are interchangable and easy to fix, i went from a lp to a strat and really the strat hangs in there for what i need it to do... bolt or solid its all good, just depends on the actual guitar itself for me
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
its really a matter of opinion, how long are you going to be holding a note for anyway that you are going to need an hour of sustain? bolt on necks are interchangable and easy to fix, i went from a lp to a strat and really the strat hangs in there for what i need it to do... bolt or solid its all good, just depends on the actual guitar itself for me

Good point, but sometimes you have to hold out a note for a long period of time and need good enough sustain to have a full sound instead of just a whisper of tone.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Good point, but sometimes you have to hold out a note for a long period of time and need good enough sustain to have a full sound instead of just a whisper of tone.

pups
It's been proven time and time again that a good, well-fitting bolt-on neck provides far more sustain than any setneck or neck-through build.

On the other hand though a poor bolt-on joint provides less sustain than anything else.

Then there's a few more trade-offs. Bolt-ons can be replaced easily and cheapily if damaged, whereas replacing or fixing a setneck can be expensive, and replacing a neck-through is near impossible and so expensive you would actually save money by just buying a whole new guitar. The trade off of this is bolt-on necks tend to have slightly worse upper fret access than a neck-through or setneck, though there are some bolt-on joints which get around this.

It is also arguable that just like sustain, a good bolt-on joint will increase responsiveness and help the dynamic reactions of the guitar. On the other hand a bad bolt-on might utterly kill that. This isn't something that can be so easily proved like sustain though so it's a bit of a wildcard.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.