My Takamine didn't come with a neck strap button so I want to install one mainly because it's uncomfortable for me to play with a strap tied to the neck. I'll be bringing it to a shop because I can't suck up my nerves Where's the best place for one? The guy at a shop said the neck (the part where it bends and joins to the body). What about the side of the neck (close to the side of the body)?
Yep. Neck heel. The part where the neck meets the body.

I know what you're talking about dude. I have the strap on my Tak tied off at the headstock with this quick-release clip made by Planet Waves, and it's extremely comfortable like that. But my Tak is a huge dread. I've played an NEX with the strap tied at the stock, and it was horribly uncomfortable, so I know exactly what you mean.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I don't know of any guitars that come with two strap buttons, just FYI.

But yes, that is the best place to put the second strap button. You don't want to put it in the side of the guitar, just because it's a bigger hassle. To put another strap button in the side of the guitar you have to put a block of wood inside the guitar to anchor the button. The walls of the guitar aren't thick enough to support a strap button alone. This is why they are typically either installed in the bottom or side of the neck block.
Ah okay. Thanks guys. I'm taking it to a shop today to get quotations on the prices.

It seems 2nd strap buttons are a recurring thing in lower priced guitars for some reason. I also know most Ibanez acoustics come with it.
Putting on a strap button is a 10 minute/$2 job. Maybe less.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
They like to charge a lot here. Umm in my currency about RM 10? Then the strap button is RM 5 for one that looks chrome plated. You guys have it good over there.
Ohh, you're in Malaysia? Well... Canadian dollar to RM should be about a 1:3, so the price isn't too bad.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yessir. The shop I bought it from even wanted to charge for changing the strings. I think they would have charged for setting it up too, which they didn't even do.

I can imagine they would whine about having to drill a hole (albeit a small one) into the neck and etc. etc. etc. to justify the price.
Yeah most places are going to charge you for installing a strap button, changing strings, or setting up your guitar. This is how these people make a living.

As for Ibanez acoustics coming with two strap buttons, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info! I do know that most acoustic guitars do not come with a second strap button.
Actually....quite a few of them come with two buttons. Usually they're acoustic/electrics though. Kind of like cutaways, they're a bit of an A/E thing
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Hell I guess I just never paid attention. I'm pretty sure none of the acoustic guitars I own came with two strap buttons, acoustic-electrics included. Maybe I just don't remember correctly.
So is it true that most guitarists play with the strap tied to the headstock? Famous ones too?
I don't think anybody can really say whether most play one way or another with any certainty. It seems to me that most of the ones I have seen have another strap button installed.... but I mean I haven't ever done a survey or anything
It really just comes down to preference. This is the way I see it (at least for myself)

Strap on a button on the neck: Looks cooler than tieing off at the head, but is rather uncomfortable and makes the guitar feel horrendously unbalanced.

Strap tied off: Yeah, you make the "old man guitar" look even more lame to electric junkies, but it is much more comfortable and makes the guitar feel perfectly balanced.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
See I actually think that it is more comfortable to have the strap hooked to two buttons than tied to the headstock. I don't ever have any problems with the guitar diving like this.
Lol well I've never had one that DIDN'T do a neck-dive on me when I strapped it to the button, and when the strap is tied to the stock, it moves the neck a little closer to me.

Now, of course, since I got a Strat I've been able to get over that reaching out a mile for the first fret annoyance, but still....
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray