I'm looking at a pretty sweet trade deal here but I'm a little skeptical that this guitar is actually legitimate. Trader claims that he owns a vintage 1984 Fender American Strat in black, and has given me a serial # of E3xxxxx. That matches up to what an '84 strat should have.

What's the typical value for one of these? And is there any method on checking the legitimacy of the guitar? Thanks.
Own:
Vox AD30vt Amp
Epiphone Les Paul BB
Some old korean-made classic acoustic...

And looking for an acoustic
Fender has some serial number chart on their site where you can see it. it often says something like:

Am Stratocaster. Serial #E3xxxxx-E35xxxx = 1984-1986.

You will understand if you find it :P
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Yeah I already looked at that and it matches up. However are there any other indications?
Own:
Vox AD30vt Amp
Epiphone Les Paul BB
Some old korean-made classic acoustic...

And looking for an acoustic
You could ask him to take of the neck and shoot a picture of the date for you but I don't know so much else that could be to help for you. Maybe some distinct looks from that era, like special shape of the neckplate or something like that. If you have the time, see what you can find otherwise you can always look for scratch marks etc

Sorry. Can't help anymore.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Jan 27, 2009,
What is the condition? If it's in excellent condition the Buyers Guide has them at a range of $900-1500, although I think given the weakness in the economy many guitars have been trading below the low end of the range.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Does it have a jack plate? The 1983-96 standards has 1 volume, 1 tone and the output jack on the pickguard, without that football jack-plate. There were a couple of other dead give-aways for the early 80's strats, but, I can't remember the them right now.

But, yeah, the date should be stamped in the neck pocket, as well as the seriel number in most cases. The body should be routed SSS, as well. That's about all I can think of on the 80's strats.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Don't quote me on this but if I remember correctly after the buyout in 1987? fender still had necks left over so some instruments from this period are dated 1984 while these necks were used. I'm not sure if this is correct and i'm sure there are real 1984 fenders too, hopefully somebody can shed more light on this.
Quote by no. 380059
Don't quote me on this but if I remember correctly after the buyout in 1987? fender still had necks left over so some instruments from this period are dated 1984 while these necks were used. I'm not sure if this is correct and i'm sure there are real 1984 fenders too, hopefully somebody can shed more light on this.

the big issue came in the 70's-80's transition, actually. There are always necks and bodies from the past popping onto newer fenders, but 78-82 is the hardest time to date a bass/guitar, since most of them sported S8 necks at that time. The 82-5 vs. 87 on debate is easily answered with the features of the guitar, though. An 87 MIA strat should have a two-point bridge, a football jackplate and 22 frets, where the 82-85 should have a 6 screw bridge, the jack on the pickgaurd and 21 frets.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.