Alright, I'm considering a new guitar, and as I have something with humbuckers and something with single-coils, I figure I can have a little product favouritism with the next one and buy another Fender since I prefer single-coil tones.

Anyway, just to keep some variation and not to get another strat, I've been looking at teles. I have two questions I think would be fairly simple to answer, but we'll see I guess;

1. Maple or rosewood? I'm looking more for a different feel than tone, so I'm leaning to maple, but I love having more tones, so if it really changes tone as much as people say, I suppose I'll take rosewood.
2. What tonal difference can I expect between a normal tele and a 72-style thinline? I love hollow and semihollowbodies, but I also want the classic old tele tone, I don't want to screw that up for a semihollow tele(unless I end up preferring the new sound).

Any help is much appreciated as usual UG.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Well for 1), it is going to effect the tone slightly, but not by a hugely noticable amount. It's not like the difference body and neck woods make. Really it's more like the difference between turning a tone knob from 8.5 to 10. You should just go with whichever feels best to play on.

As for 2) a Thinline can't do the same typical Telecaster tones. All the Tele tones come from things only a standard Tele has; high-output bridge pickup set on a metal baseplate at an angle onto the metal bridge plate. On a thinline you've got a humbucker mounted in the plastic pickguard and that's it. That alone takes out the famous 'Telecaster twang', completely changing the sound of the bridge pickup. In terms of the neck pickup and also the overall sound, it is going to be very different. You're taking about comparing a usually solid hard ash body vs a hollow alder body. The Thinline has more 'body' to it's sound, it will be thicker and won't have as much of a bright snap. It's kind of like comparing a Les Paul to a SG or in turn a SG to a Strat.

The standard Telecaster is... well you know what it is. The Thinline (and also the Deluxe) was made to compete with the growing popularity of the SG and Les Paul, and that's the tonal group it sits in.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Well for 1), it is going to effect the tone slightly, but not by a hugely noticable amount. It's not like the difference body and neck woods make. Really it's more like the difference between turning a tone knob from 8.5 to 10. You should just go with whichever feels best to play on.

As for 2) a Thinline can't do the same typical Telecaster tones. All the Tele tones come from things only a standard Tele has; high-output bridge pickup set on a metal baseplate at an angle onto the metal bridge plate. On a thinline you've got a humbucker mounted in the plastic pickguard and that's it. That alone takes out the famous 'Telecaster twang', completely changing the sound of the bridge pickup. In terms of the neck pickup and also the overall sound, it is going to be very different. You're taking about comparing a usually solid hard ash body vs a hollow alder body. The Thinline has more 'body' to it's sound, it will be thicker and won't have as much of a bright snap. It's kind of like comparing a Les Paul to a SG or in turn a SG to a Strat.

The standard Telecaster is... well you know what it is. The Thinline (and also the Deluxe) was made to compete with the growing popularity of the SG and Les Paul, and that's the tonal group it sits in.

1. Hmm...suppose I'll go with maple then.

2. I think we're thinking of different teles, or I named it incorrectly. The one I'm thinking of would be this one;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-69-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar?sku=510123

And it turns out I did misname it. I meant a 69-style thinline, sorry about that. ><

1. I would go for maple if you want the classic Tele tone. However, rosewood could be better for darker tones if you are going to play rock, indie, 90's...

2. For those models, I really don't know the differences in terms of "true" tele tone. But I would highly recommend you to try the "Classic Series" models from Fender. These guitars are made in Mexico but also Custom Shop designed and for the price you pay provide an excellent quality. I had the Classic Player Baja Telecaster for a while and it is an amazing instrument, not only the body and neck are superb but also it has two circuits built in which give you up to 6 different tones, from classic to modern. Give it a try.
Ah yes. The '72 has humbucker pickups, that one obviously doesn't.

I can't say I've played a '69 one myself, my only Thinline experience has been with the '72 version. That said just looking at the specs, the '69 is still going to sound rather different. They're made of mahogany on most finishes except ash on the sunburst finish. That means unless you get the sunburst one, then right off the bat it's going to have a much darker tone than regular Teles.

As far as the hollow vs solid body goes, basically no matter what wood or guitar type you're talking about, making a guitar a hollow or semi-hollow will increase it's bottom-end, take off some of the brighter snap and pop, generally it will lose some note definition and in some cases sustain will be improved. It is all-round a thicker, darker tone.

Obviously that combined with the mahogany body is going to make that Tele sound really very different to a regular solid ash bodied Tele. Much darker, much heavier-sounding. At least that '69 does have the usual Telecaster bridge setup though so it should still retain most of the 'Tele twang'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hmm...well, after listening to clips on youtube(I know it's in no way a good place to get tone judgment from), I'm leaning towards a solidbody ash tele, but I suppose I'll give both a try tomorrow when I head to a local shop to purchase a new tremolo bar, as the current one for my strat has been stripped.