Hey guys!
Got a question about poweramps.
Will the Marshall 20/20 poweramp with EL84s do metal well? Or any EL84s for that matter?
ok yeah you know how 6l6 have the more american voiced saturated tone and el34s give more of a british mid punch. i ll be playing my JMP1 which is currently getting the sound i want from a preamp. but how would it sound through one of he EL84 poweramps (marshall 20/20 or mesa 20/20)? has anyone ever had that?
Any tube can do any type of music. Don't ask about the tube, ask about the amp.
With the 20/20, or most any power amp, it all depends on the preamp in front of it.
The only issue you might run into with that power amp is that it is a smaller one, so you'll want to compensate for the bass you're going to lose by using bassier speakers.
and also clean tone is gonna break up earlier. does anyone know how El84s affect tone at higher gain levels? i read the tube sticky and it doesnt really say what an EL84 does to someone tone in high gain metal.
Hit with a higher gain signal there's going to be a little more fizz and compression than with a bigger power section. You're going to have less bass than with a bigger amp, but more harmonic content as well.
Some sweeping generalizations that might not always be true, but may help your search:
Smaller power sections = more tube OD, which = more compression, harmonics, more OD pushed
Bigger power section = more bass, stiffer bass response, more open sound, more clean headroom
the preamp usually makes the distortion, by the time the poweramp tubes are going to overdrive your neighbors already called the police twice.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
i really don't know, but frankly i would not change the 6l6 tubes, i have them in my amp and a never gonna change to EL84s. and the 6l6 tubes break up earlier.
oh and one more thing: the Marshall 20/20 is a Class A amp, for metal a Class A/B amp would better.

I believe you have been misinformed. The 20/20 comes stock with EL84's which are a small 9 pin power tube. The various 6L6 types and EL34's are large 8 pin power tubes. The two types are not interchangeable.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
I believe you have been misinformed. The 20/20 comes stock with EL84's which are a small 9 pin power tube. The various 6L6 types and EL34's are large 8 pin power tubes. The two types are not interchangeable.

Sorry, I always mix that two one, so i meant the correct one