I started a band a few months ago. We started covering The Unforgiven (Metallica) and Blood Brothers (Iron Maiden), just to start with something.

I had advertised for members ready to play progressive symphonic power metal. And in the advertisement it said that clearly. I evens stated that I was also influence by death metal and black metal and other metal genres as well as film-scores and orchestral music.

Okey, so we started with the covers because we are looking for a keyboard player and a singer.
So now the problems are:
1. Guitarist thinks we are gonna be playing Metallica, Nirvana, AC/DC music. Even though I have told him that we aren't playing that style and he should look at the advertisement I made for the band. And still he doesn't get it.
2. I feel like he knows like a lot of songs but he doesn't add anything to his lit of songs. Sure, he knows a lot of songs by Metallica and AC/DC or something but like Blood Brothers he has had ****ing 4-5 weeks to learn it and he doesn't even know the lead intro part.
3. He expects we are gonna be going to write songs and play in a Music Competition (is very, very soon). But he cannot get through the covers we play.

The Drummer and Bassists are really good though. Bassist has over 7 years of experiance and the drummer 3 and they are really good and want to be playing music.

Now what do I do about the Guitarist? Should I just go on with the Bassist and Drummer and look for a keyboardist and singer?

EDITED NUMBER 3: Because I was in a hurry going to class I forgot adding he cannot even go through the covers and he expects going to an music competition very soon and we don't have any useful songs yet only ideas and riffs.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Jan 27, 2009,
Talk to the guitarist with the whole band face to face and explain clearly and precisley all the problems you are feeling and how you think they can be resolved with his cooperation. For this he will either respect you, or say f*** you and leave, either way, problem solved
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Seems like you've pretty much got it set in terms of what to do. I think if the guitarist can't read fine print, then ... why hold yourself back with him?
1. if he doesn't have the capabilities to play what you guys are able to play; he'll just hold you back.
2. and if he doesn't know many of the songs you actually want to play, why bother?
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Thanks guys.

Well, he is capable of playing the song but he just doesn't seem to learn anything new. He seems to know a lot of Metallica and a few pantera and slayer songs but he doesn't learn anything new.
Then ofcourse he just doesn't seem to understand the words progressive Symphonic Power Metal :S

But guys, I'll try the suggestions you've offered.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Quote by Gulli05
Thanks guys.

Well, he is capable of playing the song but he just doesn't seem to learn anything new. He seems to know a lot of Metallica and a few pantera and slayer songs but he doesn't learn anything new.
Then ofcourse he just doesn't seem to understand the words progressive Symphonic Power Metal :S

WTF is "progressive Symphonic Power Metal" and WTF is up with the metal scenes obsession of this ridiculous subcategorizing?!
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Quote by AllUrBase
WTF is "progressive Symphonic Power Metal" and WTF is up with the metal scenes obsession of this ridiculous subcategorizing?!

Imagine this:
- a trumpet player playing Dragonforce

That's what this is.

@OP, what's wrong with point 3? He wants to write new songs and you just want to cover everything? That's a lame band.
Nevermind the sub-genres. my friend plays Epic Progressive Symphonic Power Viking Metal :S
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Quote by Gulli05
Nevermind the sub-genres. my friend plays Epic Progressive Symphonic Power Viking Metal :S

I like to call it "Distortion Music"

Whats make them so Epic and Progressive anyhow? How is progressive defined?
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I like to call it "Distortion Music"

Whats make them so Epic and Progressive anyhow? How is progressive defined?

I always thought of progressive as music that doesn't stick to a particular key or style, just wanders around to whatever sounds good. A lot of modulations and switching between clean and distorted (on both vocals and instruments), that kind of thing. I don't know if that's the true definition but that's just what springs to my mind.
Maybe that's because the only two "progressive" metal bands I know are Opeth and the one Petrucci's in (can't think of the name right now).
The epic part makes me think of very long songs, like Epic poems that last forever.

As for the thread starter: speak to the guitarist, tell him what you want (maybe play an example of the type of music you want to play). If he still refuses to do what the rest of the band wants then you'll have to drop him.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Last edited by LeperAffinity at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

@OP, what's wrong with point 3? He wants to write new songs and you just want to cover everything? That's a lame band.

Sorry about that look at my first post at the bottom of it "EDITTED NUMBER 3:....", the thing is I want to write songs I am all the time writing for riffs and licks. The problem about him is he thinks he'll be able to write these songs and practice for the competition but I doubt it will work. I am sorry, it was my mistake with the number 3 thing, I was hurrying because I had an english class starting.
So here it is: I, Drummer and Bassist are going for the musical style we play but he is sort of still thinking Metallica and Nirvana and stuff.

Btw, I have been doing most of the work around the band. Getting members and an place to practice at, finding time and planing all the stuff.

Progressive metal: Strange timings, tempo changes and a lot of complex stuff
Power Metal: Power metal is like Nightwish, Helloween, Rapsody of fire, Symphony X (in a way they are), etc..
Symphonic Metal: Orchestral Effects and Metal combined, it is good stuff
And with these wings

-Symphony X
But isn't it stupid to stick yourself into one group?
You will be forced to write 13/5 songs with weird time changes even if they don't fit.
That's stupid.
Just be a "metal" band and write whatever fits the song, don't force genre rules onto it.
Dragonforce is definitely Power Metal, and the fact that you forgot Helloween makes me very disappointed in you.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
But isn't it stupid to stick yourself into one group?
You will be forced to write 13/5 songs with weird time changes even if they don't fit.
That's stupid.
Just be a "metal" band and write whatever fits the song, don't force genre rules onto it.

Actually, I just write in whatever fits my theme. I don't write in 5/4 or 7/4 or 18/8 or whatever to fit into a genre, I just write in 4/4 if it fits the song and if it fits to use 6/4 and then suddenly change to 13/8 I just do so. But all of my songs do include some Symphonic/Orchestral Effects and instruemnts

Okey, now lets stop this genre bull****, I already know there are too many sub-genres and I just put an genre because some people ask "WHat kind of metal do you play?"
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Dragonforce is definitely Power Metal, and the fact that you forgot Helloween makes me very disappointed in you.

I know dragonforce is power metal but they are well some people think all power metal is like Dragonforce. Helloween, I don't really listen so much but the bands I listed are just a few examples, I didn't forget anything really
And with these wings

-Symphony X
I'd just boot the guitarist, you don't really need 2 guitarists once you get a keyboardist, plenty of progressive/power metal bands have 1 guitarist and keyboardist. I don't think he gets the sound you're going for anyways, and probably won't like it once he does.
Quote by Sylvanus
I'd just boot the guitarist, you don't really need 2 guitarists once you get a keyboardist, plenty of progressive/power metal bands have 1 guitarist and keyboardist. I don't think he gets the sound you're going for anyways, and probably won't like it once he does.

This is exaclty what one of my friends said (The one in the Epic Progressive Symphonic-whatever-metal band). I am gonna try talk to him and if it doesn't work then I'll guess I'll boot him.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Quote by ChevyChe 23
So basically, you're looking to make a metal Oingo-Boingo?

A Metal-What-?
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Quote by AllUrBase

Symphony X.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Just let the music write itself, if the guitarist doesn't wish to go in the same musical direction let him know he is free to leave at any time, but this is the direction that your band is going in.
Personally as far as the covers thing goes, I'd prefere to have a musician in the band that wants to write new material than cover other peoples. Also are you 100% certain that the bassist and drummer want to go in the direction you want to go in? This is generally where allot of problems can occur in a band, certain members just quitely get on with it in practice but behind the scenes they are talking amongst themselves in terms of what direction they actually want to go in, it could be that you are just taking the lead in practice and they are just going along with it. Now I'm not saying this IS going on but just suggesting it could be.
My advice would be to set up a band meeting, only in a pub or somewhere casual, and discuss all the band issues, like for instance let them know what you want to do with the band and let everyone else have their individual say, if all agree ask them to help you out with getting new members etc. A band has to work as a unit, too many individual attitudes will eventually drive a band apart, no matter how good or bad the music is, this is something I've been struggling with in my own band lately.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Just let the music write itself, if the guitarist doesn't wish to go in the same musical direction let him know he is free to leave at any time, but this is the direction that your band is going in.
Personally as far as the covers thing goes, I'd prefere to have a musician in the band that wants to write new material than cover other peoples. Also are you 100% certain that the bassist and drummer want to go in the direction you want to go in? This is generally where allot of problems can occur in a band, certain members just quitely get on with it in practice but behind the scenes they are talking amongst themselves in terms of what direction they actually want to go in, it could be that you are just taking the lead in practice and they are just going along with it. Now I'm not saying this IS going on but just suggesting it could be.
My advice would be to set up a band meeting, only in a pub or somewhere casual, and discuss all the band issues, like for instance let them know what you want to do with the band and let everyone else have their individual say, if all agree ask them to help you out with getting new members etc. A band has to work as a unit, too many individual attitudes will eventually drive a band apart, no matter how good or bad the music is, this is something I've been struggling with in my own band lately.

Well, sure the guitarist wants to writes music but he doesn't fit our musical direction.

I know the Drummer wants to play Progressive Symphonic Power Metal. I know the Bassist is just a metal head who listens to Heavy metal to progressive, to power metal to all metal genres found on earth.
The thing is I said in my advertisement: "LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO BE IN A SYMPHONIC POWER METAL."

But I'll talk to them in a band meeting and see.
And with these wings

-Symphony X