Hey guys. Im using a Bugera 333xl with stock el34's. I play metal, and atm I cant seem to get a very brutal tone, the amp always sound too laid back, a very unagressive gain. Im using a Boss ge-7 and a ds-1, which doesnt seem to help. Any tone suggestions, or should I try 6l6?
No, maybe try a different brand , like JJ's. and also switch out the pre-amp tubes, also JJ's or Tung Sols.
Orange Enthousiast.
Where would I go about getting new preamp tubes? Any suggestion? I like a nice tight saturated tone if anyone knows All Shall Perish, I also really like the Lamb of God tone.
Your local music store. Pre-amp tubes are really easy to install yourself, I just did it myself last week, and I'm no handy person.

I sugest JJ tubes or TungSols.
Orange Enthousiast.
Is there no specific type of jj or tungsol I should go for? Is this actually gonna change my tone, and solve the mentioned problem?
How much do they cost roughly? Im in the uk. How many will I need?
I get my tubes from this site: http://www.banzaieffects.com/, good pricing and quick delivery.

JJ Tubes: http://www.banzaieffects.com/JJ-Standard-c-611.html
Tung Sol: http://www.banzaieffects.com/Tung-Sol-c-281.html

if you're wanting to switch to JJ 6L6s, these are what you're after. You'll need 4 for your 333XL.

For pre-amp tubes, it takes 4 12AX7s, JJ ones are: unmatched and matched & balanced.

Tung Sols are a bit on the pricey side, but for reference: unmatched and http://www.banzaieffects.com/12AX7-TungSol-Gold-Matched-Balanced-pr-15009.html">matched.

As for whether new tubes will solve your problems, many people with Bugera amps say that with new tubes they SING, but I'm not promising miracles.

It's also worth noting that EL34s tend to have a bit more mid-range and crunch than 6L6s do, which are a bit smoother with better low end response. Choose whatever suits you best!

Hope this helps.

Edit: Did you mean DS-1 as in a distortion pedal? You could also look at getting an overdrive pedal to boost the amp; good yet cheap ones to look at are the Bad Monkey and Boss SD-1, if you're looking to spend more there's Ibanez Tubescreamers, Maxon ODs and hundreds more, but there's lots of info on OD pedals all over these forums, so check those too.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Last edited by Persata at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by sdmf.1919
Is there no specific type of jj or tungsol I should go for? Is this actually gonna change my tone, and solve the mentioned problem?
How much do they cost roughly? Im in the uk. How many will I need?

Hey man, you gotta go to eurotubes.com. The guy who runs the website is a dedicated guitarist by the name of Bob Pletka, and he is intimately involved in the tube production, resale, modding, and theory world, and he deals JJ's. He is incredibly personal and gracious, and if you email the site the person answering is literally him, not some sales associate or something.

If you email him with your questions, he will take the time to investigate your amp and give you recommendations based on your desired tone. Not only that, but based on your tone demands, the man will hand select and grade-match pre amp and power amp tubes to get the sound you need out of your amp.

He also has put together re-tube packages for un-experienced re-tubers, all of which he hand selects and grade-matches. He has got 9 unique re-tube kits for the Bugera 333XL, and every one of them will yield a different result. He's got 'em running from a standard upgrade to JJ's with EL34's, a High Gain EL34's package, gold pin packages for both of those, and also 6L6GC's options, as well as the elusive KT77's !!!

Seriously my friend, I started ordering re-tube stuff from him years ago and never looked back. His grade-matching service ALONE makes it worth your while, and also the fact that he will beat most anyone's price on tubes.
Great advice from everyone. Bugera LOVES JJs tubes.

Being 333XL owner myself can I suggest maxing out your volume levels and putting the master to AT LEAST 4. A good 412 cab will also do wonders for the low end.

For leads I boost the front of mine a DS-1. (Level max, Tone 4, Dist 3)
Quote by lumberjack
Hey man, you gotta go to eurotubes.com. The guy who runs the website is a dedicated guitarist by the name of Bob Pletka, and he is intimately involved in the tube production, resale, modding, and theory world, and he deals JJ's. He is incredibly personal and gracious, and if you email the site the person answering is literally him, not some sales associate or something.

If you email him with your questions, he will take the time to investigate your amp and give you recommendations based on your desired tone. Not only that, but based on your tone demands, the man will hand select and grade-match pre amp and power amp tubes to get the sound you need out of your amp.

He also has put together re-tube packages for un-experienced re-tubers, all of which he hand selects and grade-matches. He has got 9 unique re-tube kits for the Bugera 333XL, and every one of them will yield a different result. He's got 'em running from a standard upgrade to JJ's with EL34's, a High Gain EL34's package, gold pin packages for both of those, and also 6L6GC's options, as well as the elusive KT77's !!!

Seriously my friend, I started ordering re-tube stuff from him years ago and never looked back. His grade-matching service ALONE makes it worth your while, and also the fact that he will beat most anyone's price on tubes.

I have to disagree with a couple of points here..

I wouldn't trust a guy to recommend me tubes for an amp when he only sells one brand of tubes, JJ's.

Selecting working tubes and matching them is standard from ALL established tube vendors.

Lots of people have horror stories with Bob Pletka, his employees, and his service (Just look on HCAF).

I'd recommend Dougs Tubes or thetubestore over Eurotubes any day tbh.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1640242
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h

I wouldn't trust a guy to recommend me tubes for an amp when he only sells one brand of tubes, JJ's.

Selecting working tubes and matching them is standard from ALL established tube vendors.

Lots of people have horror stories with Bob Pletka, his employees, and his service (Just look on HCAF).

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1640242

I was gonna say this, never trust a guy who only recommends what he sells.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by mike.h

I completely agree. Bob P. was very unprofessional when addressing the topic of using JJ E34L tubes in Peavey amps. He went so far as to publically call out and ridicule a senior Peavey amp tech on the matter.
thetubestore, dougestubes or thetubedepot are far better options when buying tubes online.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
If u haven't had the amp long i suggest you try to trade it in for the 6262, or at least play one and see if u like it better.