Im trying to learn to play fast, but have no idea where to start.
Anyone got any suggestions on techniques/songs i could learn to help this. I've been playing for just over a year and don't practice nearly enough, so I don't really wan't anything crazy fast, just enough so i can do some slightly fast solo stuff.
practice against a metronome son!
If I Was Chocolate I Swear I'd Eat Myself - Wesley Gibson (WANTED)
^ That's a good starting point.

Also work on getting your alternate picking down really well and practice exercises that stress your current finger dexterity.Since you're still relatively new to playing fast your fingers may have trouble with complex/fast movements and might collapse on each other or cause you to have troubles with your timing.If you challenge yourself with things that are just beyond your ability and work your way up to them then you'll notice your overall speed/technicality increasing.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

A smart ****in' guy once said "Speed is the product of Accuracy"

Just keep practicing, and eventually you'll be able to. Work on Alternate picking exercises, Sweep Picking, etc.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Get really good at playing slow, that's pretty much all there is to it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
try with a metranome on 40bpm 1 2 3 4 on the thick E string followed by 2 3 4 5 on the A and so on and the backwards. Eventually increase your speed.
Feel the rhythm on slow first. Also try to create exercises that come out of yourself (slightly closer to music). Things have to come out of yourself then you'll learn
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by V.U.K
A smart ****in' guy once said, "speed is the biproduct of accuracy"

Fixed and QFT.
The way I learn is to practice whatever song I'm working on at a slower speed. I use Audacity to slow tracks down, then play along with the slower tracks. Once it gets easy at a speed, I move the speed up and start over again.

Since I don't feel like hauling my computer upstairs to where I practice, usually I burn a cd with whatever song I'm working on with it at 1/2 speed, 3/4 speed and full speed, though next time I'll probably do it at 60%, 80% and full speed, because 1/2 speed is fairly useless, and 3/4 to full speed is a bit of a gap. Having it on cd works well because it's portable. It goes to my lessons with me, and can also go anywhere else.
Quote by V.U.K
A smart ****in' guy once said "Speed is the product of Accuracy"

Just keep practicing, and eventually you'll be able to. Work on Alternate picking exercises, Sweep Picking, etc.

Accuracy AND Economy