I know this question is often relative to the individual or depends on how much time you have tospare etc. But what do you think I should set as a minimum practice time per day? At the moment I do between 1-1+half hours a night on week nights, but at the weekend, I'll do a bit more (although some of that time is playing...rather than 'practicing').
1 1/2 hours is definately long enough if it is solid practice. Just make sure you focus and make the most of the time.
I practice about 30-60 minutes per day. I rarely do exercises, just some riffs and then a few songs I like.
If you want to see weekly improvement, then at least 2.5 to 3 hours a day of strict practicing. With a Metronome, going over scales, exercises, etc.

I usually practice for about 3-5 hours a day, but I play something like 14 hours a day :p

I always have my guitar with me to noodle on
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
If you want to see weekly improvement, then at least 2.5 to 3 hours a day of strict practicing. With a Metronome, going over scales, exercises, etc.

I usually practice for about 3-5 hours a day, but I play something like 14 hours a day :p

I'd love to have the time to practice that much! Stupid, damn school gets in the way. Oh well, guess I could substitute some sleeping time for guitar time in future.
From what I've read, you want to spend a least 20 minutes a day practicing. The trick is it has to happen EVERY day. A little bit every day is better than one four hour session on Saturday.
As long you practice regularly and try to learn new things you will soon improve. Sometimes it is good to have a break for a few days so you go back to it eager for more and with new ideas to try out. I don't practice for more than an hour a day normally unless I am really getting into it.

To the guy who practices 25+ hours make sure you always give 110% effort !!!!!

Quote by MorbidBeliever
I practice about 4-5 hours a day, sometimes 6...

I wish I had that kind of time if I didnt have a job I would
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
When I first started I practiced on and off 3 hour intervals. Usually at least 6 hours a day. Why? Well, within 2 months of playing, I was playing Canon Rock and Arpeggios From Hell. I'm not "gifted"; anyone can do it, you just need to practice. Also, have great inspirations. I became a good guitarist by having great influences like Antti Kokko, Yngwie Malmsteen, Alexi Laiho, and a few others. Reason why? Because you'll want to play like them even more, and when you feel that urge, you practice a lot more, and you can get a feel for harder music. People who have influences like Chiodos and all that garbage don't get anywhere, because it's not real inspiration. They'll just be playing chords and simple riffs forever. That's probably the main reason I got so deep into metal.

Story short: Have a good set of desires, and that will give you even more of a want to practice. Don't think of practicing as a need. And this goes for everything. If you feel like you NEED to practice something, you don't want it. You have to WANT to practice.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
When I first started I practiced on and off 3 hour intervals. Usually at least 6 hours a day. Why? Well, within 2 months of playing, I was playing Canon Rock and Arpeggios From Hell. I'm not "gifted"; anyone can do it, you just need to practice. Also, have great inspirations. I became a good guitarist by having great influences like Antti Kokko, Yngwie Malmsteen, Alexi Laiho, and a few others. Reason why? Because you'll want to play like them even more, and when you feel that urge, you practice a lot more, and you can get a feel for harder music. People who have influences like Chiodos and all that garbage don't get anywhere, because it's not real inspiration. They'll just be playing chords and simple riffs forever. That's probably the main reason I got so deep into metal.

Story short: Have a good set of desires, and that will give you even more of a want to practice. Don't think of practicing as a need. And this goes for everything. If you feel like you NEED to practice something, you don't want it. You have to WANT to practice.

I just checked out all of your skills.

You can definatly not play Arpeggios from Hell and Canon Rock and make it sound good.
The sweeping was sloppy as hell, the "solo" was just random notes, the pinch harmonic wasn't very "metal", it was just the harmonic, no epic squeal or anything.

Your just trying to get fast to fast man, slow down.
... I have a recording of Arpeggios From Hell, not Canon Rock yet. I just haven't put it up yet. The solo was from Stabwound by Necrophagist. The sweeping was sloppy because it was in standard. The pinch harmonics was improved from the Deththeme. The Tremolo was from Dissection's A Land Forlorn. I'll record more for you tomorrow, just got a get new high e.
Last edited by xChristgrindeRx at Jan 27, 2009,
The solo sucked man, I don't care if it's improvised or not and the bends were badly out of tune.
If you're gonna sweep, you're gonna be able to sweep with every tuning man.
The pinch harmonics still sound weak as hell.

Sloooow it down dude, you have great potential but your rushing it too much.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Edited my post. Read again. I thought you were talking about the shred.

please post the recording.
Quote by V.U.K

That's just flat out wrong. Beginners should NOT practice to that extent without working their way up. It can cause injury. One has to be pretty advanced to require that amount of practice to see improvement weekly.
Take it easy. Guitar playing should be fun, not a chore. You don't have to see improvement after a week, just keep jamming and one day you'll realize that you sound better than you did when you first began.
When I first started I practiced on and off 3 hour intervals. Usually at least 6 hours a day. Why? Well, within 2 months of playing, I was playing Canon Rock and Arpeggios From Hell.

Wrong.
I'm not "gifted";

Too true. Bit full of yourself without good reason?

The solo was from Stabwound by Necrophagist. The sweeping was sloppy because it was in standard.

That shouldn't matter, notes are notes whatever tuning you use, and yours were sloppy.
The pinch harmonics was improved from the Deththeme.

Improv'd or not you can't do them.

The solo sucked man, I don't care if it's improvised or not and the bends were badly out of tune.
If you're gonna sweep, you're gonna be able to sweep with every tuning man.
The pinch harmonics still sound weak as hell.

Sloooow it down dude, you have great potential but your rushing it too much.

This.
I'd have to say practice as long as you're enjoying it. Once you get sick of it stop. I mean I oftentimes practice around 4-5, sometimes 6 hours a DAY (and yes, I go to school, and yes, I have a job. You just practice around your schedule) and I'm not gunna say I'm amazing from it, I practice that much because I want to continue to improve and keep getting better. Practicing a lot has taken me a LONG way.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Washburn BT-2 (Maverick Series)
Squire Strat (I HATE IT!)
Ovation Celebrity (Electric Acousic)

Amp:
Peavey Rage 158

Other Stuff:
Jim Dunlop Jazz III Picks
D'Addario XL Nickel Strings