So I want to swap new pups in my Ibanez.

I have an ibanez Sa120 full mahogany body maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

So I want to go for Dimarzio's (maybe something else, but that's why I make this thread )

So I got the following "Questions";

- Tonezone (bridge), Air Norton (Neck) combination.
- I'm almost 100% certain on the Air Norton, and I like the sound of a TZ.

Problem is, I only heard TZ in Basswood and Alder bodies. I think it might add to much low end/mud to my sound. However the Dilemma is, I like the mid range (character) of the TZ alot.

I want the Air Norton, because I like it's harmonic characters, and I like this pup so much, that this is like almost 100% certain.

So what do you guys Recommend?

EDIT; Instrumental rock, I guess something like Petrucci's or Satch. I find the VAI pups to "vai sounding" to be versatile enough.

I want a more dynamic pup, cause atm I have stock Ibanez, and they are just low quality (poorly eq-ued poorly dynamics, muddy)

I play a tube amp (Laney VC 30), but atm I play through a cheap Multi FX.

I'm also going to make split options on the Bridge and Neck pup, but they are more of a "fun add" and not my main necessity.

EDIT 2:

These are the current pups, I thought I'd give as much info as possible.

Bridge Pickup
Name: AXIS HUMBUCKER 6
Model No: AH6
Construction: Humbucking
Magnet: Alnico
Description: Full bass sound. Alnico-5 magnet provides excellent clarity in harmonics and individual notes.

Neck Pickup
Name: AXIS HUMBUCKER 5
Model No: AH5
Construction: Humbucking
Magnet: Ceramic
Description: Very responsive and full sounding; medium output with lots of character. Excellent for chording.

This is how they are wired (and how I want to rewire the new pups (the 1 and 5 posistion is priority, and the other positions are just to play around with);

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 27, 2009,
Whats your current amp/music you play too?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I recommend doing what you think is right for your set up

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Style of music,amp being used,and tone you're looking for please

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Tyler Durden
I recommend doing what you think is right for your set up

Like I said in my OP, I only heard the TZ in ALDER bodies. I want to know if it is too muddy in Mahogany.

If someone can provide with a sound clip or confirm this is not the case, then my question is answered.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Pr0gNut
Style of music,amp being used,and tone you're looking for please

Edit in my original post

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I wouldn't put the Tone Zone in a mahgoany guitar, I'd go for the Norton (not Air Norton) instead with a Humbucker from Hell in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 27, 2009,
Dimarzio DP100 Super distortion in the bridge.
DiMarzio DP158 Evolution in the neck.

Excellent balance!

Additionally, you might consider when installing to tap the coil therefore giving the capability of splitting the humbucker(s) into a single coil.

I have a solid mahagony Les Paul and these two pickups are a sick combination!
Quote by steven seagull
I wouldn't put the Tone Zone in a mahgoany guitar, I'd go for the Norton (not Air Norton) instead with a Humbucker from Hell in the neck.

Hmmm that Norton in the bridge seems good idea, but I'm not too sure about the Humbucker from hell, do you have any sound clip/links to it?

cause although I want a bit clearer pups then my current ones, I don't wanna lose all my low end, cause I like the darkish sound of my guitar. I Want like a dark overal character, but with a clear "rasp" on top, but not a rasp as vintage as say an Super Distortion.

Quote by crownovercastle
Dimarzio DP100 Super distortion in the bridge.
DiMarzio DP158 Evolution in the neck.

Excellent balance!

Additionally, you might consider when installing to tap the coil therefore giving the capability of splitting the humbucker(s) into a single coil.

I have a solid mahagony Les Paul and these two pickups are a sick combination!

I thought about a Super distortion, but I find it a bit too vintage, and want a more modern Mid range.

About the evo, I find it too Vai sounding. That mid range "aah/ooh" or however you call it follows me in my dreams

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yeah, you're probaby right about the humbucker from hell then - I'm not a massive Air Norton fan personally, although I can hear what people like about it...it's just not something I like much myself. I'd be inclined to say a Breed in the neck, however if you've heard enough of the Air Norton to know it's pros and cons then by all means go with your gut instinct. The Tone Zone would just be too much in mahogany, it's a little bit too "busy" for mahogany IMO.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yeah, you're probaby right about the humbucker from hell then - I'm not a massive Air Norton fan personally, although I can hear what people like about it...it's just not something I like much myself. I'd be inclined to say a Breed in the neck, however if you've heard enough of the Air Norton to know it's pros and cons then by all means go with your gut instinct. The Tone Zone would just be too much in mahogany, it's a little bit too "busy" for mahogany IMO.

Yes, I agree with the TZ, that's why Double checked with you guys, cause I'm guessing you have more experience with pups (I have non so )

The air norton was pretty much first heard immediate loving. I will check out some breed samples on the net anyways.

Actually I changed my mind for the bridge pup. I just found out about this pup called steve's special. It has awesome dynamic, and the split coil options sound neat to. IT has that "choppy" attack which I like (like on the border of "choppy" and "Smooth".

I heard the SS in Mahogany, and me liked it, it gives exactly that bright but dark at the same time tone (hard to explain). It's a bit more vintage tone, but still quite modern.

What you think about this Steven?

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Check Dimarzio's website. They have a pickup selector page that will ask you a few questions and then give you 3 options.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -